Background and activities
The topic of Emil Christiansens PhD is nanoscale characterization of deformed aluminium alloys. It is part of the centre for research based innovation (SFI), partly funded by the Research Counsil of Norway, called Centre for Advanced Structural Analysis (CASA). NTNU, SINTEF and 16 other partners from industy and public sectors participate in the centre.
One of the objectives of Christiansens project is to study how precipitate free zones (PFZs) around grain boundaries in aluminium affect ductile fracture. Experimental data is to be aquired by transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and will provide input to numerical models used and developed in CASA as well as act as a physical verification. TEM is a powerful tool capable of resolving detail on the sub-nanometre level, and in this project TEMs from the TEM Gemini Centre in Trondheim will be used. The TEM Gemini Centre in Trondheim is participating in the NORTEM project, which is a large-scale infrastructure project with the goal of providing state-of-the-art TEM facilities to users in Norway and abroad.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Lattice rotations in precipitate free zones in an Al-Mg-Si alloy. Materials Characterization. vol. 144.
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2015) Structural investigation of epitaxial LaFeO_3 thin films on (111) oriented SrTiO_3 by transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 644:012002.
- (2018) Precipitate Free Zones and Crack Propagation in Al-Mg-Si Alloys. 16th International Conference on Aluminium Alloys (ICAA16) . MetSoc; McGill Univeristy, Montréal, Québec. 2018-06-17 - 2018-06-21.
- (2017) Precipitate Free Zones in Deformed Al-Mg-Si Alloys. SCANDEM2017 . University of Iceland and SCANDEM; Reykjavik. 2017-06-05 - 2017-06-09.
- (2017) Spin reconstruction as a function of thickness at the (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/LaFeO3 interface. Materials Research Society spring meeting . Materials Research Society; Phoenix, Arizona. 2017-04-17 - 2017-04-21.
- (2017) precipitates in age hardenable aluminium alloys studied by advanced TEM. International EM conference in Poland ; 2017-09-10 - 2017-09-13.
- (2017) Precipitates in age hardenable Al alloys studied by (S)TEM techniques. 3rd Forum of Center for Advanced Materials Research and International (CAMRIC3)/13th Light Metals International Workshop By Japan Institute of Light Metals . Univ. of Toyama,; Toyama. 2017-10-12 - 2017-10-13.
- (2017) Krystaller på atomnivå. Researchers' Night . NTNU; NTNU. 2017-09-22.
- (2016) Deformation induced subgrains in PFZs of AA6060 alloy subjected to uniaxial compression. Second INTPART Workshop between NTNU, University of Toyama and Tokyo Tech . Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Toyama Uni.; University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan. 2016-10-12 - 2016-10-12.
- (2016) Subgrain-formation in precipitate free zones in aluminium alloys subjected uniaxial compression. Nasjonal konferanse for Materialteknologi 2016 . Norsk Materialteknisk Selskap, Norsk Metallografisk forening; Trondheim. 2016-08-24 - 2016-08-25.
- (2016) Transmission Electron Microscopy of Precipitate Free Zones in Aluminium Alloys Subjected to Uniaxial Compression. SCANDEM2016 . Scandem, Nordic Microscopy Society; Trondheim. 2016-06-07 - 2016-06-10.
- (2015) Structural investigation of epitaxial LaFeO_3 thin films on (111) oriented SrTiO_3 by transmission electron microscopy. EMAG . Electron Microscopy and Analysis Group; Manchester. 2015-06-29 - 2015-07-02.
- (2015) Instrumentation and activity at the Trondheim NORTEM –node (NTNU). NORTEMopening seminar . NORTEM; Oslo. 2015-09-10 - 2015-09-11.
- (2015) Krystaller på atomnivå / Se innsiden av et elektronmikroskop. Researchers' Night . NTNU; 2015-09-25 - 2015-09-25.
- (2014) Magnetic properties and exchange mechanisms in epitaxial (111)-oriented magnetic heterostructures. Material Research Society - Spring meeting 2014 . Material Research Society; San Francisco. 2014-04-21 - 2014-04-25.
- (2013) Magnetic switching of epitaxial (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 /SrTiO3 thin films. 8th NTNU NanoLab symposium ; 2013-11-12 - 2013-11-12.
- (2013) Se et elektronmikroskop i aksjon. Researchers' night . NTNU; Trondheim. 2013-09-27.