Background and activities
My principal research interest is in the development of integrated geophysical survey strategies to investigate archaeological sites and landscapes in a non-destructive manner. I often incorporate aerial photography, satellite imagery and other spatial analysis datasets (e.g. artefact concentrations, chemical soil analysis) to complement geophysical information and maximise proxy data interpretation.
Besides archaeological investigations, my research interests have also developed in humanitarian applications. These include the use of high-resolution geophysics to detect unmarked human burials, mass-graves and illegal infrastructure.
During my three-year postdoctoral appointment, I will work on issues and methodological development related to the application of geophysical methods at a wide range of archaeological sites and under different geological conditions.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Soil geochemical methods in archaeo-geophysics: Exploring a combined approach at sites in Scotland. Archaeological Prospection.
- (2018) THE SOIL SCIENCE & ARCHAEO-GEOPHYSICS ALLIANCE (SAGA): going beyond prospection. Research Ideas and Outcomes_RIO. vol. 4.
- (2017) Lime Burning in Clamp Kilns in Scotland's Western Central Belt: Primitive Industry or Simple but Perfectly Adequate Technology?. Industrial Archaeology Review.
- (2017) A Regional Approach to Ancient Urban Studies in Greece Through Multi-Settlement Geophysical Survey. Journal of Field Archaeology.
- (2017) Geochemical survey of soil samples from the archaeological site Dromolaxia-Vyzakia (Cyprus), by means of micro-XRF and statistical approaches. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. vol. 11.
- (2015) A Satellite, Aerial and Low Altitude Approach for Ancient Greek Cities. ISAP News. vol. 42.
- (2015) Integrated geophysical and in-situ soil geochemical survey at Dromolaxia-Vizakia (Hala Sultan Tekke, Cyprus). Archaeologia Polona. vol. 53.
- (2015) Multi-component geophysical survey at the Classical Greek cities of Mantinea and Elis. Antiquity. vol. 89 (345).
- (2015) Towards an Integrated Remote Sensing Strategy for Revealing the Urban Details of the Hellenistic-Roman City of Demetrias, C. Greece. Archaeologia Polona. vol. 53.
- (2015) Cultural variations of the Neolithic landscape of Thessaly. Archaeologia Polona. vol. 53.
- (2015) Exposing the Urban Plan of the ancient city of Hyettos, Boeotia, Greece. Archaeologia Polona. vol. 53.
- (2015) How efficient is an integrative approach in archaeological geophysics? Comparative case studies from Neolithic settlements in Thessaly (Central Greece). Near Surface Geophysics. vol. 13.
- (2011) The SIMCA algorithm for processing ground-penetrating radar data and its use in locating foundations in demolished buildings. IEEE Radar Conference. Proceedings.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Opening a New Frontier in the Study of Neolithic Settlement Patterns of Eastern Thessaly, Greece. Communities, Landscapes and Interaction in Neolithic Greece. Proceedings of International Conference, Rethymno 29-30 May 2015.
- (2015) Inorganic Geochemical Methods in Archaeological Prospection. Best Practices of GeoInformatic Technologies for the Mapping of Archaeolandscapes.
- (2015) GPR: Theory and Practice in Archaeological Prospection. Best Practices of GeoInformatic Technologies for the Mapping of Archaeolandscapes.
- (2015) Revealing the urban features of the ancient Greek city of Mantineia through the employment of ground penetrating radar. 2015 8th International Workshop on Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar (IWAGPR).
- (2013) From the air to the atomic level of a ditch: integrating geophysical and geochemical survey methods at the prehistoric cropmark complex of Forteviot (Perthshire, Scotland). Archaeological Prospection. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference - Vienna.
- (2013) A 3D reconstruction algorithm for the location of foundations in demolished buildings. 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Gothenburg, 8-12 April, 2013.