Arild Holm Clausen
Background and activities
Arild Holm Clausen was educated as MSc within at the civil engineering study programme in 1991. He received the degree of dr.ing in 1999. Clausen has been employed as an associate professor at Department of Structural Engineering since 2003. He became professor in 2007.
Arild Holm Clausen is a member of the SIMLab group (Structural IMpact Laboratory) at Department of Structural Engineering at NTNU. SIMLab was appointed as a Centre of Research-based Innovation (CRI) by the Norwegian Research Council in 2006. (In Norwegian: Senter for forskningsdrevet innovasjon; SFI.) SIMLab is host for SFI CASA (Centre for Advanced Structural Analysis) in 2015-2023. The group works with dynamic loads on different types of structures made of metals (steel, aluminium) or polymers. Special attention is paid to experimental techniques at structural or material level as well as numerical predictions, where modelling of the response of structures, components or materials subjected to various types of loading is a key issue. Clausen's at SIMLab is constitutive modelling of polymers and high strain-rate testing.
Clausen has taught courses in statics, mechanics of materials at various levels, steel structures, materials science for civil engineers, and finite element methods.
Last revision: August 2017
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Volumetric strain measurement of polymeric materials subjected to uniaxial tension. Strain. vol. 55 (4).
- (2019) Experimental investigation and numerical modelling of the mechanical response of a semi-structural polyurethane adhesive. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives. vol. 95.
- (2019) A thermo-elasto-viscoplastic constitutive model for polymers. Journal of the mechanics and physics of solids. vol. 124.
- (2019) Influence of stress triaxiality and strain rate on stress-strain behaviour and dilation of mineral-filled PVC. Polymer testing. vol. 75.
- (2017) How placement of nut determines failure mode of bolt-and-nut assemblies. Steel Construction. vol. 10 (3).
- (2017) Fillet welds subjected to impact loading – an experimental study. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 108.
- (2017) Comparison of damage models in numerical simulations of fillet welds under quasi-static and impact loading. Procedia Engineering. vol. 197.
- (2017) Numerical study of fillet welds subjected to quasi-static and impact loading. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. vol. 131-132.
- (2017) An experimental and numerical study on the volume change of particle-filled elastomers in various loading modes. Mechanics of materials (Print). vol. 106.
- (2017) Volume growth during uniaxial tension of particle-filled elastomers at various temperatures–Experiments and modelling. Journal of the mechanics and physics of solids. vol. 107.
- (2017) Influence of strain rate and temperature on the mechanical behaviour of rubber-modified polypropylene and cross-linked polyethylene. Mechanics of materials (Print). vol. 114.
- (2016) Failure modes of bolt and nut assemblies under tensile loading. Journal of constructional steel research. vol. 126.
- (2016) A numerical study of beam-to-column joints subjected to impact. Engineering structures. vol. 120.
- (2016) Continuum-micromechanical modeling of distributed crazing in rubber-toughened polymers. European Journal of Mechanics. A, Solids. vol. 57.
- (2016) Tension behaviour of HNBR and FKM elastomers for a wide range of temperatures. Polymer testing. vol. 49.
- (2016) Experimental set-up for determination of the large-strain tensile behaviour of polymers at low temperatures. Polymer testing. vol. 53.
- (2016) A physically-based constitutive model applied to AA6082 aluminium alloy at large strains, high strain rates and elevated temperatures. Materials & design. vol. 103.
- (2015) An experimental study of static and dynamic behaviour of bolted end-plate joints of steel. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 85.
- (2015) Behaviour and modelling of aluminium alloy AA6060 subjected to a wide range of strain rates and temperatures. The European Physical Journal Conferences. vol. 94.
- (2015) Behaviour of Al-Mg-Si alloys at a wide range of temperatures and strain rates. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 86.