Katrien De Moor
Background and activities
Activities and interests
My current research activities and interests are situated in the domain of user-centered QoE and include:
- Theoretical foundations of QoE
- Methodological challenges and QoE evaluation: controlled lab research vs. subjective evaluation in more ecologically-friendly research environments, crowd-sourcing based QoE evaluation
- Extension of traditional subjective QoE-measures with alternative explicit, subjective measures as well as implicit, behavioural and physiological measures
- QoE and affective states (leader of task force on emotions and QoE in COST Action IC1003 Qualinet)
- Mixed-methods research on Quality of Experience in different application domains (video QoE, adaptive video streaming, cloud-based applications, gaming)
- Quality of Experience from a macro-temporal perspective and longitudinal research
- Marie Curie fellow (ERCIM post-doctoral fellowship), Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering/ Department of Telecommunications, NTNU, Norway (2013-2014)
- Researcher and Ph.D student at iMinds-MICT, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences/ Department of Communication Studies, Ghent University, Belgium (2008-2012)
- Junior researcher at iMinds-MICT, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences/ Department of Communication Studies, Ghent University, Belgium (2005-2008)
Katrien De Moor studied Social Sciences (with specialization in Communication Studies) at Ghent University. She obtained her PhD from the same university (2012). Her main research activities are situated in the domain of Quality of Experience.
She is passionate about user research and has worked on a range of topics, including early user involvement and bottom-up innovation research, living lab methodologies, innovation foresight and future-oriented technology assessment. She spent one year as Marie Curie postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Telematics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology and is currently continuing her research activities on QoE in different application domains at the same university. She is also still a member of the Research Group on Media & ICT, part of iMinds and Ghent University, Belgium.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) An Experimental Platform for QoE Studies of WebRTC-based Multi-Party Video Communication. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA).
- (2018) Towards new privacy regulations in europe: Users' privacy perception in recommender systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 11342 LNCS.
- (2015) Influence of high ambient illuminance and display luminance on readability and subjective preference. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 9394.
- (2015) Patient responsibility reallocation: a user-centered approach to support nurses’ handling of nurse calls. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. vol. 19 (3-4).
- (2014) Towards innovation foresight: two empirical case studies on future TV experiences for/by users. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. vol. 59.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Who Will Be the Leaders in Top Academic Positions in Entertainment Computing?. Entertainment Computing – ICEC 2018.
- (2017) An Experimental Platform for QoE Studies of WebRTC-based Multi-Party Video Communication. Proceedings from The Fourth International Conference on Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Education Technologies (CSCEET2017).
- (2017) Exploring diverse measures for evaluating QoE in the context of WebRTC. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2017).
- (2017) Users on the Move: On Relationships Between QoE Ratings, Data Volumes and Intentions to Churn. 42nd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks Workshops, LCN Workshops 2017.
- (2016) Revealing the Dark Side of WebRTC Statistics Collected by Google Chrome. Proceedings from Eighth International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience, QoMEX 2016.
- (2016) Video QoE Killer and Performance Statistics in WebRTC-based Video Communication. Proceedings from 2016 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Communications and Electronics (ICCE).
- (2016) QoE - Defining a User-Centric Concept for Service Quality. Multimedia Quality of Experience (QoE): Current Status and Future Requirements.
- (2015) Impact of Perceived Quality and other Influencing Factors on Emotional Video Experience. 2015 Seventh International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX) Proceedings.
- (2015) Quality of Experience: From Assessment to Application. Dagstuhl Reports.
- (2014) Chamber QoE: a multi-instrumental approach to explore affective aspects in relation to Quality of Experience. Proc. SPIE 9014, Human Vision and Electronic Imaging XIX, 901401 (March 18, 2014).
- (2014) Factors Influencing Quality of Experience. Quality of Experience: Advanced Concepts, Applications and Methods.
- (2014) Mobile cloud storage: a contextual experience. Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Human-computer interaction with mobile devices & services.
- (2014) Quality of Experience versus User Experience. Quality of Experience: Advanced Concepts, Applications and Methods.
- (2013) Need for Speed? On Quality of Experience for Cloud-based File Storage Services. Proceedings of The Fourth Workshop on Perceptual Quality of Systems (PQS 2013). FTW-TECHREPORT-128.
- (2013) Evaluating QoE by means of traditional and alternative subjective measures: an exploratory 'living room lab' study on IPTV. Proceedings of The Fourth Workshop on Perceptual Quality of Systems (PQS 2013). FTW-TECHREPORT-128.