Course - Thermal Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Course - TEP4535
TEP4535 - Thermal Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Course
Examination arrangement: School exam
Grade: Letter grades
The course contains topics relevant for highly efficient thermal energy supply systems, climatization of buildings, and areas that aim to be energy efficient and climate-friendly such as the following:
- Thermal energy planning
- Large and small scale district heating and cooling
- Thermal energy conversion and storage
- Measuring technique (thermal systems, ventilation and indoor environment)
- Control (controllability)
- Building automation (ICT and IoT for buildings)
- Only students who write project assignment TEP4530 - Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Project, have access to the specialization course. Other students should ask to get access based on their Specialization project and appointment with the supervisor.
The course will provide specialization in the area of thermal energy supply and the climatization of buildings.
KNOWLEDGE: The course will give the student knowledge of the following: energy planning for buildings and areas that aim to be energy efficient and climate-friendly; selection, sizing, measurement and analysis of efficient systems for climatization of buildings, large and small scale district heating and cooling, and thermal energy storage; instrumentation and fault analysis related to energy use and indoor climate in energy efficient and climate friendly buildings; selection, sizing, measurement and analysis of ventilation solutions for industrial, sports and healthcare buildings etc.; control characteristics and solutions for highly efficient facilities for energy supply and climatization of buildings; ICT and IoT solutions for automation of highly efficient facilities for energy supply and climatization of buildings.
SKILLS: The course will enable the student to: design, operate and analyze highly efficient facilities for energy supply and climatization of buildings, large and small scale district heating and cooling, and thermal energy storage; develop and implement new technology for highly efficient facilities for energy supply and climatization of buildings, large and small scale district heating and cooling, and thermal energy storage.
GENERAL COMPETENCE After completion of the course the student should have the following competences:
- Be able to apply the knowledge and skills to analyze and select solutions as well as to design facilities for thermal energy supply and climatization of buildings and areas that aim to be energy efficient and climate-friendly.
- The student should be able to apply this competence in issues and projects where these topics are included as components or parts of a technological solution.
Learning methods and activities
The course is given as a combination of lectures, seminars, laboratory, and field work as well as guided self-study, or problem--based learning in groups. Tuition is given in English if students who do not master Norwegian take the course. If the tuition is given in English, the exam papers are only given in English. Students are free to answer in Norwegian or English.
One project requires use of MATLAB. The other three problem-based learning projects are laboratory based and it is advantage to use Excel/MATLAB/Python to analyze the laboratory measurements.
- 4 compulsory assignments
Further on evaluation
Written exam. Requirement to get admission to the written exam are approved mandatory exercises. The approval of the mandatory exercises can only be transferred from the previous academic year if the program was not significantly changed. In case of re-take of the examination, all assessments of the course must be repeated. In case of a re-sit examination (continuation exam), the examination form may be changed from written to oral.
Recommended previous knowledge
TEP4260 Heat Pumps for Heating and Cooling of Buildings, TBA4166 Building Performance Simulation, TEP4315 Indoor Environment and TEP4235 Energy Management in buildings
Required previous knowledge
TEP4245 HVAC Engineering or documented equivalent knowledge. It is assumed that those who follow the specialization course TEP4535 also take specialization project TEP4530 - Energy and Indoor Environment, Specialization Project.
Given at the beginning of the semester.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2023
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- Energy and Indoor Environment
- Energy and Process Engineering
- Technological subjects
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD School exam 100/100 H 2023-11-29 09:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL210 Sluppenvegen 14 25 SL120 blå sone Sluppenvegen 14 1
- Summer UTS School exam 100/100 H INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"