Background and activities
Founding Director of the Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience and Co-Director of Centre for Neural Computation. PhD in neurophysiology, University of Oslo 1995.
Edvard Moser is interested in how spatial location and spatial memory are computed in the brain. His work, conducted with May-Britt Moser as a long-term collaborator, includes the discovery of grid cells in the entorhinal cortex, which provides the first clues to a neural mechanism for the metric of spatial mapping. Subsequent to this discovery the Mosers have identified additional space-representing cell types in the entorhinal cortex and they are beginning to unravel how the neural microcircuit is organized and how grid patterns are generated.
Edvard Moser was the Founding Director of the Centre for the Biology of Memory, a Research Council-funded Centre of Excellence with a life time from 2003 to 2012. In 2007 the Centre became a Kavli Institute, with Edvard Moser as the Director.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Path integration in place cells of developing rats. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2018) Integration of grid maps in merged environments. Nature Neuroscience.
- (2018) Entorhinal fast-spiking speed cells project to the hippocampus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2017) Stellate cells drive maturation of the entorhinal-hippocampal circuit. Science. vol. 355 (6330).
- (2017) Memory Retrieval: Taking the Route via Subiculum. Current Biology.
- (2017) Parvalbumin and Somatostatin Interneurons Control Different Space-Coding Networks in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Cell. vol. 171 (3).
- (2017) Spatial Representation in the Hippocampal Formation: A History. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 20 (11).
- (2016) Hippocampus at 25. Hippocampus. vol. 26 (10).
- (2016) Ten Years of Grid Cells. Annual Review of Neuroscience. vol. 39.
- (2015) Coherence among Head Direction Cells before Eye Opening in Rat Pups. Current Biology. vol. 25 (1).
- (2015) A prefrontal-thalamo-hippocampal circuit for goal-directed spatial navigation. Nature. vol. 522 (7554).
- (2015) Speed cells in the medial entorhinal cortex. Nature. vol. 523 (7561).
- (2015) Topography of Place Maps along the CA3-to-CA2 Axis of the Hippocampus. Neuron. vol. 87 (5).
- (2015) Hippocampal Remapping after Partial Inactivation of the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Neuron. vol. 88 (3).
- (2015) Where Am I? Where Am i Going?. Scientific American. vol. 314 (1).
- (2015) Place cells, grid cells, and memory. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology. vol. 7 (2).
- (2015) Shearing-induced asymmetry in entorhinal grid cells. Nature. vol. 518 (7538).
- (2014) Place cells in the hippocampus: Eleven maps for eleven rooms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 111 (52).
- (2014) Representation of geometric borders in the developing rat. Neuron. vol. 82 (1).
- (2014) Topography of head direction cells in medial entorhinal cortex. Current Biology. vol. 24 (3).