Background and activities
Expertise and research interests
- Power cycles and turbomachinery
- CO2 capture
- Process modeling and simulation
- PhD Thermal Energy (NTNU, 2010)
- Master of Science Mechanical Engineering (Virginia Tech, 2001)
- Associate Professor Process and Power (2019–)
- Head of research group Thermal Energy (NTNU, 2017–2018)
- Associate Professor Thermal Energy (NTNU, 2014–2018)
- Postdoctor Thermal Energy (NTNU, 2012–2014)
- Researcher Energy Systems (GE Global Research, 2011)
- PhD Candidate Thermal Energy (NTNU, 2006–2010)
- Engineer Gas Turbines (Alstom Power, 1999–2006)
- Energy and Environment (2009–)
- Engineering Thermodynamics 1 (2015–)
- Engineering Thermodynamics 2 (2014)
- Gas Cleaning and Emissions Control (2016–2017)
- Natural Gas Technology (2017–)
PhD Candidate Roberto Agromayor
PhD Candidate Giorgia Mondino
PhD Candidate Jairo Rúa Pazos
Postdoctoral fellow Ángel Álvarez Pardiñas
Postdoctoral fellow Marcin Pilarczyk
PhD Candidate Cristina Zotica, Department of Chemical Engineering
PhD Candidate Brede Hagen
Finished PhD candidates
Rubén Mocholí Montañés
PhD thesis: http://hdl.handle.net/11250/2506461
Current research projects
Low Emission Research Centre – LowEmission
Innovative hybrid energy system for stable power and heat supply in offshore oil and gas installation – HES-OFF
FME Centre for Energy Efficient and Competitive Industry with Low Environmental Impact – HighEFF
Expander Test Laboratory within the National Laboratories for an Energy Efficient Industry – HighEFFLab
Competitive power production from industrial surplus heat – COPRO
Enabling technology for the Development of moving bed Temperature swing adsorption process for post combustion CO2 capture – EDemoTeC
Electrification and efficient energy supply of offshore oil platforms
Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation
Dynamic modeling and simulation of post-combustion CO2 capture system integrated with natural gas combined cycle power plant – DynCap
Compact offshore steam bottoming cycles – COMPACTS
Master student topics
NTNU Open: https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/handle/11250/223328
Use search term Lars Olof Nord
Filter for Type: Master thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) One-Dimensional Annular Diffuser Model for Preliminary Turbomachinery Design. International Journal of Turbomachinery, Propulsion and Power. vol. 4 (3).
- (2019) Preliminary Design and Optimization of Axial Turbines Accounting for Diffuser Performance. International Journal of Turbomachinery, Propulsion and Power. vol. 4 (3).
- (2019) Optimization of Organic Rankine Cycles for Waste Heat Recovery From Aluminum Production Plants. Frontiers in Energy Research. vol. 7.
- (2019) Moving bed temperature swing adsorption for CO2 capture from a natural gas combined cycle power plant. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 85.
- (2019) An Integrated Assessment of the Environmental and Economic Impact of Offshore Oil Platform Electrification. Energies. vol. 12 (11).
- (2019) Optimal Operation and Control of Heat-to-Power Cycles: a New Perspective using a Systematic Plantwide Control Approach. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 46.
- (2018) Flexible operation of combined cycle gas turbine power plants with supplementary firing. Journal of Power Technologies. vol. 98 (2).
- (2018) Experimental results of transient testing at the amine plant at Technology Centre Mongstad: Open-loop responses and performance of decentralized control structures for load changes. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 73.
- (2018) Gas turbine exhaust gas heat recovery by organic Rankine cycles (ORC) for offshore combined heat and power applications - Energy and exergy analysis. Energy. vol. 165 (Part B).
- (2018) Compact steam bottoming cycles: model validation with plant data and evaluation of control strategies for fast load changes. Applied Thermal Engineering. vol. 142.
- (2018) Offshore Power Plants Integrating a Wind Farm: Design Optimisation and Techno-Economic Assessment Based on Surrogate Modelling. Processes. vol. 6 (12).
- (2017) Fluid selection and thermodynamic optimization of organic Rankine cycles for waste heat recovery applications. Energy Procedia. vol. 129.
- (2017) Applicability and validation of use of equilibrium-based absorber models with reduced stage efficiency for dynamic simulation of post-combustion CO2 capture processes. Energy Procedia. vol. 114.
- (2017) Prospects of using equilibrium-based column models in dynamic process simulation of post-combustion CO2 capture for coal-fired power plant. Fuel. vol. 202.
- (2017) Selection and design of post-combustion CO2 capture process for 600 MW natural gas fueled thermal power plant based on operability. Energy. vol. 121.
- (2017) Thermodynamic optimization of an organic Rankine cycle for power generation from a low temperature geothermal heat source. Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings.
- (2017) Combined heat and power plant on offshore oil and gas installations. Journal of Power Technologies. vol. 97 (2).
- (2017) Effects of CO2-Absorption Control Strategies on the Dynamic Performance of a Supercritical Pulverized-Coal-Fired Power Plant. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 56 (15).
- (2017) Dynamic Process Model Development and Validation with Transient Plant Data Collected from an MEA Test Campaign at the CO2 Technology Center Mongstad. Energy Procedia. vol. 114.
- (2017) Dynamic Process Model Validation and Control of the Amine Plant at CO2 Technology Centre Mongstad. Energies. vol. 10.
- (2017) Demonstrating load-change transient performance of a commercial-scale natural gas combined cycle power plant with post-combustion CO2 capture. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 63.
- (2017) Dynamic Simulations of the Post-combustion CO2 Capture System of a Combined Cycle Power Plant. Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings. vol. 132.
- (2017) CCS on Offshore Oil and Gas Installation - Design of Post Combustion Capture System and Steam Cycle. Energy Procedia. vol. 114.
- (2017) Dynamic modeling and simulation of an offshore combined heat and power (CHP) plant. Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings.
- (2017) Effective Concepts for Supplying Energy to a Large Offshore Oil and Gas Area under Different Future Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Concepts for lifetime efficient supply of power and heat to offshore installations in the North Sea. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 148.
- (2017) Lifetime Assessment of Combined Cycles for Cogeneration of Power and Heat in Offshore Oil and Gas Installations. Energies. vol. 10 (6).
- (2016) Acid Gas Removal in Geothermal Power Plant in Iceland. Energy Procedia. vol. 86.
- (2016) Identifying operational requirements for flexible CCS power plant in future energy systems. Energy Procedia. vol. 86.
- (2015) Process simulation and plant layout of a combined cycle gas turbine for offshore oil and gas installations. Journal of Power Technologies. vol. 95 (1).
- (2014) Evaluating CO2 Capture Technologies for Retrofit in Cement Plant. Energy Procedia. vol. 63.
- (2014) Weight and power optimization of steam bottoming cycle for offshore oil and gas installations. Energy. vol. 76.
- (2013) Design and off-design simulations of combined cycles for offshore oil and gas installations. Applied Thermal Engineering. vol. 54 (1).
- (2013) Modelling and simulation of CO2 (carbon dioxide) bottoming cycles for offshore oil and gas installations at design and off-design conditions. Energy. vol. 59.
- (2012) Design criteria and optimization of heat recovery steam cycles for integrated reforming combined cycles with CO2 capture. Applied Energy. vol. 92.
- (2012) Steam bottoming cycles offshore - Challenges and possibilities. Journal of Power Technologies. vol. 92 (3).
- (2011) HRSG Design for Integrated Reforming Combined Cycle With CO2 Capture. Journal of Engineering For Gas Turbines and Power. vol. 133 (1).
- (2011) Plant flexibility of a pre-combustion CO2 capture cycle. Energy Procedia. vol. 4.
- (2010) Incorporation of uncertainty analysis in modeling of integrated reforming combined cycle. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 51 (10).
- (2009) Design and off-design analyses of a pre-combustion CO2 capture process in a natural gas combined cycle power plant. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 3 (4).
- (2009) A qualitative reliability and operability analysis of an integrated reforming combined cycle plant with CO2 capture. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 3 (4).
- (2018) Proceedings of The 59th Conference on Simulation and Modelling (SIMS 59). Linköping University Electronic Press. 2018. ISBN 978-91-7685-494-5. Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings (1).
Part of book/report
- (2019) Design of an Experimental ORC Expander Setup Using Natural Working Fluids. Proceedings of the 5th International Seminar on ORC Power Systems.
- (2019) Efficiency Correlations for Off-design Performance Prediction of ORC Axial-flow Turbines. Proceedings of the 5th International Seminar on ORC Power Systems.
- (2018) Optimal Design of Flexible Power Cycles through Kriging-based Surrogate Models. ASME Turbo Expo 2018: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition. Volume 3: Coal, Biomass, and Alternative Fuels; Cycle Innovations; Electric Power; Industrial and Cogeneration; Organic Rankine Cycle Power Systems.
- (2018) Exergy Analysis for Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Plants. Proceedings of The 59th Conference on Simulation and Modelling (SIMS 59).
- (2010) HRSG DESIGN FOR INTEGRATED REFORMING COMBINED CYCLE WITH CO2 CAPTURE. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2010 : Power for land, sea and air (GT2010), June 14-18, 2010, Glasgow, UK.
- (2018) Transient performance of combined cycle power plant with absorption based post-combustion CO2 capture: dynamic simulations and pilot plant testing. 2018. ISBN 978-82-326-3127-8.
- (2015) Industrial implementation of Carbon Capture in Nordic industry sectors. 2015.
- (2010) Pre-combustion CO2 capture: Analysis of integrated reforming combined cycle. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2010. ISBN 978-82-471-2125-2.
- (2019) AnnularDiffuser1D: one-dimensional annular diffuser model implemented in MATLAB. NTNU. 2019.
- (2019) AxialOpt: A Meanline Model for the Design and Optimization of Axial Turbines. NTNU. 2019.
- (2019) Taking a flexible operation power plant to the next level with carbon capture & storage technology.
- (2018) Repeating Stages for Axial Turbines in Low Temperature Rankine Cycles. ASME Turbo Expo 2018 ; 2018-06-11 - 2018-06-15.
- (2017) Experiments at the world’s largest test center for CO2 capture.