Background and activities
Emil recieved his PhD in physics from NTNU september 2019. The topic of his thesis was nanoscale characterization of deformed aluminium alloys. He is currently continuing his work, doing transmission electron microscopy to understand plastic deformation of aluminium alloys down to the nanoscale as a postdoc. Both his PhD and his current position is funded by the centre for research based innovation (SFI) called Centre for Advanced Structural Analysis (CASA). His earlier masters degree is also from NTNU, where he studied epitaxially grown LaFeO3 thin films on (111) terminated SrTiO3 substrates. Emil started as a head engineer at the NORTEM national infrastructure laboratories at the Department of Physics in April 2020.
Emils research is centered around transmission electron microscopy (TEM) studies. His current research interests are investigation of sheared precipitates and understanding the deformation behaviour of precipitate free zones, both in the Al-Mg-Si alloy system.
- High-resolution TEM
- Aberration-corrected scanning TEM
- Scanning precession electron diffraction
- Multislice image simulations
- Machine learning
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Detailed investigation of the shearing mechanism of β" precipitates in Al-Mg-Si alloys. MATEC Web of Conferences. vol. 326.
- (2020) Multislice image simulations of sheared needle‐like precipitates in an Al‐Mg‐Si alloy. Journal of Microscopy. vol. 279 (3).
- (2020) The role of quench rate on the plastic flow and fracture of three aluminium alloys with different grain structure and texture. International Journal of Engineering Science. vol. 150.
- (2019) Nano-scale characterisation of sheared β” precipitates in a deformed Al-Mg-Si alloy. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Scanning Precession Electron Diffraction to aid Aluminum Alloy Development. Microscopy and Microanalysis. vol. 25.
- (2018) Lattice rotations in precipitate free zones in an Al-Mg-Si alloy. Materials Characterization. vol. 144.
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2015) Structural investigation of epitaxial LaFeO_3 thin films on (111) oriented SrTiO_3 by transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. vol. 644:012002.
- (2019) Nanoscale Characterisation of Deformed Aluminium Alloys. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-4100-0. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (252).
- (2015) TEM Characterization of LaFeO3 Thin Films on SrTiO3 (111) Substrates. 2015.
- (2020) Detailed investigation of the shearing mechanism of β” precipitates in Al-Mg-Si alloys. 17th International Conference on Aluminium Alloys ; Online. 2020-10-26 - 2020-10-29.
- (2019) (S)TEM characterisation and simulations of sheared ′′ precipitates in a deformed Al-Mg-Si alloy. 5th Forum of Center for Advanced Materials Research and International Collaboration (CAMRIC-FORUM5) . Toyama University; Toyama. 2019-10-03 - 2019-10-04.
- (2019) TEM image simulations of overlapping phases - a case study of sheared β” precipitates in Al-Mg-Si alloys. EMAG . Institute of Physics, Electron Microscopy and Analysis Group; Manchester. 2019-07-01 - 2019-07-04.
- (2019) Activities on aluminium alloy design in the TEM Gemini Centre. Workshop of the Aluminium Innovation Hub: Digitalisation for smart processes and product design . European Aluminium; Trondheim. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-13.
- (2018) Lattice rotations in precipitate free zones in an Al-Mg-Si alloy. Topics in ductile fracture of metals . FractAl; Hotel Scandic Nidelven, Trondheim. 2018-10-17 - 2018-10-18.
- (2018) Understanding deformation on the nano-scale. CASA Seminar . SFI CASA, NTNU; Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo. 2018-09-18 - 2018-09-20.
- (2018) Precipitate Free Zones and Crack Propagation in Al-Mg-Si Alloys. 16th International Conference on Aluminium Alloys (ICAA16) . MetSoc; McGill Univeristy, Montréal, Québec. 2018-06-17 - 2018-06-21.
- (2018) Phase and orientation mapping in Al alloys using SPED. CAMRIC-FORUM4 (4th Forum of Centre of Advanced Materials Research and International Collaboration . Univesrity of Toyama; Toyama. 2018-10-31 - 2018-11-01.
- (2018) Phase and orientation mapping in Al alloys using SPED. Workshop on STEM with Advanced detectors . Monash University, Centre for Electron MIcroscopy; Grange Cleveland Winery, Victoria. 2018-09-04 - 2018-09-07.
- (2018) Using TEM to study precipitates in age hardenable aluminium alloys. 6th Dresden Nanoanalysis Symposium: Materials challenges for automotive industry - Micro- and nanoscale characterization . Dresdner Fraunhofer Cluster Nanoanalysis; Dresden. 2018-08-31 - 2018-08-31.
- (2017) Precipitate Free Zones in Deformed Al-Mg-Si Alloys. SCANDEM2017 . University of Iceland and SCANDEM; Reykjavik. 2017-06-05 - 2017-06-09.
- (2017) Spin reconstruction as a function of thickness at the (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/LaFeO3 interface. Materials Research Society spring meeting . Materials Research Society; Phoenix, Arizona. 2017-04-17 - 2017-04-21.
- (2017) precipitates in age hardenable aluminium alloys studied by advanced TEM. International EM conference in Poland ; 2017-09-10 - 2017-09-13.
- (2017) Precipitates in age hardenable Al alloys studied by (S)TEM techniques. 3rd Forum of Center for Advanced Materials Research and International (CAMRIC3)/13th Light Metals International Workshop By Japan Institute of Light Metals . Univ. of Toyama,; Toyama. 2017-10-12 - 2017-10-13.
- (2016) Deformation induced subgrains in PFZs of AA6060 alloy subjected to uniaxial compression. Second INTPART Workshop between NTNU, University of Toyama and Tokyo Tech . Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Toyama Uni.; University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan. 2016-10-12 - 2016-10-12.
- (2016) Subgrain-formation in precipitate free zones in aluminium alloys subjected uniaxial compression. Nasjonal konferanse for Materialteknologi 2016 . Norsk Materialteknisk Selskap, Norsk Metallografisk forening; Trondheim. 2016-08-24 - 2016-08-25.
- (2016) Transmission Electron Microscopy of Precipitate Free Zones in Aluminium Alloys Subjected to Uniaxial Compression. SCANDEM2016 . Scandem, Nordic Microscopy Society; Trondheim. 2016-06-07 - 2016-06-10.
- (2015) Structural investigation of epitaxial LaFeO_3 thin films on (111) oriented SrTiO_3 by transmission electron microscopy. EMAG . Electron Microscopy and Analysis Group; Manchester. 2015-06-29 - 2015-07-02.
- (2015) Instrumentation and activity at the Trondheim NORTEM –node (NTNU). NORTEMopening seminar . NORTEM; Oslo. 2015-09-10 - 2015-09-11.
- (2015) Krystaller på atomnivå / Se innsiden av et elektronmikroskop. Researchers' Night . NTNU; 2015-09-25 - 2015-09-25.
- (2014) Magnetic properties and exchange mechanisms in epitaxial (111)-oriented magnetic heterostructures. Material Research Society - Spring meeting 2014 . Material Research Society; San Francisco. 2014-04-21 - 2014-04-25.
- (2013) Magnetic switching of epitaxial (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 /SrTiO3 thin films. 8th NTNU NanoLab symposium ; 2013-11-12 - 2013-11-12.
- (2013) Se et elektronmikroskop i aksjon. Researchers' night . NTNU; Trondheim. 2013-09-27.