Background and activities
Research areas: Citizenship and sustainable development, slum upgrading, participatory urban planning, forced migration, humanitarianism, policy mobility, action research.
Current teaching: Discourses of Development and Globalisation, Migration and Development. Programme Leader for the international interdisciplinary MSc Globalisation and Sustainable Development at NTNU.
Have previously worked on:
- Urban displacement (Refugee Law Project Uganda)
- Slum upgrading, gender, youth, and community participation (Cities Alliance)
- Emergency response rosters (Norwegian Refugee Council)
Current research projects:
AIDACCOUNT: Holding Aid Accountable - Plural Humanitarianism in protracted crisis (2020-2024) Funding from the NORGLOBAL Programme of the Research Council of Norway. Project lead PRIO. Project partners: NTNU, Oxford Brookes University, Makerere University, Centre for Migration Research and Development and Rako Research and Communication Centre.
Co-producing smart sustainable cities - the role of knowledge production in fast policymaking (project lead together with Hilde N. Rørtveit).
Norwegian Dissemination and Communication Network on International Refugee Protection and the UN Global Compact on Refugees (participant, led by Hakan Gurcan Sicakkan UiB).
DATSAM: Innovasjonsprosjekt i offentlig sektor: Datadrevet samskaping - metoder og verktøy for bærekraftig innovasjon og samfunnsutvikling (participant, led by Bærum Kommune).
Selected Practice and Policy related writing
Refstie, H. 2019. NTNU Sustainability - Roar or Chatter? Universitetsavisa.
Refstie, H. 2015. Is this Participatory Budgeting? The Blantyre Process, NTNU, CCODE, and TRI
Refstie H., Hunga, W. 2015. Some lessons to be learned – Informal Settlement Upgrading Project in Chinsapo and Mtandire, NTNU, CCODE, and TRI
Refstie, H (2014): Negotiating services through community committees – Ndirande Makata, Blantyre, CCODE and TRI
Refstie, H and Da Silva F. (2012): Youth: The face of Urbanization, Inclusive Cities, CIVICS Cities Alliance, Washington DC
Crisp, J. and Refstie, H. The urbanisation of displaced people, CIVICS Cities Alliance, Washington DC
Cities Alliance (2009): 2009 Annual report Building Cities and Citizens – Highlighting Gender Issues in Slum Upgrading, Cities Alliance.
Refstie H., Dolan, C., Okello M. (2009): Urban IDPs in Uganda, Victims of Institutional Convenience? Forced Migration Review 34
Refugee Law project (2007): What About Us? – The Exclusion of Urban IDPs from Uganda’s IDP related Policies and Intervention, Refugee Law Project, Kampala
- GEOG3012 - Internship - Globalisation and Sustainable Development
- GEOG2022 - Globalisation and Sustainable Development in the South
- GEOG3053 - Discourses of Development and Globalisation
- GEOG3522 - Migration and Development
- GEOG3910 - Master's Thesis - Globalisation and Sustainable Development
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Collective editorial on the neoliberal university. Fennia.
- (2019) The Beginning is never the beginning: Co-producing action research space. Action research.
- (2019) Does Participatory Planning Promise Too Much? Global Discourses and the Glass Ceiling of Participation in Urban Malawi. Planning Theory & Practice. vol. 20 (2).
- (2018) Action research in critical scholarship: Negotiating multiple imperatives. ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies. vol. 17 (1).
- (2016) Voicing noise: Political agency and the trialectics of participation in urban Malawi. Geoforum. vol. 74.
- (2015) Fighting fog - The case of creeping neoliberalism and weakening university democracy in Norway. Krisis: Tijdschrift voor actuele filosofie.
- (2014) Medvirkning, makt og avmakt i planlegging - Norge og Malawi :. Kart og Plan. vol. 74, årg. 107 (4).
- (2012) Displacement in urban areas: new challenges, new partnerships. Disasters. The Journal of Disaster Studies, Policy and Management. vol. 36.
- (2012) Towards Transformative Participation: Collaborative Research with 'Urban IDPs' in Uganda. Journal of Refugee Studies. vol. 25 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2019) Den kritiske student, Norge anno 2019. Universitetskamp.
- (2019) New University Norway og ProtestPub. Universitetskamp.
- (2019) Ulikhet og uformalitet i bysamfunn - erfaringer fra det globale sør. Bysamfunn.
- (2018) Urban Ecological Planning: Principles, value positions and application in practice. Proceedings of 54th ISOCARP Congress Bodø, Norway, October 1-5, 2018. Cool planning: changing climate & our urban future.
- (2019) The role of research in a globalised world of fast urban policymaking. NGM conference 2019 . NTNU Geography; Trondheim. 2019-06-17 - 2019-06-17.
- (2019) Session: Planning for sustainable urban futures: transgressing the North-South boundaries in theory and practice. Nordic Geographers Meeting 2019 . NTNU Geography; Trondheim. 2019-06-17 - 2019-06-17.