Background and activities
Our research centers around microphysiological systems (MPS) for the immune system in health and disease. The immune system is complex in cell biological aspects but relatively simple anatomically. We have chosen this tissue-on-chip approach to mimic several of the functions of the immune system, such as migration, T cell development and immune effects on diseased tissue, to better be able to perform R&D on important aspects towards effective immunotherapy
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) The intercell dynamics of T cells and dendritic cells in a lymph node-on-a-chip flow device. Lab on a Chip. vol. 16.
- (2015) Keap1 regulates inflammatory signaling in Mycobacterium avium-infected human macrophages. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 112 (31).
- (2015) Seeing a mycobacterium-infected cell in nanoscale 3D: Correlative imaging by light microscopy and FIB/SEM tomography. PLoS ONE. vol. 10:e0134644 (9).
- (2015) Infection and immunity on a chip: A compartmentalised microfluidic platform to monitor immune cell behaviour in real time. Lab on a Chip. vol. 15 (6).
- (2013) Dynamics of immune effector mechanisms during infection with Mycobacterium aviumin C57BL/6 mice. Immunology. vol. 140 (2).
- (2010) Intracellular Mycobacterium avium Intersect Transferrin in the Rab11(+) Recycling Endocytic Pathway and Avoid Lipocalin 2 Trafficking to the Lysosomal Pathway. Journal of Infectious Diseases. vol. 201 (5).
- (2010) The Rab11a GTPase Controls Toll-like Receptor 4-Induced Activation of Interferon Regulatory Factor-3 on Phagosomes. Immunity. vol. 33 (4).
- (2009) IL-10 Enhances MD-2 and CD14 Expression in Monocytes and the Proteins Are Increased and Correlated in HIV-Infected Patients. Journal of Immunology. vol. 182 (1).
- (2007) The journey of Toll-like receptors in the cell. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. vol. 598.
- (2006) Endocytic pathways regulate Toll-like receptor 4 signaling and link innate and adaptive immunity. EMBO Journal. vol. 25.
- (2004) Monocytes stimulated with group B Streptococci or interferons release tumour necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology. vol. 60 (1-2).
- (2002) Involvement of toll-like receptor (TLR) 2 and TLR4 in cell activation by mannuronic acid polymers. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 277 (38).
- (2001) Differential expression of Toll-like receptor 2 in human cells. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. vol. 69.
- (2001) Nonlabeled Secondary Antibodies Augment/Maintain the binding of Primarym Specific Antibodies to Cell Membrane Antigens. Cytometry. vol. 45.
- (2000) Human Toll-like Receptor 2 mediates monocyte activation by Listeria monocytogenes, but not by group B streptococci or lipopolysaccharide. Journal of Immunology. vol. 164.
- (2000) Immune stimulating properties of di-equatorially beta(1->4) linked poly-uronides. Proceedings of the Phytochemical Society of Europe. vol. 44.
- (1998) Induction of Fas ligand in murine bone marrow NK cells by bacterial polysaccharides. Immunology.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Towards Making a Cyborg: A Closed-Loop Reservoir-Neuro System. Proceedings of the European Conference on Artificial Life 2017.
- (2008) Intracellular Trafficing of Toll-like Receptors. Signalling by Toll-like Receptors.
- (2001) Mechanisms of immunomodulation and cell-mediated cytotoxicity induced by bacterial products. 2001. ISBN 82-471-5069-7.