Background and activities
Olav Egeland is Professor of Production Automation at Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He graduated as siv.ing. (1984) and dr.ing. (1987) in Electrical Engineering at NTNU, and was professor of Robotics at Department of Engineering Cybernetcs 1989 - 2004. He was co-founder, CTO and CEO of Marine Cybernetics AS 2004-2011.
In the academic year 88/89 he was at the Robotics Lab of the German Aerospace Center in Oberpfaffenhofen. In the period 1996-1998 he was Head of Department of Engineering Cybernetics, Vice Dean of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, and member of the Research Committee for Science and Technology at NTNU. He was Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 1996-1999 and of the European Journal of Control 1998-2000. He received the Automatica Prize Paper Award in 1996, and the 2000 IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He has supervised the graduation of 85 MSc and 23 PhD, and was Program Manager of the Strategic University Program in Marine Cybernetics 1997-2004, and particpated in the Centre of Ships and Ocean Structures at NTNU 2002-2004. His research interests are within modeling, simulation and control of mechanical systems with applications to robotics and offshore systems
- Coordinator of MSc Program in Subsea Engineering
- Head of the Robotics and Automation Group.
- Manager of Work Package 2 and 4 in SFI Offshore Mechatronics.
- Scientific Coordinator of Manulab, a national lab for production technology.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Vision system for quality assessment of robotic cleaning of fish processing plants using CNN. IEEE Access. vol. 7.
- (2019) Dynamic modelling and force analysis of a knuckle boom crane using screw theory. Mechanism and machine theory. vol. 133.
- (2019) Determination of reaction forces of a deck crane in wave motion using screw theory. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 141.
- (2019) Coarse Alignment for Model Fitting of Point Clouds Using a Curvature-Based Descriptor. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. vol. 16 (2).
- (2018) Mechanical design optimization of a 6DOF serial manipulator using genetic algorithm. IEEE Access. vol. 6.
- (2018) Modeling and Control of a Bifilar Crane Payload. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2018-June.
- (2018) A Curvature-Based Descriptor for Point Cloud Alignment Using Conformal Geometric Algebra. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 28 (50).
- (2018) Robotic Autoscanning of Highly Skewed Ship Propeller Blades. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (22).
- (2018) Pose Estimation using Dual Quaternions and Moving Horizon Estimation. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (13).
- (2018) Motor Parameterization. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 28 (2).
- (2018) Dynamic interaction of a heavy crane and a ship in wave motion. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 39 (2).
- (2017) Development and validation of robotic cleaning system for fish processing plants. IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation.
- (2017) Automated assembly using 3D and 2D cameras. Robotics. vol. 6 (3).
- (2017) Feedback Linearizing Control of a Gas-Liquid Cylindrical Cyclone. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Control-Oriented Modelling of Gas-Liquid Cylindrical Cyclones. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Estimation of Crane Load Parameters During Tracking Using Expectation-Maximization. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Object Detection in Point Clouds Using Conformal Geometric Algebra. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (3).
- (2017) Automatic Multivector Differentiation and Optimization. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (1).
- (2017) Motor Estimation using Heterogeneous Sets of Objects in Conformal Geometric Algebra. Advances in Applied Clifford Algebras. vol. 27 (3).
- (2016) Inverse kinematics for industrial robots using conformal geometric algebra. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 37 (1).