Department of Language and Literature
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Short biography Max 160 characters [0/160]
I am an Associate Professor of English linguistics in the Department of Modern Foreign Languages at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Before I came to Trondheim, I did my PhD in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Maryland in the United States. And before that, I did an undergraduate degree in linguistics and Nordic languages at the University of Oslo in Norway.
I study how words are put together to sentences and what the meanings of those sentences are. So far I have particularly been concerned with how to account for certain constraints that human languages exhibit on displacement (e.g., why you can say "What did John say that Peter wrote?" but you cannot say "What did John kick the ball because Mary played?") and with how we can give a ‘simple’ theory of how structures and meanings combine to yield utterances.
My dissertation "Without Specifiers: Phrase Structure and Events" argues that it is possible to provide a simple theory of sentence structure and of sentence meanings, and that by adopting such a theory, it is possible to develop a theory where the interface between these two components of the grammar is reasonable transparent. Specifically, I argue that a theory of phrase structure that does not make use of specifiers and a theory using Neo-Davidsonian logical forms offer exactly the right match. This, in turn, raises issues about the syntax and the semantics components, and what we mean by ‘simplicity’ and ‘transparency’.
I am also interested in the history of modern grammatical theory, and how particular frameworks differ and how and why they evolved. In addition, I have a deep interest in fundamental philosophical questions as they pertain to linguistics. These include: What is the capacity for language? How does it arise in the individual? How is it put to use? More specifically, I focus on how to characterize linguistic knowledge and whether such knowledge involves notions such as truth and reference when it comes to the meaning of sentences.
Besides linguistics, I am also interested in higher education, science, and politics. Sometimes I write about such issues in Norwegian newspapers and journals.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Grammatikkeliten er her. Dagens næringsliv.
- (2013) Næringlivet og UiB. På Høyden ( UiBs nettavis).
- (2013) Akademia og næringsliv i skjønn forening. Morgenbladet. volum 194 (1).
- (2012) Medial adjunct PPs in English: Implications for the syntax of sentential negation. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. volum 35 (1).
- (2012) Chomskys status og teorier. Salongen : Nettstedet for filosofi og idéhistorie.
- (2012) Dypstruktur. Store Norske Leksikon (Nettutgaven).
- (2012) Et landskap i endring. Norsklæreren.
- (2012) Generativ grammatikk. Store Norske Leksikon (Nettutgaven).
- (2012) Noam Chomsky. Store Norske Leksikon (Nettutgaven).
- (2012) Steven Pinker. Store Norske Leksikon (Nettutgaven).
- (2012) Stor verdi i å bidra. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.).
- (2011) Freezing Effects and Objects. Journal of Linguistics. volum 47.
- (2011) Review Article: Introducing the Minimalist Programme to Students of English. English Language and Linguistics. volum 15.
- (2011) Interrogatives, Instructions, and I-languages: An I-Semantics for Questions. Linguistic Analysis. volum 37.
- (2010) Anmeldelse av Marit Westergaards "The Acquisition of Word Order". Norsk lingvistisk tidsskrift. volum 28.
- (2010) Medial-wh Phenomena, Parallel Movement, and Parameters. Linguistic Analysis. volum 34.
- (2010) More on Scope Illusions. Journal of Semantics. volum 27.
- (2010) Government-Binding/Principles and Parameters Theory. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science. volum 1.
- (2010) The Logic of Parametric Theories. Theoretical Linguistics. volum 36.
- (2009) Comp-t Effects: Variation in the Position and Features of C. Studia Linguistica. volum 63.
- (2013) In Search of Universal Grammar: From Old Norse to Zoque. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 2013. ISBN 9789027255853. Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today (202).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Introduction. In Search of Universal Grammar: From Old Norse to Zoque.
- (2013) Negation. The Bloomsbury Companion to Syntax.
- (2012) Towards the end of argument structure. The End of Argument Structure?.
- (2012) Norwegian som: The complementizer that climbed to the matrix Left Periphery and caused Verb Second violations. Enjoy Linguistics! Papers offered to Luigi Rizzi on the occasion of his 60th birthday.
- (2013) Vil redde Jesu morsmål. NRK [Avis]. 2013-02-01.
- (2012) Are the humanities useful?. 50th Anniversary of Agder Academy of Science and Letters . Agder Vitenskapsakademi; 2012-10-27.
- (2012) Den fantastiske språkevnen. Greveakademiet . Greveskogen videregående skole; Tønsberg. 2012-12-05.
- (2012) Han skriver seg inn i historiebøkene. Farsunds Avis [Avis]. 2012-09-17.
- (2012) Hva vil det si å være menneske?. Språkteigen [Radio]. 2012-09-23.
- (2012) NTNU har to av de ti beste. Universitetsavisa [Internett]. 2012-09-14.
- (2012) Språkorganisten. Morgenbladet [Avis]. 2012-09-14.
- (2012) Stjernelingvist med beina på jorda. Uniforum [Internett]. 2012-06-14.
- (2012) Tok doktorgrad i rekordfart. Farsunds Avis [Avis]. 2012-03-05.
- (2012) Roper på næringslivet. Dagens Næringsliv [Avis]. 2012-10-12.
- (2010) Freezing Effects and Objects. Colloquium . Universität Leipzig; 2010-04-23.