Background and activities
I'm working as a professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science here at NTNU. I'm affiliated with the Data and Information Management Group, where my main research interests include distributed and parallel database systems, query processing, information retrieval, and Big Data in general.
I'm currently involved in the following courses:
- Big Data architcture
- Data warehousing and data mining
- Advanced database systems
In addition, I also give PhD courses (run as seminars) on the following topics:
- Temporal infomation retrieval
- Advanced topics in database systems
- Web mining
Previous teching has been on a wide range of topics, including Information retrieval, Distributed systems, Data modelling and database systems, Operating Systems, Algorithms and data structures, Computer architecture, and Computer systems.
I have been involved in a number of projects during recent years, including:
As a Principal Investigator/Coordinator:
- ExiBiDa: Exploring new dimensions in Big Data, funding one PhD student and one postdoc, approx. 1M Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2015-2019.
- CoupledDB: High-Performance Indexing for Emerging GPU-Coupled Databases, 208K Euro (EU H2020-MSCA), 2017-2019.
- CloudIX: Cloud-based Indexing and Query Processing, 212K Euro (EU FP7 with partial funding from the Norwegian Research Council), 2011-2013.
- COMIDOR: Cooperative Mining of Independent Document Repositories, funding two PhD students and two postdocs, approx. 1.1M Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2008-2013.
- DASCOSA: Database Support for Computational Science Applications,, funding one PhD student and one postdoc, approx. 400K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2012.
- XML/Web databases, funding one postdoc, approx. 125K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2002-2005.
As a project member:
- MUSED: Multi-Source Event Detection, 7M NOK (NTNU funded), 2017-2021.
- LongRec: Records Management over Decades (Consortium led by DNV), approx. 2.1M Euro (partially funded by the Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2011.
- IS_A: Integrated Semantic Access in Situated Operations (PI: Jon Atle Gulla), approx. 400K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2010.
- KEYSTONE: Semantic keyword-based search on structured data sources (member of Management Committee), ICT COST Action IC1302, 2013-2017.
Below are some selected publications from recent years. For a complete list, including links to preprints of the papers, please check out my CV.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Applying temporal dependence to detect changes in streaming data. Applied intelligence (Boston). vol. 48 (12).
- (2018) High utility drift detection in quantitative data streams. Knowledge-Based Systems. vol. 157.
- (2017) Exploratory product search using top-k join queries. Information Systems. vol. 64 (March).
- (2014) A survey of large-scale analytical query processing in MapReduce. The VLDB journal. vol. 23 (3).
- (2012) Processing of Rank Joins in Highly Distributed Systems. Proceedings / International Conference on Data Engineering.
- (2012) Distributed top-k query processing by exploiting skyline summaries. Distributed and parallel databases. vol. 30 (3-4).
- (2011) Monochromatic and Bichromatic Reverse Top-k Queries. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. vol. 23 (8).
- (2010) DYFRAM: dynamic fragmentation and replica management in distributed database systems. Distributed and parallel databases. vol. 28 (2-3).
- (2010) Efficient Processing of Top-k Spatial Preference Queries. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment. vol. 4 (2).
- (2010) Identifying the Most Influential Data Objects with Reverse Top-k Queries. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment. vol. 3 (1).
- (2007) DESENT: decentralized and distributed semantic overlay generation in P2P networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. vol. 25 (1).
- (2004) The Vagabond Approach to Logging and Recovery in Transaction-Time Temporal Object Database Systems. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. vol. 16 (4).
- (2015) Temporal Information Retrieval. Now Publishers Inc.. 2015. ISBN 978-1-68083-032-3.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Locality-adapted Kernel Densities for Tweet Localization. Proceedings of the 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval.
- (2017) Anticipating Information Needs Based on Check-in Activity. Proceedings of the Tenth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, WSDM 2017, Cambridge, United Kingdom, February 6-10, 2017.
- (2016) Top-k Dominating Queries, in Parallel, in Memory. Evaggelia Pitoura, Sofian Maabout, Georgia Koutrika, Amélie Marian, Letizia Tanca, Ioana Manolescu, Kostas Stefanidis: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, EDBT 2016, Bordeaux, France, March 15-16, 2016, Bordeaux, France, March 15-16, 2016.
- (2016) Online Food Recipe Title Semantics: Combining Nutrient Facts and Topics. Proceedings of the 25th ACM International on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.
- (2016) Efficient processing of top-k joins in MapReduce. Proceedings 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- (2015) Finding the Most Diverse Products using Preference Queries. Advances in Database Technology - EDBT 2015, 18th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, Brussels, Belgium, March 23-27, Proceedings.
- (2015) Temporality in Online Food Recipe Consumption and Production. Aldo Gangemi, Stefano Leonardi, Alessandro Panconesi: Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on World Wide Web Companion, WWW 2015, Florence, Italy, May 18-22, 2015 - Companion Volume.
- (2015) Good Times Bad Times: A Study on Recency Effects in Collaborative Filtering for Social Tagging. Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, RecSys 2015, Vienna, Austria, September 16-20, 2015.
- (2014) A burstiness-aware approach for document dating. The 37th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, SIGIR '14, Gold Coast , QLD, Australia - July 06 - 11, 2014.
- (2013) On community detection in real-world networks and the importance of degree assortativity. The 19th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD 2013, Chicago, IL, USA, August 11-14, 2013.
- (2013) Branch-and-bound algorithm for reverse top-k queries. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2013, New York, NY, USA, June 22-27, 2013.
- (2012) The SemSets model for ad-hoc semantic list search. Proceedings of the 21st World Wide Web Conference 2012, WWW 2012, Lyon, France, April 16-20, 2012.
- (2012) Top-k spatial keyword queries on road networks. 15th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, EDBT '12, Berlin, Germany, March 27-30, 2012, Proceedings.
- (2011) Efficient Execution Plans for Distributed Skyline Query Processing. EDBT/ICDT 2011 Joint Conference.
- (2010) WikiPop: personalized event detection system based on Wikipedia page view statistics. Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management.
- (2010) On the selectivity of multidimensional routing indices. Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management.
- (2010) Reverse Top-k Queries. 26th International Conference on Data Engineering. Conference Proceedings.
- (2010) K-AP: Generating Specified K Clusters by Efficient Affinity Propagation. 10th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Proceedings.
- (2009) Multidimensional Routing Indices for Efficient Distributed Query Processing. Proceedings of 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM'09).
- (2009) Efficient and Robust Database Support for Data-Intensive Applications in Dynamic Environments. Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2009).
- (2008) Skyline-based Peer-to-Peer Top-k Query Processing. Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE 24th International Conference on Data Engineering.
- (2008) PROQID: Partial Restarts of Queries in Distributed Databases. Proceedings of ACM 17th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 08).
- (2008) On efficient top-k query processing in highly distributed environments. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2008, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- (2006) The SOWES approach to P2P web search using semantic overlays. Proceedings of the 15th international conference on World Wide Web.