Background and activities
Olav Egeland is Professor of Production Automation at Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He graduated as siv.ing. (1984) and dr.ing. (1987) in Electrical Engineering at NTNU, and was professor of Robotics at Department of Engineering Cybernetcs 1989 - 2004. He was co-founder, CTO and CEO of Marine Cybernetics AS 2004-2011.
In the academic year 88/89 he was at the Robotics Lab of the German Aerospace Center in Oberpfaffenhofen. In the period 1996-1998 he was Head of Department of Engineering Cybernetics, Vice Dean of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, and member of the Research Committee for Science and Technology at NTNU. He was Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 1996-1999 and of the European Journal of Control 1998-2000. He received the Automatica Prize Paper Award in 1996, and the 2000 IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He has supervised the graduation of 85 MSc and 23 PhD, and was Program Manager of the Strategic University Program in Marine Cybernetics 1997-2004, and particpated in the Centre of Ships and Ocean Structures at NTNU 2002-2004. His research interests are within modeling, simulation and control of mechanical systems with applications to robotics and offshore systems
- Coordinator of MSc Program in Subsea Engineering
- Head of the Robotics and Automation Group.
- Manager of Work Package 2 and 4 in SFI Offshore Mechatronics.
- Scientific Coordinator of Manulab, a national lab for production technology.
- TPK4560 - Robotics and Automation, Specialization Project
- TPK4171 - Advanced Industrial Robotics
- TPK4460 - Robotics and Automation
- TPK4960 - Robotics and Automation, Master's Thesis
- PK8100 - Advanced Robotics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Elimination of Reflections in Laser Scanning Systems with Convolutional Neural Networks. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 43 (1).
- (2022) Robotic weld groove scanning for large tubular T-joints using a line laser sensor. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 120.
- (2022) Identification of the geometric design parameters of propeller blades from 3D scanning. Journal of Marine Science and Technology.
- (2022) Lyapunov-based damping controller with nonlinear MPC control of payload position for a knuckle boom crane. Automatica. vol. 140.
- (2022) Numerical study on buckling of aluminum extruded panels considering welding effects. Marine Structures. vol. 84.
- (2021) Kinematics and Dynamics of Flexible Robotic Manipulators Using Dual Screws. IEEE Transactions on Robotics. vol. 37 (1).
- (2021) Laser Scanning and Parametrization of Weld Grooves with Reflective Surfaces. Sensors. vol. 21 (14).
- (2021) Estimation of ship-deck motion using lidar, gyroscopes and cameras. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 42 (3).
- (2021) Polarization image sensor-based laser scanner for reflective metals: architecture and implementation. Proceedings of IEEE Sensors.
- (2021) Residual vibration control for robotic 3D scanning with application to inspection of marine propellers. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 42 (2).
- (2021) Lie Algebraic Unscented Kalman Filter for Pose Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control.
- (2021) Dual Quaternion Particle Filtering for Pose Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 29 (5).
- (2021) Vision-based control of a knuckle boom crane with online cable length estimation. IEEE/ASME transactions on mechatronics. vol. 26 (1).
- (2021) An Open-Source Python-Based Boundary-Element Method Code for the Three-Dimensional, Zero-Froude, Infinite-Depth, Water-Wave Diffraction-Radiation Problem. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 42 (2).
- (2020) Dynamics of luffing motion of a flexible knuckle boom crane actuated by hydraulic cylinders. Mechanism and Machine Theory. vol. 143.
- (2020) View Planning for Robotic Inspection of Tolerances Through Visual Tracking of Manual Surface Finishing Operations. International Journal of Robotic Computing. vol. 2 (2).
- (2020) Extrinsic calibration for motion estimation using unit quaternions and particle filtering. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 41 (3).
- (2019) Vision system for quality assessment of robotic cleaning of fish processing plants using CNN. IEEE Access. vol. 7.
- (2019) Dynamic modelling and force analysis of a knuckle boom crane using screw theory. Mechanism and Machine Theory. vol. 133.
- (2019) Determination of reaction forces of a deck crane in wave motion using screw theory. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 141 (6).