Background and activities
Background and Teaching
I am an Associate Professor of British Social and Cultural Studies in the Department of Language and Literature. I hold both a BA and MA in History from the University of Hull and a PhD in History from the University of Cambridge. I contribute to the Cultural History component of the English degree programmes at NTNU and I have taught various undergraduate courses on different aspects of modern British history since 2011. I now teach the MA course, ENG3450 History, Society, and Culture, on Britain in the 1980s, from an interdisciplinary perspective. I am interested in supervising MA theses on most aspects of modern British history. I am also a convener of the Modern History Seminar, which is open to researchers from all departments in the Faculty of Humanities.
Conservative Party politics and political thought (late 19th century to the present)
Genres of Political Writing in Britain since 1900
Britain's Relationship with Scandinavia and Europe
Thatcherism and British Society in the 1980s
Principal Investigator and project leader of a comparative and transnational history project that explores the history of British and Scandinavian Conservative Parties from the 1930s to the 1980s. The project is funded by The Research Council of Norway (FRIPRO 'Young Research Talents' scheme) and the research group's webpage can be found here: https://www.ntnu.edu/conservatism
Co-investigator with Professor Richard Toye (University of Exeter) on the project 'Genres of Political Writing in Britain since 1900', which is funded by an Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK) Networking Grant for 2020-21.
Work in Progress
A chapter on the political writing and journalism of the Conservative MPs Quintin Hogg, Angus Maude, and Enoch Powell.
A monograph on the history of the Conservative Overseas Bureau and International Office, 1948-c.1980s.
A long term project is a monograph on the history of Conservative writing and publishing from the 1920s to the 1960s.
'Making a "New Conservatism": The Tory Reform Committee and Design for Freedom, 1942-49' has been accepted for publication in English Historical Review in 2020.
'"Real Toryism" or Christian Democracy? The Political Thought of Douglas Jerrold and Charles Petrie at the New English Review, 1945-50' has been accepted for publication in Historical Research in 2020.
Terje Grytbak Wold, 'The Influence of Foreign Ideas on the Norwegian Conservative Party, 1930-1963'.
Elisabeth Stennes Skaar, 'The Great Balancing Act: Britain, South Africa and the Namibia Question, 1974-1990' (Primary Supervisor: Michael J. Geary).
Fellowships and Awards
Member of NTNU's 'Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme', 2017-2021: https://www.ntnu.edu/outstanding-academic-fellows-programme
Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge and Visiting By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, 2017-2018.
Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowship in the Humanities at the University of Texas, Austin, USA, 2017-2018. The fellowship is supported by the Ben Bradlee Fellowship in Journalism.
Nominated for 'The Year's Best Teacher Award' by the students at the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU, 2016.
Churchill Archives By-Fellowship at the University of Cambridge, 2014.
Winner of the George L. Mosse Prize for the best article published in the Journal of Contemporary History by a previously unpublished author, 2007.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) A ‘Mixture of Britannia and Boadicea’: Dorothy Crisp’s Conservatism and the Limits of Right-Wing Women’s Political Activism, 1927–48. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 30 (2).
- (2016) Review of 'Mosley and British Politics 1918–32: Oswald’s Odyssey by David Howell'. English Historical Review. vol. 132 (554).
- (2014) Review of 'Portrait of a Party: The Conservative Party in Britain 1918–1945 by Stuart Ball.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain. The Historical Journal. vol. 57 (04).
- (2011) Review of 'Oswald Mosley and the New Party by Matthew Worley.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 22 (2).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. vol. 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 42 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.
- (2019) 'Boris Johnsons omstridte grep: Vil stenge parlamentet i fem uker. Den britiske regjeringen har bedt dronningen suspendere Parlamentet frem til 14. oktober. Speaker John Bercow mener det kontroversielle grepet er skandaløst', Aftenposten. Aftenposten (Oslo) [Avis]. 2019-08-28.
- (2019) 'Brexit-forvirret? Dette kan skje nå', VG. Oslo, VG [Avis]. 2019-10-19.
- (2019) 'Churchills barnebarn utstøtt. Ekspert kaller Johnsons utrenskninger et lite partikupp', Aftenposten. Oslo, Aftenposten [Avis]. 2019-09-04.
- (2019) 'Hvem skal inn? Dette er deres største svakheter og styrker'. Aftenposten (Oslo) [Avis]. 2019-06-22.
- (2019) 'Ingen vet hva som skjer i britisk politikk. – Situasjonen er uten sidestykke, mener forsker. Her er likevel fagfolkenes vurderinger av fem mulige utfall.' Aftenposten. Oslo, Aftenposten [Avis]. 2019-09-04.
- (2019) 'Rent flertall for Johnson – dette er vinnerne, taperne og veien videre', Aftenposten. Oslo, Aftenposten [Avis]. 2019-12-13.
- (2019) 'Til tross for et knusende nederlag klamrer May seg til makten. Hvorfor?', Aftenposten. Aftenposten, Oslo [Avis]. 2019-01-16.
- (2018) ‘Ambisiøs og standhaftig: Slik er statsministeren som tåler den ene ydmykelsen etter den andre’, Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2018-12-14.
- (2017) May kan bli vraket selv om hun vinner valget: Storbritannias statsminister Theresa May risikerer å bli erstattet som partileder på sikt, dersom hun ikke gjør et brakvalg, tror ekspert, Nettavisen. Online [Avis]. 2017-06-07.
- (2017) Valget blir uansett ydmykende for Theresa May, NRK Nyheter (Urix). Oslo, NRK Nyheter (Urix) [Internett]. 2017-06-07.
- (2016) Interviewed about Brexit for NRK Radio P1 Norgesglasset. Trondheim [Radio]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article '14 medlemmer har trukket seg fra Corbyns skyggeregjering: - Jeg har aldri sett sånt kaos. Det går mot nasjonal krise', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2016-06-26.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article 'Brexit kan endre Storbritannia' in Adressa. Trondheim [Avis]. 2016-06-24.
- (2015) Recorded interview about modern Britain for the NRK P2 programme Kulturhuset. Oslo [Radio]. 2015-05-06.