Background and activities
I'm working as a professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science here at NTNU. I'm affiliated with the Data and Information Management Group, where my main research interests include distributed and parallel database systems, query processing, information retrieval, and Big Data in general.
I'm currently involved in the following courses:
- Big Data architcture
- Data warehousing and data mining
- Advanced database systems
In addition, I also give PhD courses (run as seminars) on the following topics:
- Temporal infomation retrieval
- Advanced topics in database systems
- Web mining
Previous teching has been on a wide range of topics, including Information retrieval, Distributed systems, Data modelling and database systems, Operating Systems, Algorithms and data structures, Computer architecture, and Computer systems.
I have been involved in a number of projects during recent years, including:
As a Principal Investigator:
- ExiBiDa: Exploring new dimensions in Big Data, funding one PhD student and one postdoc, approx. 1M Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2015-2019.
- COMIDOR: Cooperative Mining of Independent Document Repositories, funding two PhD students and two postdocs, approx. 1.1M Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2008-2013.
- DASCOSA: Database Support for Computational Science Applications,, funding one PhD student and one postdoc, approx. 400K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2012.
- XML/Web databases, funding one postdoc, approx. 125K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2002-2005.
As a project member:
- CloudIX: Cloud-based Indexing and Query Processing, 212K Euro (EU FP7 with partial funding from the Norwegian Research Council), 2011-2013.
- LongRec: Records Management over Decades (Consortium led by DNV), approx. 2.1M Euro (partially funded by the Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2011.
- IS_A: Integrated Semantic Access in Situated Operations (PI: Jon Atle Gulla), approx. 400K Euro (Norwegian Research Council), 2007-2010.
- KEYSTONE: Semantic keyword-based search on structured data sources (member of Management Committee), ICT COST Action IC1302, 2013-2017.
Below are some selected publications from recent years. For a complete list, including links to preprints of the papers, please check out my CV.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) High Utility Drift Detection in Quantitative Data Streams. Knowledge-Based Systems.
- (2018) Spatial Statistics of Term Co-occurrences for Location Prediction of Tweets. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10772.
- (2017) Efficient High Utility Itemset Mining using Buffered Utility-Lists. Applied intelligence (Boston).
- (2017) Exploratory product search using top-k join queries. Information Systems. vol. 64 (March).
- (2016) TPDL 2016 Doctoral Consortium. Bulletin of IEEE Technical Committee on Digital Libraries. vol. 12 (2).
- (2015) Maximizing influence of spatio-textual objects based on keyword selection. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9239.
- (2015) Temporal information retrieval. Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval. vol. 9 (2).
- (2015) Mining Correlations on Massive Bursty Time Series Collections. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9049.
- (2015) IR game: How well do you know information retrieval papers?. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1345.
- (2014) A survey of large-scale analytical query processing in MapReduce. The VLDB journal. vol. 23 (3).
- (2014) APSkyline: Improved Skyline Computation for Multicore Architectures. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8421.
- (2014) Temporal expertise profiling. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8416.
- (2013) Framework for Grouping and Summarizing Keyword Search Results. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8133.
- (2013) Discovering Influential Data Objects over Time. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8098.
- (2013) A Framework for Modeling, Computing and Presenting Time-Aware Recommendations. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8220.
- (2013) gRecs: Exploiting the Power of Data Mining Techniques for Efficient Computation of Group Recommendations. ERCIM News.
- (2013) Temporal Classifiers for Predicting the Expansion of Medical Subject Headings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7816.
- (2012) Collection Ranking and Selection for Federated Entity Search. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7608.
- (2012) Processing of Rank Joins in Highly Distributed Systems. Proceedings / International Conference on Data Engineering.
- (2012) On the Modeling of Entities for Ad-Hoc Entity Search in the Web of Data. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7224.