Background and activities
Teaching and Supervision
I’m particularly interested in enhancing learning by introducing active learning methods. These include case- and problem-based learning and flipped classroom for smaller classes and variations of these in large auditorium teaching. I’m also interested in developing technologies that support student learning outside the classroom.
I’m currently responsible for the following courses/modules:
- TKP 4100 Strømning og varmetransport
- TKP4852 Eksperter i team - Bærekraftig prosessindustri
- Module TKP7 Gas purification which is a part of the course TKP 4535: Environmental Engineering and Reactor Technology, Specialization course
Additionally, I’m supervising
- student groups in course TKP4170 - Process Design, Project
- Master students taking specialization projects ( TKP4580 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project, TKP4581 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project)
- Students doing their master theses ( TKP4900 - Chemical Process Technology, Master's Thesis)
Previous teaching responsibilities: TKP4852 EIT- Environmentally friendly mineral processing - is it possible? (2015) and TKP4852 EIT - CO2 capture (2012-2014)
My main research interest are related to acid gas removal using absorption technology. The modeling and experimental activities currently focus on developing and characterizing solvents for H2S and CO2 removal. In recent years, solvent stability and solvent degradation studies have become an important research activity. Additionally, my team is working on fitting thermodynamic models, absorption kinetics modeling, and process simulations.
EU-project REALISE focuses on demonstrating a refinery-adapted cluster-integrated strategy to enable CCUS implementation. Norwegian CCS research centre support activities on solvent degradation and modeling of reclaiming. LAUNCH-project focuses on amine degradation. MORE-project focuses on the degradation of glycols.
Projects Low Energy Penalty Solvents (LEPS) and Evolutionary de novo design of absorbents with optimal CO2 capturing properties (DeNOVO) developed new solvents for CO2 capture. Additionally, faculty-funded research on hybrid solvents (water lean solvents) for biogas upgrading systems increased our knowledge on the interactions between different organic solvents and amine. In 3rd Generation solvent membrane contactor – project aimed to improve the absorption process by reducing solvent losses by a membrane contactor with low mass transfer resistance for CO2 and high resistance for the solvent components.
In ALIGN-CCUS and AEROSOLV –projects, we were involved in activities focusing on aerosol growth modeling in the absorber. SUBPRO and Gas Technology Centre NTNU-SINTEF (GTS) funded investigations of combined H2S is removed and hydrate control in subsea.
Finally, our laboratory infrastructure related to absorption studies are part of ECCSEL ERIC, providing access for researchers outside NTNU to the infrastructure. We also participate in project ECCSEL related project ECCSELERATE.
Short presentation of the laboratory equipment available for solvent characterization and development can be found here. All the equipment is also part of ECCSEL-infrastructure and bit more detailed overview of the equipment can be found in the ECCSEL web-pages.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A review of degradation and emissions in post-combustion CO2 capture pilot plants. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 106.
- (2021) Addition of stable salts reduced oxidative degradation of monoethanolamine (MEA). Chemical Engineering Science: X. vol. 10.
- (2021) Stability of Structurally Varied Aqueous Amines for CO<inf>2</inf> Capture. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 60 (15).
- (2021) Analysis and selection of optimal solvent-based technologies for biogas upgrading. Fuel. vol. 303.
- (2021) Physical properties and reaction kinetics of CO2 absorption into unloaded and CO2 loaded viscous monoethanolamine (MEA) solution. Journal of Molecular Liquids. vol. 329.
- (2021) Evaluating the possibility of high-pressure desorption of CO2 via volatile co-solvent injection. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 169.
- (2021) Aerosol growth in CO2 absorption with MEA, modelling and comparison with experimental results. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 109.
- (2020) Measurement and prediction of oxygen solubility in post-combustion CO2 capture solvents. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 104.
- (2020) Solubility of Carbon Dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, Methane, and Nitrogen in Monoethylene Glycol; Experiments and Molecular Simulation. Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data. vol. 66.
- (2020) Degradative behavior and toxicity of alkylated imidazoles. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2020) Effect of Uncertainties in Solvent Properties on the Techno-economic Performances of a CO2 Absorber. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 81.
- (2020) Absorption of CO2 in lyotropic liquid crystals. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals (MCLC). vol. 703 (1).
- (2020) Effect of Various Parameters on the Thermal Stability and Corrosion of CO2-Loaded Tertiary Amine Blends. Energies. vol. 13 (10).
- (2020) Hydrogen Sulfide Solubility in 50 wt.% and 70 wt.% Aqueous Methyldiethanolamine at Temperatures from 283 to 393 K and Total Pressures from 500 to 10000 kPa. Fluid Phase Equilibria. vol. 511.
- (2020) Carbon dioxide solubility in mixtures of methyldiethanolamine with monoethylene glycol, monoethylene glycol–water, water and triethylene glycol. Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics. vol. 151.
- (2020) Solubility and Heat of Absorption of CO2 into Diisopropylamine and N,N-Diethylethanolamine Mixed with Organic Solvents. Energy & Fuels. vol. 34.
- (2020) Mapping Diluents for Water-Lean Solvents: A Parametric Study. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59.
- (2020) From hybrid solvents to water-lean solvents – A critical and historical review. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 260.
- (2020) Investigating opportunities for water-lean solvents in CO2 capture: VLE and heat of absorption in water-lean solvents containing MEA. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 231.
- (2019) Effect of liquid viscosity on the performance of a non-porous membrane contactor for CO2 capture. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 222.