Background and activities
Olav Egeland is Professor of Production Automation at Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He graduated as siv.ing. (1984) and dr.ing. (1987) in Electrical Engineering at NTNU, and was professor in Robotics at Department of Engineering Cybernetcs 1989 - 2004. He was co-founder, CTO and CEO of Marine Cybernetics AS 2004-2011.
In the academic year 88/89 he was at the Robotics Lab at the German Aerospace Center in Oberpfaffenhofen. In the period 1996-1998 he was Head of Department of Engineering Cybernetics, Vice Dean of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, and member of the Research Committee for Science and Technology at NTNU. He was Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 1996-1999 and of the European Journal of Control 1998-2000. He received the Automatica Prize Paper Award in 1996, and the 2000 IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He has supervised the graduation of 74 MSc and 20 PhD, and was Program Manager of the Strategic University Program in Marine Cybernetics and coordinator of the control activity of the Centre of Ships and Ocean Structures at NTNU. He has wide experience as a consultant for industry. His research interests are within modeling, simulation and control of mechanical systems with applications to robotics and offshore systems
- Coordinator of MSc Program in Subsea Engineering
- Head of Production Systems Group
- Manager of Work Package 2 and 4 in SFI Offshore Mechatronics.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Motor Parameterization. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 28 (34).
- (2017) Development and validation of robotic cleaning system for fish processing plants. IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation.
- (2017) Automated assembly using 3D and 2D cameras. Robotics. vol. 6 (3).
- (2017) Feedback Linearizing Control of a Gas-Liquid Cylindrical Cyclone. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Control-Oriented Modelling of Gas-Liquid Cylindrical Cyclones. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Estimation of Crane Load Parameters During Tracking Using Expectation-Maximization. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Object Detection in Point Clouds Using Conformal Geometric Algebra. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (3).
- (2017) Automatic Multivector Differentiation and Optimization. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (1).
- (2017) Motor Estimation using Heterogeneous Sets of Objects in Conformal Geometric Algebra. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (3).
- (2016) Inverse kinematics for industrial robots using conformal geometric algebra. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 37 (1).
- (2016) Tracking a Swinging Target with a Robot Manipulator using Visual Sensing. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 37 (1).
- (2016) Automatic touch-up of welding paths using 3D vision. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 49 (31).
- (2014) Robotic Assembly of Aircraft Engine Components Using a Closed-loop Alignment Process. Procedia CIRP. vol. 23.
- (2008) Crane feedback control in offshore moonpool operations. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 16 (3).
- (2008) Infinite dimensional observer for a flexible robot arm with a tip load. Asian journal of control. vol. 10.
- (2007) New undergraduate courses in control. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 28 (2).
- (2007) New Schemes for Positive Real Truncation. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 28 (3).
- (2006) State-space representation of radiation forces in time-domain vessel models (Reprinted from Ocean Engineering vol 32, pg 2195-5516, 2005). Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 27 (1).
- (2006) Output Feedback Stabilization of a Class of Second-Order Distributed Parameter Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2006) Output Feedback Stabilization of a Flexible Beam with Hydraulic Drive. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.