Background and activities
Rune Nydal is an Associate Professor at the Programme for Applied Ethics, The Programme is to stimulate ethical reflection in research and education sector at the university. Nydal has been one of three employees since 2005. He studied atomic physics (MA) and philosophy (MA) at the University of Bergen. His doctorate from NTNU investigates the philosophical rationale for ELSA (or RRI) initiatives, through a study of the establishment of microarray technology and the FUGE initiative in Norway. Following this, he have been investigating the ELSA strategy of “integrated” or “collaborative” projects in a number of ELSA projects, in particular the Crossover research projects where he has been the PI. Crossover is part DrugLogics experiment integrative approaches. Nydal teaches research ethics and the ethics of science and technology. He is a member of The National Committee for Research Ethics in Science and Technology (NENT). He co-edited The Nordic Journal of Applied Ethics in the period 2006-2013, and have been coordinated the ELSA Norway network since 2013.
The ethics of Science and Technology. Research ethics. The integration of ethics in lagre scale research programs. The ELSA and RRI of genomics
Current research projects
Project leader. Crossover 2. Well-constructed knowledge commons. Norwegian Research Council, SAMANSVAR program 2015-2020
Project member. DrugLogic. NTNU Helse, Strategic research area, NTNU 2015-2018
Project leader. ELSA Norway. ELSA nettverksprogram 2013-2019
Past research projects
Project member. Ethos of personalised medicine. ‘Spearhead’ prosjekt at the faculty of humanities. 2014-2017
Prosjektleader. "Crossover Research. Well constructed systems biology" ELSA program, Norges forskningsråd 2010-2014.
Project member "Socially robust solar cells" Norges Forskningsråd 2010-2013
Prosjektmember ELSA wp Biotek 2021 Enzymatic modification and upgrading of marine polysaccharides 2013- 2016
Prosjektmedlem i ISP-FIDE Applied Ethics: Technology and Governance of Health and Natural resources. 2013- 2015
Projectmember “Nanoethos” evaluative syntehis project financed by the ELSA program NFR, 2009 See report
Prosjektmedlem. “Nanotrust”. ELSA program, Research Council of Norway: “Nanotrust, ethical conditions for a socially robust use of nanobiotechnology in aquaculture”. See RCN news
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Silencing trust: confidence and familiarity in re-engineering knowledge infrastructures. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy.
- (2020) Consolidating RRI and Open Science: Understanding the potential for transformative change. Life Sciences, Society and Policy. vol. 16 (7).
- (2019) Scientific knowledge in the age of computation: Explicated, computable and manageable?. Theoria. An international Journal of Theory, History and Foundations of Science. vol. 34 (2).
- (2015) Why is integration so difficult? Shifting roles of ethics and three idioms for thinking about science, technology and society. Etikk i praksis. vol. 9 (1).
- (2015) From ethics of restriction to ethics of construction: ELSA research in Norway. Nordic Journal of Science and Technology Studies. vol. 3 (1).
- (2014) We have never been ELSI researchers – there is no need for a post-ELSI shift. Life Sciences, Society and Policy. vol. 10 (9).
- (2011) Centre and Periphery of Nano - A Norwegian Context. NanoEthics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2008) God nanoetikk - god nanoteknologiutvikling. Etikk i praksis. vol. 2 (2).
- (2008) God nanoetikk – god nanoteknologiutvikling. Etikk i praksis. vol. 1.
- (2007) Sciene and Technology in Society. Studies in Applied Ethics.
- (2009) Coproduction as a normative posture. Studied in the context of genomics. VDM Verlag Dr. Müller Aktiengesellschaft & Co. KG. 2009. ISBN 978-3-639-18349-8.
- (2007) Vitenskapelige revolusjoners struktur. 2007. ISBN 9788252567052.
- (2006) Juks, uredelighet og god forskning. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2006. ISBN 978-82-519-2140-4.
- (2006) Juks,uredelighet og god forskning. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2006. ISBN 82-519-2140-6.
- (2002) I vitenskapens tid : introduksjon til vitenskapsfilosofi etter Thomas Kuhn. Spartacus. 2002. ISBN 82-430-0202-2.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Revitalizing nanoethics: Nanotechnology at the center of nanoethics. Handbook of Nanoethics.
- (2021) Specialist courses in research ethics: more important now then they used to be?. The Future of Doctoral Research. Challenges and Opportunities.
- (2019) Interessekonflikter i forskning: Om forskningens saksorienterte forpliktelse. Interessekonflikter i forskning.
- (2016) Kan man være bare litt uredelig? - Om mindre alvorlige brudd på god vitenskapelig praksis. Vitenskapelig (u)redelighet.
- (2013) Normative Crossover: The Ethos of Socio-technological Systems. Philosophy and Engineering: Reflections on Practice, Principles and Process.