Background and activities
Professor in Marine Control Engineering from August 2009. Research projects: Arctic Dynamic Positioning; Ice surveillance; Power Management Systems.
Chair in marine control engineering
The chair held by Professor Roger Skjetne in marine control engineering will focus on three fields. The first is dynamic positioning of marine vessels, which means to develop energy-optimal systems to make ships automatically and safely keep position and heading, even under the influence of wind, currents, waves, and ice, and also when exposed to relevant system and component failures. This is essential for supply ships and drill rigs to safely operate in deep waters in Arctic areas.
The other field is management control systems for electric power generation and distribution onboard ships. This is important to to reach the goal of safe and environmentally robust marine electrical power systems, to avoid blackouts, and on longer term for the vision of zero emissions from ships.
The third field is motion control of marine vessels, both in controlling single vessels and formations of vessels. For instance, it could be automatic control of several unmanned subsea vessels, and how they behave in relation to each other when mapping the bottom of the sea and in coordinated movement with a vessel on the surface. It may also be used to control formations of unmanned aircrafts that monitor the environment and ice conditions in the Arctics.
Fields of interest:
- Autonomous control of marine vessels under influence of environmental loads.
- Dynamic positioning control systems.
- Control of shipboard hybrid electric power systems.
- Arctic stationkeeping and Ice Management systems, incl. ice surveillance.
- Hybrid experimental- and simulation-based model testing.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Sea state estimation based on vessel motion responses: Improved smoothness and robustness using Bezier surface and L1 optimization. Marine Structures. vol. 76.
- (2021) Active heave compensation of floating wind turbine installation using a catamaran construction vessel. Marine Structures. vol. 75.
- (2021) Genset scheduling in a redundant electric power system for an offshore vessel using mixed integer linear programming. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 143 (6).
- (2021) Optimal Actuator Placement for Real-Time Hybrid Model Testing Using Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9 (2).
- (2020) Consecutive Compensator in Station-Keeping of a Surface Vessel - Последовательный компенсатор в задаче удержания положения надводного судна. Mehatronika, Avtomatizaciâ, Upravlenie. vol. 21 (10).
- (2020) Ice Condition Assessment Using Onboard Accelerometers and Statistical Change Detection. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- (2020) A hybrid kinematic controller for resilient obstacle avoidance of autonomous ships. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 929.
- (2020) Active Single-Blade Installation Using Tugger Line Tension Control and Optimal Control Allocation. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering. vol. 30 (2).
- (2020) A survey on modeling and control of thruster-assisted position mooring systems. Marine Structures. vol. 74.
- (2020) Comparing Combinations of Linear and Nonlinear Feedback Terms for Ship Motion Control. IEEE Access. vol. 8.
- (2020) Optimal Force Allocation for Overconstrained Cable-Driven Parallel Robots: Continuously Differentiable Solutions With Assessment of Computational Efficiency. IEEE Transactions on Robotics.
- (2019) Can a computer see what an ice expert sees? Multilabel ice objects classification with convolutional neural networks. Results in Engineering (RINENG). vol. 4.
- (2019) An Intelligent Power and Energy Management System for Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Reinforcement Learning. IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC).
- (2019) Zero-Emission Autonomous Ferries for Urban Water Transport: Cheaper, Cleaner Alternative to Bridges and Manned Vessels. IEEE Electrification Magazine. vol. 7 (4).
- (2019) A Crane Overload Protection Controller for Blade Lifting Operation Based on Model Predictive Control. Energies. vol. 12 (1).
- (2019) Integrated GNSS/IMU Hub Motion Estimator for Offshore Wind Turbine Blade Installation. Mechanical systems and signal processing. vol. 123.
- (2019) Compensation of bias loads in dynamic positioning of marine surface vessels. Ocean Engineering. vol. 178.
- (2019) Comparison of control design models and observers for dynamic positioning of surface vessels. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 85.
- (2018) Hybrid controller concept for dynamic positioning of marine vessels with experimental results. Automatica. vol. 93.
- (2018) Model Predictive Control of Marine Vessel Power System by Use of Structure Preserving Model. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).