Background and activities
Julia Glaum is Associate Professor in the FACET group in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. She is heading the research area “Active Biomedical Ceramics”. Her current research focuses on the development of functional materials suitable for in vivo sensors, actuators and cell stimulating scaffolds. Current projects in her group are concerned with metal-ceramic interfaces, ceramic-liquid interfaces, piezoelectric coatings and the impact of clinical proceedures on material properties.
TMT4145 Ceramics Engineering
TMT4853 Eksperter i team - Biomaterialer og helse
MT8309 Ferroics - Materials synthesis, characterization and applications
Fellowships, Awards and Grants
2020-2024 Nano2021 Research project, RCN
2017-2022 Outstanding Academics Fellow Program, NTNU,
2016-2019 FRIPRO - Young Research Talent, RCN
2015-2017 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship, EC
2012-2015 Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA), ARC,
2012-2013 Early Career Researcher Grant - UNSW Australia,
2012 Jovanka-Bontschits Prize - TU Darmstadt, Germany
Julia Glaum received her diploma in Physics from the Justus Liebig Universität Gießen, Germany in 2006. She conducted her PhD at the Department of Materials and Earth Science of the Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany working on aging and fatigue phenomena in lead-based ferroelectric ceramics. Her work was part of the Collaborative Research Center 595 funded by the German Research Foundation.
For her first Postdoc she moved to UNSW Australia holding a Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) for a research project on electric fatigue of ferroelectric and relaxor-based ceramics.
In 2015, she was awarded a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship by the European Commission, directing her research towards functional biomedical materials. With this fellowship she moved to the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway in 2015. In 2018, she was promoted to Associate Professor.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) The Structure, Morphology, and Complex Permittivity of Epoxy Nanodielectrics with in Situ Synthesized Surface-Functionalized SiO2. Polymers. vol. 13 (9).
- (2021) In situ X-ray diffraction studies of the crystallization of K0. 5Na0. 5NbO3 powders and thin films from an aqueous synthesis route. Open Ceramics. vol. 7.
- (2021) Anisotropic in-plane dielectric and ferroelectric properties of tensile-strained BaTiO3 films with three different crystallographic orientations editors-pick. AIP Advances. vol. 11 (2).
- (2021) Anisotropic in-plane dielectric and ferroelectric properties of tensile-strained BaTiO3 films with three different crystallographic orientations. AIP Advances. vol. 11.
- (2020) In situ synthesis of epoxy nanocomposites with hierarchical surface-modiﬁed SiO2 clusters. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. vol. 95.
- (2020) Mechanisms for texture in BaTiO3 thin films from aqueous chemical solution deposition. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. vol. 95.
- (2020) Experimental setup for high-temperature in situ studies of crystallization of thin films with atmosphere control. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation. vol. 27.
- (2020) Ferroelectric and dielectric properties of Ca2+-doped and Ca2+-Ti4+ co-doped K0.5Na0.5NbO3 thin films. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. vol. 8 (15).
- (2020) In Vitro Biocompatibility of Piezoelectric K<inf>0.5</inf>Na<inf>0.5</inf>NbO<inf>3</inf>Thin Films on Platinized Silicon Substrates. ACS Applied Bio Materials (AABM). vol. 3.
- (2020) On the formation mechanism of Ba0.85Ca0.15Zr0.1Ti0.15O3 thin films by aqueous chemical solution deposition. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 40 (15).
- (2020) Electrical Fatigue Behavior of Ba0. 85Ca0. 15Zr0. 1Ti0. 9O3 Ceramics Under Different Oxygen Concentrations. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 41 (4).
- (2020) Barium titanate-based bilayer functional coatings on Ti alloy biomedical implants. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 41 (4).
- (2020) Activation of ferroelectric implant ceramics by corona discharge poling. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 40 (15).
- (2019) Controlling Phase Purity and Texture of K0.5Na0.5NbO3 Thin Films by Aqueous Chemical Solution Deposition. Materials. vol. 12 (13).
- (2019) Revealing the role of local stress on the depolarization of BNT-BT-based relaxors. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 3.
- (2019) Determining fundamental properties from diffraction: Electric field induced strain and piezoelectric coefficient. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 99 (17).
- (2019) Biocompatibility of (Ba,Ca)(Zr,Ti)O3 piezoelectric ceramics for bone replacement materials. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials.
- (2018) In situ synthesis of hybrid inorganic-polymer nanocomposites. Polymers. vol. 10 (10).
- (2018) Epoxy-Based Nanocomposites for High-Voltage Insulation: A Review. Advanced Electronic Materials. vol. 5 (2).
- (2018) Effect of mechanical depoling on piezoelectric properties of Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3 - xBaTiO3 in the morphotropic phase boundary region. Journal of Materials Science. vol. 53 (3).