Ole Andreas Alsos
Background and activities
Ole Andreas Alsos is Associate Professor at Department of Design and Vice Dean for Innovation and Dissemination at the Faculty of Architecture and Design. Alsos has a MSc in computer science and a PhD in computer and information science from NTNU.
Recent Work Experience
- 2017 – Head of Department, Department of Design, NTNU
- 2016 – CEO Serious Games AS
- 2013 – 2017 Associate Professor, Dept. of Computer and Information Science, NTNU
- 2012 – 2017 Interaction designer, IT advisor and project manager, BEKK. Founder of the usability department.
- 2012 – Research grant applicant and researcher in BLOPP, a multidisciplinary project that aim to use design and technology to improve children´s experience of taking medication (part-time)
- 2013 – IxDA Trondheim: Co-founder and chairman of the Trondheim chapter of Interaction Design Association.
- 2002 – 2003 Abakus Student Association: Executive board member, society for ICT students at NTNU
- 2000 – 2004 Newspaper Readme: Chief Editor, newspaper for ICT-students at NTNU with an editorial of 15
- Several top positions in national prototyping competitions (2nd place from the UMBRA- championship. 1st place from the Norwegian championship in 2009, 2nd place 2010)
- Won the poster competititon arranged by the Norwegian Research Council in 2008, 2009
- World champion, team overall, naval pentathlon 2001. Have several international (team) and national medals (individual)
- Awarded Best sport student, Officer school 1999
- Awarded Best troop and Best recruit as Deputy Commander Troop in the Norwegian Navy, 2000.
- PD8401 - Interaction Design
- PD6010 - Artificial Intelligence and Design Thinking
- TPD4167 - Information Visualisation
- TPD4500 - Design 9, Specialization Project
- TPD4126 - Prototyping Tangible User Experiences
- TPD4114 - Visual Communication
- TPD4505 - Design Theory, Specialization Course
- TPD4900 - Industrial Design Engineeering, Master's Thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) A systematic review of human-AI interaction in autonomous ship systems. Safety Science. vol. 152.
- (2021) Explaining a deep reinforcement learning docking agent using linear model trees with user adapted visualization. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9 (11).
- (2021) Serious Game Design to Support Children Struggling with School Refusal. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SERIOUS GAMES. vol. 8 (2).
- (2021) Design for Resilient Human-System Interaction in Autonomy: The Case of a Shore Control Centre for Unmanned Ships. Proceedings of the Design Society. vol. 1.
- (2021) Human-centered explainable artificial intelligence for marine autonomous surface vehicles. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9 (11).
- (2019) The role of storytelling in art museum experiences. Cumulus Conference Proceedings Series.
- (2015) Teaching product design students how to make everyday things interactive with Arduino. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1450.
- (2012) Mobile health IT: The effect of user interface and form factor on doctor–patient communication. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 81 (1).
- (2011) Doctors’ Concerns of PDAs in the Ward Round Situation: Lessons from a Formative Simulation Study. Methods of Information in Medicine. vol. 50 (2).
- (2011) Designing for the secondary user experience. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6949 (4).
- (2010) Fidelity Considerations for Simulation-Based Usability Assessments of Mobile ICT for Hospitals. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. vol. 26 (5).
- (2010) Usability testing of mobile ICT for clinical settings: Methodological and practical challenges. International Journal of Medical Informatics. vol. 79 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2022) Increasing the Usability of Audio Alerts with Voice Instructions on Ship’s Bridges. Human Factors in Accessibility and Assistive Technology. AHFE (2022) International Conference.
- (2021) TRUSTING AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS – DESIGNING FOR BYSTANDERS AND SECONDARY USERS. DS 110: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE 2021), VIA Design, VIA University in Herning, Denmark. 9th -10th September 2021.
- (2020) Visual Dissemination of HCI Research: How to make us understand your research with visuals. NordiCHI '20: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction.
- (2020) Teen evaluations of a game targeting school refusal. IDC 2020 Extended Abstract Proceedings.
- (2020) Gesture-Based Ιnteraction: Visual Gesture Mapping. Human-Computer Interaction. Multimodal and Natural Interaction.
- (2020) The Potential of Gesture-Based Interaction. Human-Computer Interaction. Multimodal and Natural Interaction.
- (2018) Designing for Wellbeing with Health Data Tracking – Maintaining the User Perspective in Objective Data. DS 91: Proceedings of NordDesign 2018, Linköping, Sweden, 14th - 17th August 2018 DESIGN IN THE ERA OF DIGITALIZATION.
- (2015) Gamification and Family Housework Applications. Entertainment Computing - ICEC 2015 14th International Conference, ICEC 2015, Trondheim, Norway, September 29 - Ocotober 2, 2015, Proceedings.