Background and activities
Information about myself
After receiving a Dr.ing. degree from NTH in 1984, I joined Statoil Research Centre in
In 1991 I joined CorrOcean in a combined management/technical position to develop the company from a small national company to be a leading international company within “Corrosion monitoring and corrosion management”. During my 13 years with CorrOcean the company grew from 30 people to 350 people with activities in all the major oil regions in the world. I also got the opportunity to visit the most important regions with oil activities in the world including Asia,
After 20 years in oil industry I accepted an offer to be a Professor within “Corrosion and Surface Technology” at IPM in 2004. I still have good contact with the industry and use my contact and experience to develop my courses and to get interesting industrial related projects both for master students and for PhD candidates.
I am present manager for the Strategic Area Materials (Tematisk Satsingsområde Materialer) at NTNU.
Fields of interest
- Material technology for the oil industry
- Corrosion of metallic materials for the process industry
- Corrosion protection by cathodic protection and/or coating
- Corrosion, erosion and wear resistant materials and surfaces
- Tribology (including tribo-corrosion)
- Integrity management of production systems
- Hydrogen embrittlement of metals
In the following is given a short presentation of the main research projects I’m involved in:
HISC - Hydrogen induced stress cracking of stainless steels
(2005 – 2011) JIP sponsored by Statoil, ConocoPhillips, Total, Shell, Petrobras, Chevron and supply industry.
Prevention of hydrogen induced stress cracking (HISC) in subsea pipelines and production systems made from stainless steels
(2006- 2012) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program.
NODE Advanced Riser Tensioning project
(2007-2010) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with National Oilwell Varco, Aker Solutions Maritime Hydraulics, Bosch Rexroth, Umoe Mandal, Statoil.
Pulsed plasma surface treatment (PPST) – effect on hydrogen embrittlement and hydrogen absorption and diffusion
(2009-2012) JIP sponsored by Total, Aker Solutions, FMC Kongsberg and MoTECH Plasma.
(2006-2010) Project sponsored by the Norwegian Research Council through the Petromaks program together with oil companies and service industry.
NOWITECH – Norwegian Research Centre for OffshoreWind (2009-2015) FME sponsored by The Norwegian Research Council and the industry. Participating in activities related to optimization of maintenance including coating technology.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) In situ small-scale hydrogen embrittlement testing made easy: An electrolyte for preserving surface integrity at nano-scale during hydrogen charging. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 43 (27).
- (2018) Effect of nickel on hydrogen permeation in ferritic/ pearlitic low alloy steels. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 43 (7).
- (2018) Environmentally assisted degradation of spinodal copper alloy C72900. Corrosion Science. vol. 142.
- (2018) Hydrogen stress cracking and crack initiation in precipitation hardened Ni-alloys. Engineering Failure Analysis. vol. 89.
- (2018) Effect of different microstructural features on the hydrogen embrittlement susceptibility of alloy 718. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 43 (13).
- (2018) Properties of TSA in natural seawater at ambient and elevated temperature. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion.
- (2017) Effect of microstructure on the corrosion resistance of duplex stainless steels: Materials performance maps. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 8.
- (2017) Hydrogen sulfide tube failure in a seawater heat exchanger. Materials performance. vol. 56 (9).
- (2017) Effect of tungsten on the pitting and crevice corrosion resistance of Type 25Cr super duplex stainless steels. Corrosion. vol. 73 (1).
- (2017) Materials and corrosion trends in offshore and subsea oil and gas production. npj Materials degradation.
- (2017) AA5083 and AA6082 exposed to seawater - Effect of potential on corrosion behaviour. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 3.
- (2017) Corrosion properties of nickel-aluminium bronze in natural seawater?Effect of galvanic coupling to UNS S31603. Corrosion Science. vol. 121.
- (2017) Corrosion of nickel aluminium bronze - Effect of a uniform magnetic field. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 3.
- (2017) Corrosion of nickel aluminium bronze - Effect of alloying elements and pH. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 3.
- (2017) Cathodic protection by distributed sacrificial anodes - A new cost-effective solution to prevent corrosion of subsea structures. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 2.
- (2017) Effect of hydrogen on dislocation nucleation in alloy 718. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 42 (24).
- (2016) Effect of Hydrogen on the hardness of different phases in super duplex stainless steel. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 41 (1).
- (2016) A new cast Ni-base alloy suitable for severe sour service. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 4.
- (2016) Effect of tungsten on pitting and crevice corrosion of type 25Cr super duplex stainless steel. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 2.
- (2015) Corrosion and subsequent erosion of hardmetals: Dependence of WC grain size and distribution, and binder composition. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion. vol. 66 (9).