Background and activities
The ScienceHumanities research group at Department of teacher education, NTNU
In the ScienceHumanities research group, we use perspectives from the humanities and the social sciences to study natural science (including school science) as practice and culture, past and present. E.g. we study the history of science and science education, Nature of science in textbooks and classroom practice, writing cultures from a sociocultural perspective, students’ understanding of science, practical experiments in science teaching.
I hold a M.Sc. in chemistry/chemistry education (1998) and a PhD in chemistry education/history of chemistry (2005). Research interests include the history of 20th century chemistry in Norway, studies of technical-chemical education in Norway, radioactivity and nuclear science, the periodic system, the material culture of chemistry, women in chemistry, collaborative couples in the sciences, textbooks in chemistry, 19th and 20th century teaching practices and tools, small-scale experiments in chemistry education, writing cultures and practices in science.
Members of the research group:
Annette Lykknes (chair)
PhD student Mirtachew T. Ali: "Development and Use of Low-Cost Locally Available Instructional Materials as a Vehicle for Enhancing the Quality of High School Chemistry Education in Ethiopia"
Master student Synne Apold Korsbrekke: "Students' understanding of atoms and molecules"
Master student Birgitte Fisketjøn: "Writing argumentative texts on acids and bases"
Master student Siri Leirbekk Mjøsund: "Nature of science and the laboratory report"
Courses: Chemistry didactics (PPU 4224/4727) - Episodes in the history of the natural sciences (RFEL 3093) - Elective theory (LPY3006 - Master of science education)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Relationships between Academia, State and Industry in the Field of Food and Nutrition: The Norwegian Chemist Sigval Schmidt-Nielsen (1877-1956) and His Professional Roles, 1900-1950. Centaurus. vol. 58.
- (2015) ‘Named small but doing great’: an investigation of small-scale chemistry experimentation for effective undergraduate practical work. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. vol. 15 (3).
- (2014) SMALL-SCALE CHEMISTRY FOR A HANDS-ON APPROACH TO CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL WORK IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS:EXPERIENCES FROM ETHIOPIA. African Journal of Chemical Education. vol. 4 (3).
- (2012) Reconstructing Iconic Experiments in Electrochemistry: Experiences from a History of Science Course. Science & Education. vol. 21 (2).
- (2005) Ellen Gleditsch: Duty and Responsibility in a research and teaching career, 1916 - 1946. Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences. vol. 36 (1).
- (2005) Ellen Gleditsch: Duty and Responsibility in a research and teaching career, 1916-1946. Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences. vol. 36 (1).
- (2004) Appreciated abroad! Depreciated at home? The Career of a Radiochemist in Norway: Ellen Gleditsch (1879-1968). Isis (Chicago, Ill.). vol. 95.
- (2004) Struggles and Achievements. Ellen Gleditsch (1879-1968): Norwegian Female Radiochemist. Studies in the History of Sciences and Humanities = Práze z dejin vedy. vol. 13.
- (2004) Ellen Gleditsch: Pioneer Woman in Radiochemistry. Physics in Perspective. vol. 6.
- (2003) Arsenic: Not So Evil After All?. Journal of Chemical Education. vol. 80 (5).
- (2017) 11th International Conference on the History of Chemistry, Trondheim 2017. Book of abstracts. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7923-079-3.
- (2015) Akademi og industri: Kjemiutdanning og -forskning ved NTNU gjennom 100 år. Fagbokforlaget. 2015. ISBN 9788245018288.
- (2012) For Better or For Worse? Collaborative Couples in the Sciences. Birkhäuser Verlag. 2012. ISBN 9783034802857.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Bjørn Pedersen, kjemiker (10. februar 2016). Store norske leksikon (snl.no 2016).
- (2015) Ignored, Disregarded, Discarded? On the Introduction of the Periodic System in Norwegian Periodicals and Textbooks, c. 1870-1930s. Early Responses to the Periodic System.
- (2015) Å beskrive og utforske naturen. Naturfagrelevante skriveoppgaver i Normprosjektet. Å invitere elever til skriving. Ulike perspektiver på skriveoppgaver..
- (2014) Teacher's Perception of the Use of Small-scale Chemistry Experimentation. Science education research and education for sustainable development.
- (2013) Biografi eller fagartikel, forsøgsrapport eller log - om indhold, form og brug i naturfagsskrivning på mellemtrinet. På sporet af god skriveundervisning - en bog for lærere i alle fag.
- (2012) Introduction. For Better or For Worse? Collaborative Couples in the Sciences.
- (2012) Ida and Walter Noddack Through Better or Worse: An Arbeitsgemeinschaft in Chemistry. For Better or For Worse? Collaborative Couples in the Sciences.