Background and activities
Teaching activities: Thermodynamics 1, Building energy supply, Infrastructure for energy transport, Energy planning.
Research areas: Building energy supply, district heating, lifetime commissioning, zero emission building, building energy monitoring, simulation of buildings and HVAC systems, and energy analysis.
- Subtask leader for Interfaces, Communities, and Economics within District Heating and cooling (DHC) Annex TS1: Low Temperature District Heating for Future Energy Systems.
- Research activities related to energy supply and building service systems within the Norwegian project on Zero Emission Buildings.
- Contribution to activities related to building performance simulation. At the Department of Energy and Process Engineering responsible for the simulation tools EnergyPlus, IDA-ICE, and TRNSYS.
Memberships of scientific committees, review
- Member of Norsk VVS Stiftelsen – NORVAC Foundation.
- Member of advisory board of NORVAC local group for Trondheim area.
- Member of Norwegian District Heating fellowship.
- Member of advisory board of the Study program Energy and environment at NTNU.
- Member of REHVA Journal editorial board.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Energy, economic, and environmental analysis of integration of thermal energy storage into district heating systems using waste heat from data centres. Energy.
- (2021) Swimming pool heating technology: A state-of-the-art review. Building Simulation. vol. 14.
- (2021) Energy Pathways for Future Norwegian Residential Building Areas. Energies.
- (2021) Data informed physical models for district heating grids with distributed heat sources to understand thermal and hydraulic aspects. Energy. vol. 222.
- (2021) Achieving zero-energy building performance with thermal and visual comfort enhancement through optimization of fenestration, envelope, shading device, and energy supply system. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments.
- (2021) Top-down spatially-explicit probabilistic estimation of building energy performance at a scale. Energy and Buildings.
- (2020) Large-scale monitoring of operationally diverse district heating substations: A reference-group based approach. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. vol. 90.
- (2020) Selecting the model and influencing variables for DHW heat use prediction in hotels in Norway. Energy and Buildings. vol. 228.
- (2020) Splitting measurements of the total heat demand in a hotel into domestic hot water and space heating heat use. Energy. vol. 219.
- (2020) Development and analysis of hourly DHW heat use profiles in nursing homes in Norway. Energy and Buildings. vol. 222.
- (2020) Analysis of monthly and daily profiles of DHW use in apartment blocks in Norway. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 172.
- (2020) A study on the integration of air-source heat pumps, solar collectors, and PCM tanks for outdoor swimming pools for winter application in subtropical climates. Journal of Building Performance Simulation. vol. 13 (6).
- (2020) Building heating applications with phase change material: A comprehensive review. Journal of Energy Storage. vol. 31.
- (2020) An ANN-based optimization approach of building energy systems: Case study of swimming pool. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 277.
- (2020) Minimizing delivered energy and life cycle cost using Graphical script: An office building retrofitting case. Applied Energy. vol. 268.
- (2020) Energy Master Planning: Identifying Framing Constraints That Scope Your Technology Options. ASHRAE Transactions. vol. 126.
- (2020) A Simple and Novel Method to Predict the Hospital Energy Use Based on Machine Learning: A Case Study in Norway. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 1332.
- (2019) A study of citywide urban residential energy information system for the building energy efficiency management: a cluster model of seven typical cities in China. Energy Efficiency. vol. 12 (6).
- (2019) Energy analysis and energy planning for kindergartens based on data analysis. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Optimal control of secondary side supply water temperature for substation in district heating systems. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 111.