Background and activities
- Master's Degree (Siv.ing.) in 1989 from Division of Computer Systems and Telematics, NTH (now NTNU) while working as a Teaching assistant (1988-1989). Thesis title: “Transient dependability properties in distributed systems”.
- Research Scientist (1989-1999) and Senior Research Scientist from 1999 at SINTEF Telecom and Informatics
- PhD degree (Dr.ing.) in 1998 from Department of Telematics, NTNU while working as Research Scholar (1994-1998). Thesis title:"Efficient simulation of network performance by importance sampling".
- Associate Professor at Department of Telematics, NTNU, in adjunct position (20%) in 1999-2003, reduced position (50%) in 2003-2006), and full time position since 2006. Coordinator of Network Research area 2006-2009.
- Research Scientist (1999-2001) and Senior Scientist (2001-2009) at Telenor Research and Development
- Visiting researcher (March, 2007) hosted by Dr. Sandmann at University of Bamberg, Germany
- Head of Department, Department of Telematics, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Professor at Department of Telematics, NTNU (2010-current)
- TTM4110 Dependability and Performance with Discrete Event Simulation (textbook [EHHP07]) [subject responsible]
- TTM4120 Dependable Systems. [subject responsible when Prof Helvik was on sabbatical leave 2005]
[EHHP07] Peder J. Emstad, Poul E. Heegaard, Bjarne E. Helvik, Laurent Paquereau. Dependability and performance with discrete event simulation. : Tapir akademiske forlag 2009. 278 s. NTNU
- QoS evaluation and management in communication systems and services
- rare event simulation techniques
- survivability quantification
- monitoring, routing and management in dynamic networks
- distributed, autonomous and adaptive management and routing
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) The future of information security incident management training: A case study of electrical power companies. Computers & security (Print).
- (2015) Software Performance Evaluation Utilizing UML Specification and SRN Model and Their Formal Representation. Journal of Software. vol. 10 (5).
- (2015) How to Use Mobile Communication in Critical Infrastructures: A Dependability Analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9338.
- (2014) Quantifying Influence of Strategies and Network Properties in Repairing Simultaneous Failures in Smart Grid. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2013) Detecting Period and Burst Durations in Video Streaming by means of Active Probing. International Journal of Computer and Communication Engineering. vol. 2 (4).
- (2013) Estimating Available Bandwidth on Access Links by Means of Stratified Probing. International Journal of Electrical Energy. vol. 1 (4).
- (2013) Interdependency Modeling in Smart Grid and the Influence of ICT on Dependability. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2013) Modeling and Quantifying the Survivability of Telecommunication Network Systems under Fault Propagation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8115.
- (2013) Network Survivability under Disaster Propagation: Modeling and Analysis. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference : Proceedings.
- (2012) Effects of Dynamic Cloud Cluster Load on Differentiated Service Availability. International Conference on Data Networks, Communications, Computers - Proceedings.
- (2012) A performability modeling framework considering service components deployment. International Journal On Advances in Networks and Services. vol. 5 (3&4).
- (2012) Improving Fairness in QoS and QoE domains for Adaptive Video Streaming. International Journal On Advances in Networks and Services. vol. 5 (3&4).
- (2012) Modeling and Analysis of the Survivability of an Infrastructure-Based Wireless Network. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7479.
- (2011) A Bio-inspired Method for Distributed Deployment of Services. New generation computing. vol. 29 (2).
- (2011) Derivation of Stochastic Reward Net (SRN) from UML Specification Considering Cost Efficient Deployment Management of Collaborative Service Components. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA). vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) A performance modeling framework incorporating cost efficient deployment of multiple collaborating components. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 179.
- (2011) A performance modeling framework incorporating service components deployment issue. International Proceedings of Computer Science and Information Technology. vol. 5.
- (2011) A Monitor Plane Component for Adaptive Video Streaming. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2010) Optimization and Service Deployment in Private and Public Clouds. ERCIM News.
- (2010) Swarm Intelligence Heuristics for Component Deployment. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6164.