Background and activities
Areas of speciality
Research activities are mainly oriented to raw material- and product quality and how processing affects properties of fish and seafood products. The activity are mainly focused on processing of Atlantic salmon and codfish, and especially salt curing, drying and smoking, together with heat processing and packaging. The use of CO2 in innovative combinations to increase quality and shelf life of lightly processed seafood products are important in several active research projects.
Characterization of chemical-, physiochemical-, physical-, sensorial-, and microbial quality are important tools for validation of processing parameters. In the food science group, we have good skills in all competences, where my specialities are within chemical analyses (micro- and macro components), biochemical analyses (enzyme activity and respirometry), imaging, spectroscopy (NIR and Raman) and food texture. We are particular good in carotenoid analyses and have in addition several methods for analyses of food pigments, amino acids, ATP-metabolites, biogenic amines, vitamins, antioxidants, and protein denaturation, rancidity, and antioxidant capacity. Infrastructure to be mentioned are UHPLC-DAD, HPLC-DAD-RID-ELSD, GC-FID, DSC, Oroboro, Raman spectrometer, Digyeye, Videometer, Texture analyzer etc.
Jørgen Lerfall is leading the “Food Science” division at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science, and coordinate the priority area «Optimal utilization of the ocean's natural resources, Optimat» (2015-2023) at the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
- MATV3006 - Bachelor Thesis
- BT3110 - Aquatic Food Processing and Technology
- TMAT201P - Internship
- MATV1012 - Food, Processing Technology and Sustainability
- TMMT5004 - Master Thesis in Food Science, Technology and sustainability
- MATV3002 - Food technology - meat and fish
- TMMT5003 - Master Thesis in Food Science,Technology and sustainability
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Modelling water and salt diffusion of cold-smoked Atlantic salmon initially immersed in refrigerated seawater versus on ice. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 312.
- (2022) Growth and Spoilage Potential of an Aeromonas salmonicida Strain in Refrigerated Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) Stored under Various Modified Atmospheres. Foods. vol. 11.
- (2022) Application of soluble gas stabilization technology on ready-to-eat pre-rigor filleted Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Food Science. vol. 87 (6).
- (2022) Seasonal variation in chemical composition and contaminants in European plaice (Pleuronectes Platessa) originated from the west-coast of Norway. Food Chemistry. vol. 401 (134155).
- (2022) The significance of Shewanella sp. strain HSO12, Photobacterium phosphoreum strain HS254 and packaging gas composition in quality deterioration of fresh saithe fillets. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 154.
- (2022) Listeria Monocytogenes i verdikjede laks - fra fôr til slakteri. Norsk Sjømat. vol. 3.
- (2022) Effect of edible coating and modified atmosphere packaging on the microbiological and physicochemical stability of retail maki sushi. Journal of Food Science. vol. 87.
- (2022) Norwegian Consumers’ Skepticism towards Smoke-Flavoring of Salmon—Is It for Real?. Foods. vol. 11 (14).
- (2021) Mild processing of seafood—A review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety.
- (2021) Skin and vacuum packaging of portioned Atlantic salmon originating from refrigerated seawater or traditional ice storage. Food Packaging and Shelf Life. vol. 30.
- (2021) Water holding properties of Atlantic salmon. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety.
- (2021) Evaluation of physical and instrumentally determined sensory attributes of Atlantic salmon portions packaged in modified atmosphere and vacuum skin. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 146.
- (2021) The use of soluble gas stabilization technology on food – A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology. vol. 118.
- (2021) Sustainable edible packaging systems based on active compounds from food processing byproducts: A review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety.
- (2021) A comparative study on quality, shelf life and sensory attributes of Atlantic salmon slaughtered on board slaughter vessels against traditional land-based facilities. Aquaculture. vol. 540.
- (2021) Diversity and Antimicrobial Activity towards Listeria spp. and Escherichia coli among Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Ready-to-Eat Seafood. Foods. vol. 10 (2).
- (2021) Bruk av alternativ røykemetode. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2021) Sensory methodology in product optimization of coldsmoked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) processed with atomized purified condensed smoke. Journal of Food Science. vol. 86 (10).
- (2020) Effect of salt on CO2 solubility in salmon (Salmo salar L) stored in modified atmosphere. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 278.
- (2020) Physiological and flesh quality consequences of pre-mortem crowding stress in Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus). PLOS ONE. vol. 15 (2).
- (2020) A comparative study of Atlantic salmon chilled in refrigerated seawater versus on ice: from whole fish to cold-smoked fillets. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) Effect of chilling technologies on water holding properties and other quality parameters throughout the whole value chain: From whole fish to cold-smoked fillets of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture. vol. 526.
- (2020) Effect of superchilling on Atlantic salmon quality through the value chain. Global Aquaculture Advocate.
- (2020) Fareanalyse - Fra fôr til bord. Norsk Sjømat. vol. 3.
- (2020) Aeromonas spp. isolated from ready-to-eat seafood on the Norwegian market: prevalence, putative virulence factors and antimicrobial resistance. Journal of Applied Microbiology.
- (2020) Effects of salting technology and smoking protocol on yield and quality of hot‐smoked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of food processing and preservation. vol. 45.
- (2020) Mer miljøvennlig laks. Matindustrien.
- (2020) The use of atomized purified condensed smoke (PCS) in cold-smoke processing of Atlantic salmon - Effects on quality and microbiological stability of a lightly salted product. Food Control. vol. 112.
- (2019) Effect of heat treatment and packaging technology on the microbial load of lightly processed seafood. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 101.
- (2019) Physiochemical and Microbiological Quality of Lightly Processed Salmon (Salmo salar L.) Stored Under Modiﬁed Atmosphere. Journal of Food Science. vol. 84 (12).
- (2019) Involvering av bachelor- og masterstudenter i eksternfinansiert sjømatforskning ved NTNU - Case: Prosjektet "Innovative teknologiske løsninger for økt holdbarhet i lett-prosessert sjømat". Norsk Sjømat.
- (2018) The influence of lipid composition, storage temperature, and modified atmospheric gas combinations on the solubility of CO2 in a seafood model product. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 216.
- (2018) Comparative evaluation on the quality and shelf life of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) filets using microwave and conventional pasteurization in combination with novel packaging methods. Journal of Food Science. vol. 83 (12).
- (2018) Quality of fresh saithe (Pollachius virens) in modified atmosphere packages as affected by the gas composition. Food Packaging and Shelf Life. vol. 18.
- (2018) Effect of Season, Location, Filleting Regime and Storage on Water-Holding Properties of Farmed Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar L.). Food technology and biotechnology. vol. 56 (2).
- (2017) A comparative study of diploid versus triploid Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). The effects of rearing temperatures (5, 10 and 15 °C) on raw material characteristics and storage quality. Food Chemistry. vol. 225.
- (2017) Quality characteristics and consumer acceptance of diploid and triploid cold smoked Atlantic salmon reared at 5, 10 and 15 C. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 85 (Part A).
- (2016) A comparative study of organic- versus conventional farmed Atlantic salmon. I. Pigment and lipid content and composition, and carotenoid stability in ice-stored fillets. Aquaculture. vol. 451.
- (2016) A comparative study of organic- versus conventional Atlantic salmon. II. Fillet color, carotenoid- and fatty acid composition as affected by dry salting, cold smoking and storage. Aquaculture. vol. 451.
- (2016) Muscle temperature at the point of filleting—Subsequent effect on storage quality of prerigor filleted raw- and cold-smoked Atlantic salmon. Food science and technology international. vol. 22 (2).
- (2015) Pre-mortem stress and the subsequent effect on flesh quality of pre-rigor filleted Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) during ice storage. Food Chemistry. vol. 175.
- (2015) Pigments for Aquaculture of Salmonids. A Comparative Model Study of Carophyll Pink and Panaferd AX in Cod Liver Oil. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society. vol. 92 (9).
- (2014) Effect of high pressure processing on astaxanthin stability. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. vol. 49 (1).
- (2013) The use of sodium nitrite in cold-smoke processing of farmed Atlantic salmon – effect on storage stability. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. vol. 48 (9).
- (2012) Fillet quality and gene transcriptome profiling of heart tissue of Atlantic salmon with pancreas disease (PD). Aquaculture. vol. 330.
- (2012) Atlantisk laks med PD historikk - et godt råstoff til foredlingsindustrien?. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2012) Effect of pancreas disease (PD) on quality attributes of raw and smoked fillets of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Aquaculture. vol. 324-325.
- (2011) Salting method affects the retention of carotenoids in the fillet surface of cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). International Journal of Food Science & Technology. vol. 46 (10).
- (2011) Use of sodium nitrite in salt-curing of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L) - Impact of product quality. Food Chemistry. vol. 124 (3).
- (2010) Fargeegenskaper i kaldrøkt laksefilet produsert pre-rigor. Norsk Sjømat.
- (2005) Lycopene from tomato products added minced meat: Effect on storage quality and colour. Food Research International. vol. 38.
Part of book/report
- (2017) New Product Development - Eirin M. Skjøndal Bar, Sunniva Hoel and Jørgen Lerfall. Trends in Fish Processing Technologies.
- (2015) Carotenoids: Occurrence, Properties and Determination. Encyclopedia of food and health.
- (2015) Sodium Nitrite, Salt-Curing and Effects on Carotenoid and N-Nitrosoamines in Marine Foods. Processing and impact on active components in food.
- (2021) Kartlegging av Listeria monocytogenes i fôr og sjøfase ved produksjon av atlantisk laks (Salmo salar). 2021.
- (2021) Konserveringsmetoder for sjømat – Muligheter for forlenget holdbarhet til laks. 2021. ISBN 978-82-8296-678-8. Nofima rapportserie (14/2021).
- (2020) Fareanalyse for å finne mulige kontamineringspunkter og smitteveier for L. monocytogenes ved produksjon av atlantisk laks (Salmo salar L.). 2020.
- (2011) Effekt av pankreas sykdom og ulike saltebetingelser på kvaliteten til rå og kaldrøkt Atlantisk laks (Salmo salar L.) / The effect of pancreas disease and salting conditions on the quality of raw and cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). 2011. ISBN 978-82-575-0971-2. Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) Thesis (07).
- (2010) Effekt av rigor status og saltemetode på fargeegenskaper og retensjon av astaxanthin under produksjon og lagring av kaldrøykte laksefileter. 2010. ISBN 978-82-7251-753-2. Nofima rapportserie (8/2010).
- (2002) Syntetisk kombinasjon av B-apo-8'-karotensyre, Vitamin C, EPA, Trolox og selenafettsyre. 2002.