Background and activities
I am an associate professor in clinical neuropsychology at the Department of Psychology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology - NTNU. I am also a certified specialist in clinical neuropsychology and a member of the Neuropsychological Expert Committee for the Norwegian Psychological Association, NPF.
My research focuses on understanding cognitive, emotional and brain changes in stroke, mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease.
The main research methods I use include neuropsychological examination, magnetic resonance imaging and cerebrospinal fluid analysis.
I am the leader of the Vascular Diseases (VaD) Research Group that focuses on understanding cognitive and emotional symptoms after stroke as well as related brain changes.
We are studying these stroke sequelae in relation to imaging biomarkers such as white matter connectivity (DTI derived), default mode network disruption (rs-fMRI derived) and perfusion (ASL derived). Currently, two PhD students at NTNU, who I am the main supervisor for, are studying cognitive and emotional symptoms in the acute phase as well as up to 3 years after stroke. The group works closely together with an interdisciplinary team, including both national and international collaborators.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Hukommelse etter iskemisk hjerneslag. Nevropsykologi : Medlemsblad for Norsk Nevropsykologisk Forening. vol. 2022 (1).
- (2022) Attention and target shooting practice: Longitudinal results in a controlled mixed method study on adolescents in Norway. International Journal of Educational Research Open. vol. 3.
- (2022) The relationship of acute delirium with cognitive and psychiatric symptoms after stroke: a longitudinal study. BMC Neurology. vol. 22.
- (2022) The effect of cognitive function and central nervous system depressant use on mortality—A prospective observational study of previously hospitalised older patients. PLOS ONE. vol. 17 (3).
- (2021) The association between pain and central nervous system depressing medication among hospitalised Norwegian older adults. Scandinavian Journal of Pain.
- (2021) The Relationship of Psychiatric Symptoms with Performance-Based and Self-Reported Cognitive Function After Ischemic Stroke. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. vol. 28 (1).
- (2020) Association between prescribed central nervous system depressant drugs, comorbidity and cognition among hospitalised older patients: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. vol. 10 (7).
- (2020) “What should I do when I get home?” treatment plan discussion at discharge between specialist physicians and older in-patients: mixed method study. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 20:1002.
- (2019) Clinical Neuropsychology: Status in Western Countries and Potential in Lithuania. Psichologija.
- (2019) Long-term use of central nervous system depressant medications is associated with reduced cognitive function in hospitalised older patients: a cross sectional study. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 26.
- (2018) Undervisning i klinisk nevropsykologi på profesjonsstudiene i Norge. Nevropsykologi : Medlemsblad for Norsk Nevropsykologisk Forening. vol. 1.
- (2017) Cerebrospinal fluid levels of amyloid beta 1-43 mirror 1-42 in relation to imaging biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. vol. 9.
- (2017) Biomarkers in subtypes of mild cognitive impairment and subjective cognitive decline. Brain and Behavior. vol. 7 (9).
- (2017) Detecting at-risk Alzheimer's disease cases. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. vol. 60 (1).
- (2015) Neurobiological correlates of depressive symptoms in people with subjective and mild cognitive impairment. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. vol. 131 (2).
- (2015) Hippocampal complex atrophy in poststroke and mild cognitive impairment. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. vol. 35 (11).
- (2013) Mild cognitive impairment: cerebrospinal fluid tau biomarker pathologic levels and longitudinal changes in white matter integrity. Radiology. vol. 266 (1).
- (2013) Correlates of subjective and mild cognitive impairment: Depressive symptoms and CSF biomarkers. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders Extra. vol. 3.
- (2013) Diffusion Tensor Imaging Surpasses Cerebrospinal Fluid as Predictor of Cognitive Decline and Medial Temporal Lobe Atrophy in Subjective Cognitive Impairment and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. vol. 33 (3).
- (2012) Executive Dysfunction in MCI: Subtype or Early Symptoms. International Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.