Background and activities
Research Interests in Cinema and Television Studies
- cli-fi (climate fiction), environmental humanities, and Anthropocene screen cultures
- financialization of domestic space
- intersectional feminist theory and criticism
- aesthetics and affects of cuteness
- Hollywood cinema and popular culture
- Todd Haynes
- Reframing Todd Haynes: Feminism's Indelible Mark (co-editor with Theresa L. Geller, Duke UP, forthcoming 2021)
- The Aesthetics and Affects of Cuteness (co-editor with Joshua Paul Dale, Joyce Goggin, Anthony P. McIntyre, and Diane Negra, Routledge, 2017)
- Post-Cinema: Theorizing 21st-Century Film (co-editor with Shane Denson, REFRAME, 2016)
- American Mobilities: Geographies of Class, Race, and Gender in US Culture (Transcript-Columbia UP, 2016)
- Extreme Weather and Global Media (co-editor with Diane Negra, Routledge, 2015)
- Interviews: Todd Haynes (editor, UP of Mississippi, 2014)
In the Media
- Interviewed on US abortion laws in Aftenposten (NO) and on NRK Radio's Her og nå (NO)
- Interviewed on US television reboots in Morning Consult (US)
- Cited on Occupied in El País (ES)
- Interviewed on The Handmaid's Tale in Die Welt (DE)
- Cited on US television revivals in The Conversation (US), picked up in SFGate (US), Scroll (IN), Houston Chronicle (US)
- Interviewed with co-editor on cuteness for New York Magazine (US)
- Interviewed on kawaii for Gemini (NO)
- Interviewed on cli-fi for RBB Online (DE)
- Interviewed on cli-fi for Avinus (DE)
- Interviewed on online cat videos in Berliner Morgenpost (DE)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Hook and Eye. Communication, Culture & Critique. vol. 11.
- (2018) “Petropolitics, Cli-Fi, and Occupied.”. Journal of Scandinavian Cinema. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) “Cli-Fi in American Studies: A Research Bibliography.”. American studies journal. vol. 62.
- (2017) “‘What’s in a Name?’: Cli-Fi and American Studies.”. Amerikastudien.
- (2017) “Financial Times: The Economic and Industrial Temporalities in Arrested Development.”. Television & New Media. vol. 19 (4).
- (2017) The Aesthetics and Affects of Cuteness. Routledge. 2017. ISBN 978-1138998766.
- (2017) The Aesthetics and Affects of Cuteness. The Aesthetics and Affects of Cuteness.
- (2017) Cute 21st-Century Post-Fembots. The Aesthetics and Affects of Cuteness.
- (2017) “Breaking Bad: A Recessionary Western.”. Violence and Open Spaces: The Subversion of Boundaries and the Transformation of the Western Genre..
- (2017) Negative Mobilities. Spaces of Expression and Repression in Post-Millennial North-American Literature and Visual Culture.
- (2016) Female-Centered Television in an Age of Precarity. Genders. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) American Mobilities: Geographies of Class, Race, and Gender in US Culture. Transcript Verlag. 2016. ISBN 978-3-8376-3455-6.
- (2016) Post-Cinema: Theorizing 21st-Century Film. 2016. ISBN 9780993199639.
- (2016) Demon Debt: Paranormal Activity as Recessionary Post-Cinematic Allegory. Post-Cinema: Theorizing 21st-Century Film.
- (2016) The Financialization of Domestic Space in Arrested Development and Breaking Bad. Class Divisions in Serial Television.
- (2016) Perspectives on Post-Cinema: An Introduction. Post-Cinema: Theorizing 21st-Century Film.
- (2015) Extreme Weather and Global Media. Routledge. 2015. ISBN 9781138798793.
- (2014) Interviews: Todd Haynes. University Press of Mississippi. 2014. ISBN 1496807901.