Background and activities
Research areas: Building Performance Simulation (BPS), heating, cooling and ventilation systems (HVAC), heat pump systems, zero energy and zero emission buildings (ZEB), energy flexible buildings and control, physical-based and data-driven modelling of buildings, computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
Research activities and projects:
Integration of heating, cooling and ventilation systems in buildings
HVAC for renovation of single-family houses (OPPTRE project).
Design and integration of heat pump systems (ChiNoZEN project, IEA HPT Annex 49).
Simplified space-heating distribution in super-insulated buildings (ZEB centre).
- Development of building concepts such as Zero Emission Buildings (ZEB centre).
- Building integration of wood stoves (SusWoodStoves project).
Energy flexibility of buildings and control
Energy flexible operation of heat pump systems.
Data-driven modelling and Model Predictive Control of buildings (Norwegian research centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities, ZEN).
High-resolution CFD for airflows inside buildings.
Memberships of committees:
Member of Norsk VVS Stiftelsen – NORVAC Foundation.
President of the Nordic Chapter of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA-Nordic).
Member of the SN/K 34 national standardization committee about the energy performance of buildings.
- TEP4910 - Energy and Indoor Environment, Master's Thesis
- TEP4530 - Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Project
- EP8301 - Advanced Building Performance Simulation
- TEP4535 - Thermal Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Course
- TBM4322 - Building Performance Simulation
- TEP4120 - Engineering Thermodynamics 1
- TEP4245 - HVAC Engineering
- TBA4166 - Building Performance Simulation
- TEP4260 - Heat Pumps for Heating and Cooling of Buildings
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Influence of data pre-processing and sensor dynamics on grey-box models for space-heating: Analysis using field measurements. Building and Environment. vol. 212.
- (2021) Development of a data-driven model to characterize the heat storage of the building thermal mass in energy planning tools. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 246.
- (2021) Indoor air quality in natural-ventilated bedrooms in renovated Norwegian houses. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 246.
- (2021) Experimental test of a black-box economic model predictive control for residential space heating. Applied Energy. vol. 298.
- (2021) Analysing energy upgrading projects of single-family houses towards a Norwegian nZEB level. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 2069.
- (2021) Systematic and data-driven literature review of the energy and indoor environmental performance of swimming facilities. Energy Efficiency. vol. 14 (7).
- (2021) The implementation of multiple linear regression for swimming pool facilities: Case study at Jøa, Norway. Energies. vol. 14 (16).
- (2021) Data pre-processing and optimization techniques for stochastic and deterministic low-order grey-box models of residential buildings. Energy and Buildings. vol. 236.
- (2020) Parametric Energy Simulations of a Nordic Detached House Heated by a Wood Stove. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 172.
- (2020) Data-driven Modelling and Optimal Control of Domestic Electric Water Heaters for Demand Response. Environmental Science and Engineering.
- (2019) Evaluation of a New System Combining Wood-Burning Stove, Flue Gas Heat Exchanger and Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery in Highly-Insulated Houses. Applied Thermal Engineering. vol. 157.
- (2019) Model complexity of heat pump systems to investigate the building energy flexibility and guidelines for model implementation. Applied Energy. vol. 255.
- (2019) Predictive rule-based control to activate the energy flexibility of Norwegian residential buildings: Case of an air-source heat pump and direct electric heating. Applied Energy. vol. 237.
- (2019) Evaluation Method for the Hourly Average CO2eq. Intensity of the Electricity Mix and Its Application to the Demand Response of Residential Heating. Energies. vol. 12 (7).
- (2019) Wood burning habits and its effect on the electrical energy demand of a retrofitted Norwegian detached house. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352:01022.
- (2019) Energy efficiency of strategies to enable temperature zoning during winter in highly-insulated residential buildings equipped with balanced mechanical ventilation. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Review of HVAC strategies for energy renovation of detached houses towards nZEB in cold climates. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Influence of thermal zoning and electric radiator control on the energy flexibility potential of Norwegian detached houses. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 111.
- (2019) CFD and Building Integration Modelling of Wood Stoves - Status and Further Needs. European biomass conference and exhibition proceedings. vol. 2019 (27).
- (2019) A Simplified Power Sizing Method for the Correct Building Integration of Wood Stoves. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 111.