Background and activities
Teaching activities: Engineering Thermodynamics 1, Building Performance Simulation.
Research areas: Building Performance Simulation (BPS), heating, cooling and ventilation systems (HVAC), heat pump systems, zero energy and zero emission buildings (ZEB), energy flexible buildings and control, physical-based and data-driven modelling of buildings, computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
Research activities and projects:
Integration of heating, cooling and ventilation systems in buildings
HVAC for renovation of single-family houses (OPPTRE project).
Design and integration of heat pump systems (ChiNoZEN project, IEA HPT Annex 49).
Simplified space-heating distribution in super-insulated buildings (ZEB centre).
- Development of building concepts such as Zero Emission Buildings (ZEB centre).
- Building integration of wood stoves (WoodCFD project).
Energy flexibility of buildings and control
Energy flexible operation of heat pump systems.
Data-driven modelling and Model Predictive Control of buildings (Norwegian research centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities, ZEN).
High-resolution CFD for airflows inside buildings.
Memberships of committees:
Member of Norsk VVS Stiftelsen – NORVAC Foundation.
Board member of the Nordic Chapter of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA-Nordic).
Member of the SN/K 34 national standardization committee about the energy performance of buildings.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Parametric Energy Simulations of a Nordic Detached House Heated by a Wood Stove. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 172.
- (2020) Data-driven Modelling and Optimal Control of Domestic Electric Water Heaters for Demand Response. Environmental Science and Engineering.
- (2019) Evaluation of a New System Combining Wood-Burning Stove, Flue Gas Heat Exchanger and Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery in Highly-Insulated Houses. Applied Thermal Engineering. vol. 157.
- (2019) Model complexity of heat pump systems to investigate the building energy flexibility and guidelines for model implementation. Applied Energy. vol. 255.
- (2019) Predictive rule-based control to activate the energy flexibility of Norwegian residential buildings: Case of an air-source heat pump and direct electric heating. Applied Energy. vol. 237.
- (2019) Evaluation Method for the Hourly Average CO2eq. Intensity of the Electricity Mix and Its Application to the Demand Response of Residential Heating. Energies. vol. 12 (7).
- (2019) Wood burning habits and its effect on the electrical energy demand of a retrofitted Norwegian detached house. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352:01022.
- (2019) Energy efficiency of strategies to enable temperature zoning during winter in highly-insulated residential buildings equipped with balanced mechanical ventilation. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Review of HVAC strategies for energy renovation of detached houses towards nZEB in cold climates. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Influence of thermal zoning and electric radiator control on the energy flexibility potential of Norwegian detached houses. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 111.
- (2019) CFD and Building Integration Modelling of Wood Stoves - Status and Further Needs. European biomass conference and exhibition proceedings. vol. 2019 (27).
- (2019) A Simplified Power Sizing Method for the Correct Building Integration of Wood Stoves. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 111.
- (2018) Validation of a transient zonal model to predict the detailed indoor thermal environment: case of electric radiators and wood stoves. Building and Environment. vol. 149.
- (2018) Is a net life cycle balance for energy and materials achievable for a zero emission single-family building in Norway?. Energy and Buildings. vol. 168.
- (2018) Transient heat production and release profiles for wood stoves. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 65.
- (2017) Coupled Ventilation and Flue Gas Heat Exchanger System for Use in Low Energy Dwellings: An Investigation Using Dynamic Energy Simulations. European biomass conference and exhibition proceedings.
- (2017) Simplified space-heating distribution using radiators in super-insulated terraced houses. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) Wood stove material configurations for increased thermal comfort. Energy Procedia. vol. 142.
- (2017) Measured load profiles and heat use for “low energy buildings” with heat supply from district heating. Energy Procedia. vol. 116.