Christian A. Klöckner
Background and activities
Prof. Dr. Christian A. Klöckner is a professor in social psychology and quantatitve methods at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. He leads the research group for “Citizen, Environment, and Safety” which is focusing on researching individual, social and contextual drivers of environmental decisions (including food, energy, mobility, housing). His personal research interest are modelling of environmentally relevant decisions and behaviour in the social and structural context, innovative environmental communication methods, societal disruption and transition, and psychologiocal trade-offs in sustainability issues. He is engaged in many national and international research projects, coordinating several of them, among them the H2020 projects ECHOES, SMARTEES, and ENCHANT. He is author of more than 100 academic papers
- PSY2103 - Environmental Psychology
- PSY8003 - Multivariate Quantitative Research Methods
- PSY3151 - Environmental Communication
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) A stage model as an analysis framework for studying voluntary change in food choices – The case of beef consumption reduction in Norway. Appetite. vol. 108.
- (2017) Human Factors Evaluation in Ship Design: A Case Study on Offshore Supply Vessel in the Norwegian Sea, Part II: Multivariate Analyses and Structural Modelling. Naval engineers journal (Print). vol. 129 (1).
- (2016) Sick Leave and Disability Across Three Decades after a Major Disaster. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. vol. 204 (7).
- (2016) Specific Barriers and Drivers in Different Stages of Decision-Making about Energy Efficiency Upgrades in Private Homes. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 7.
- (2016) The impact of neighborhood social capital on life satisfaction and self-rated health: A possible pathway for health promotion?. Health and Place. vol. 42.
- (2016) How we evaluate the view out through the window. Architectural Science Review. vol. 59 (3).
- (2016) The Effects of Social Ties and Local Environment on Appropriate Waste Station Maintenance of Household Waste: A Case Study in Sapporo. Journal of Environmental Information Science. vol. 44 (5).
- (2016) Human Factors Evaluation in Ship Design: A Case Study on Offshore Supply Vessels in the Norwegian Sea, Part I: Theoretical Background and Technical Constructs. Naval engineers journal (Print). vol. 128 (4).
- (2016) How do people with weak and strong pro-environmental worldviews process visual climate change information? An EEG study. Psyecology. vol. 7 (3).
- (2016) Predicting recycling behaviour: Comparison of a linear regression model and a fuzzy logic model. Waste Management. vol. 49.
- (2015) Can implicit cognition predict the behavior of professional energy investors? An explorative application of the Implicit Association Test (IAT). Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition. vol. 4 (3).
- (2015) Church attendance and religious experience: differential associations to well-being for Norwegian women and men?. Sage Open. vol. 5 (4).
- (2015) Do Optimism and Pessimism Mediate the Relationship between Religious Coping and Existential Well-Being? Examining Mechanisms in a Norwegian Population Sample. The international journal for the psychology of religion. vol. 25 (2).
- (2015) Comparison of socio-psychological characteristics of conventional and battery electric car buyers. Travel Behaviour & Society. vol. 3.
- (2015) Familial aggregation of anxiety and depression in the community: the role of adolescents’ self-esteem and physical activity level (the HUNT Study). BMC Public Health. vol. 15 (1).
- (2015) Saving electricity - For the money or the environment? Risks of limiting pro-environmental spillover when using monetary framing. Journal of Environmental Psychology. vol. 43.
- (2015) Fet, feit eller bare overvektig = Fat, obese or just overweight. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 135 (19).
- (2015) Luminance-Based Measures of Shape and Detail Distinctness of 3D Objects as Important Predictors of Light Modeling Concept. Results of a Full-Scale Study Pairing Proposed Measures with Subjective Responses. LEUKOS The Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. vol. 11 (4).
- (2015) Luminance-based measures of contour distinctness of 3D objects as a component of light modeling. LEUKOS The Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. vol. 11 (1).
- (2012) Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle? Script-Based Car Choice Habits Between the Influence of Socialization and Past Behavior. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. vol. 42 (4).
- (2012) Adolescent school absenteeism: modelling social and individual risk factors. Child and Adolescent Mental Health. vol. 17 (2).
- (2011) Disaster Survivors in Their Third Decade: Trajectories of Initial Stress Responses and Long-Term Course of Mental Health. Journal of Traumatic Stress. vol. 24 (3).
- (2011) General vs. domain specific recycling behaviour—Applying a multilevel comprehensive action determination model to recycling in Norwegian student homes. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. vol. 55 (4).
- (2011) A multi-level approach to travel mode choice - How person characteristics and situation specific aspects determine car use in a student sample. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. vol. 14 (4).
- (2011) Psychological Factors in the Diffusion of Sustainable Technology: A Study of Norwegian Households' Adoption of Wood Pellet Heating. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 15 (6).
- (2011) Adopters and Non-Adopters of Wood Pellet Heating in Norwegian Households. Biomass & Bioenergy. vol. 35 (1).
- (2011) Exploring Policy Options for a Transition to Sustainable Heating System Diffusion using an Agent-Based Simulation. Energy Policy. vol. 39 (5).
- (2010) Initial Stress Responses in Relation to Outcome After Three Decades. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. vol. 198 (3).
- (2010) Understanding the purchase of organic food – a theoretical framework from a psychological perspective. Food Science Central.
- (2010) Klimawandel aus der Sicht 9-14jähriger Kinder – Emotionen, Bewältigungsressourcen und allgemeines Wohlbefinden. Umweltpsychologie. vol. 14 (2).
- (2010) Wie motivieren klimawandelbezogene Emotionen Kinder zum Klimaschutz? Ein Arbeitsmodell. Umweltpsychologie. vol. 14 (2).
- (2010) Verantwortung für die Gesundheit von anderen? Eine Anwendung des Normaktivationsmodells auf nichtraucherschützendes Verhalten im universitären Kontext. Zeitschrift für Gesundheitspsychologie. vol. 18 (3).
- (2010) A multilevel approach to travel mode choice - how person characteristics and situation specific aspects determine car use in a student sample. The 12th Coference on Social and Community Psychology - Programme, Conference abstracts, List of participants.
- (2010) A comprehensive action determination model Toward a broader understanding of ecological behaviour using the example of travel mode choice. Journal of Environmental Psychology. vol. 30 (4).
- (2015) The Psychology of Pro-Environmental Communication: Going beyond standard information strategies. Palgrave Macmillan. 2015. ISBN 978-1-137-34831-9.
Part of book/report
- (2014) NEW MEASURES OF LIGHT MODELLING. PROCEEDINGS of CIE 2014 "Lighting Quality and Energy Efficiency".
- (2013) How Powerful are Moral Motivations in Environmental Protection?: An Integrated Model Framework. Handbook of Moral Motivation.
- (2013) Yesterday's habits preventing change for tomorrow? The influence of automaticity on environmental behviour. Environmental Psychology. An Introduction.
- (2012) Nye måter å fremme miljøvennlig atferd på - kan miljøvernbudskap tilpasses en rockefestival?. Norsk miljøpsykologi.
- (2011) Towards a psychology of climate change. The economic, social, and political elements of climate change.
- (2011) Should I Buy Organic Food? A Psychological Perspective on Purchase Decisions. ORGANIC FOOD AND AGRICULTURE – NEW TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES.
- (2010) Psychological Factors underlying Norwegian Households' Adoption of Wood Pellet Heating. Renewable Energy Research Conference . Centre for Renewable Energy; Trondheim. 2010-06-07 - 2010-06-08.
- (2010) The influence of the social network structure on the diffusion of heating system in Norway. In Ernst, A. and Kuhn, S. (Eds) 2010. Proceeding of 3th World Congress on Social Simulation WCSS 2010, Kassel, Germany: Center for Environmental Systems Research, University of Kassel. 3th World Congress on Social Simulation WCSS 2010 ; 2010-09-06 - 2010-09-09.
- (2009) The use of Post-Traumatic Symptom Scale (PTSS) across three decades. ECOTS 2009 . ESTSS - European Society for Traumatic Stress Studie; Oslo. 2009-06-15 - 2009-06-18.
- (2009) Towards a Psychology of Climate Change. Klima 2009 / Climate 2009 . Research and Transfer Centre "Applications of Life Sciences"; Hamburg. 2009-11-02 - 2009-11-06.