Stig Arve Sæther
Background and activities
Stig Arve Sæther is a associate professor in sport science. His main research interests include; talent development, youth sport and sport psychology. Sæther has published close to 30 articles in international journals and three books. His largest research project is a longitudinal 10 year follow-up on a age-cohorte of youth national football players from 2005-2015. His latest book De norske fotballtalentene (2017) is based on this project. Sæther is head of the research group: Skill and Performance Development in Sport and School.
* Football and Talent
* Coaching in successfull talent development environments
* Describing and Developing the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Athlete
* The Female Athlete
* Football academies
* Road to the top
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2019) (editor) Idrettsvitenskap. Perspektiver og praksis. (Sport Science. Perspectives and practice) Universitetsforlaget: Oslo.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) De norske fotballtalentene. Hvem lykkes og hvorfor? (p. 137-148)(The talented Norwegian football players. Who succedd and why?) Universitetsforlaget: Oslo. ISBN: 9788215028033
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) (editor) Trenerroller. (Coaching roles) Fagbokforlaget: Bergen.
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES:
- Rye, A., Ransom, D., Littlewood, M. & Sæther, S.A. (2021) Performance and organizational stressors in the Junior-to-Transition in Football among elite and non-elite junior players. (Submitted)
- Sæther, S.A., Iversen, M., Talsnes, R. & Sandbakk, Ø. (2021) Comparison of high- and low-responders to a cross-country skiing talent transfer program: a coach’s perspective. (Submitted)
- Feddersen, N., Morris, R., Ronkainen, N., Sæther, S.A., Littlewood, M. & Richardson, D. (2021) A Qualitative Meta-Study of a Decade of the Holistic Ecological Approach to Talent Development. (Submitted)
- Sæther, S.A., Nygaard, A., Johansen, B.T. & Erikstad, M. (2021) Talentutvikling via toppidrettsgymnas - En kvalitativ studie av unge fotballspilleres opplevelse av å kombinere videregående skole og satsning på et fotballkarriere. (Submitted)
- Bergström, M. Solli, G.S. Sandbakk, Ø, & Sæther, S.A. (2021) Lost in space? How a successful female cross-country skier managed a dual career as a professional athlete and medical student: a case study. (Submitted)
- Bergström, M., Jong, M. & Sæther, S.A. (2021) Orienteering from cradle to grave – how a sport could offer lifelong participation (Submitted)
- Haukli, J.S., Larsen, C.H. & Sæther, S.A. (2021) The athlete talent development environment in the best ranked football academy in Norwegian football: The case of the U16 team in Stabæk football club (Submitted)
- Solhaug, M., Høigaard, R. & Sæther, S.A. (2021) The balancing act of combining school and football in the U16 to U19 transition in junior-elite football. (Submitted)
- Gangsø, K., Aspvik, N.P., Mehus, I., Høigaard, R. & Sæther, S.A. (2021) Talent Development Environments in Football—Comparing Top-Five and Bottom-Five Ranked Football Academies in Norway. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(3). 1321.
- Larsen, C.H., Storm, L., Sæther, S.A., Pyrdol, N. & Henriksen, K. (2020) A world class academy in professional football: The case of Ajax Amsterdam. Scandinavian Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2, 33-43.
- Fuhre, J. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Skill acquisition in a professional and non-professional U16 football team: the use of playing form versus training form. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 20, 3, 2030-2035.
- Nesse, M., Fusche Moe, V. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Unified approaches on Talent development in football. Differences and similarities among representatives from the football federation and professional football clubs. Cogent Social Sciences, 1, 6, 1-13.
- Flatgård, G., Larsen, C.H. & Sæther, S.A. (2020) Talent development environment in a professional football club in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2, 8-15.
- Øvretveit, K., Sæther , S.A., & Mehus , I. (2019) Mastery goals are associated with training effort in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 19, 4, 1294-1299.
- Johansen, B.T., Østrem, K., Sæther, S.A. & Erikstad, M. (2019) Relative age effect and perception of soccer specific skills among selected players in Norway. Current Issues in Sport Science, 4.
- Øvretveit, K., Sæther , S.A., & Mehus , I. (2018). Achievement goal profiles, and perceptions of motivational climate and physical ability in male Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners. ARCH BUDO, 14
- Sæther, S.A. (2018) Stress among Talents in a Football Academy. Sport Mont Journal, 16, 3, 3-8.
- Engan, C. & Sæther, S. A. (2018) Goal Orientations, Motivational Climate and Stress Perception in Elite Junior Football Players: A Comparison of Club Levels. Journal of Physical Education and Sport,1, 107-113.
- Sæther, S.A, Peterson, T. & Matin, W. (2017) The relative age effect, height and weight characteristics among lower and upper secondary school athletes in Norway and Sweden, Sports, 5, 4..
- Klund, F. & Sæther, S. A. (2017) Relationships Between Perfectionism, Training Load and Elite Junior Football Players’ Self-Assessed and Coach-Assessed Skills. The Sport Journal.
- Lagestad, Pål, Sæther, Stig Arve & Ulvik, Aleksander (2017) Differences in coaching feedback between coaches of junior elite soccer players and junior amateur soccer players. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 17,3, 2049-2058.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) Characteristics of Professional and Non-Professional Football Players – An Eight-Year Follow-Up of Three Age Cohorts. Montenegrin Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 2, 13-18.
- Sæther, Stig Arve, Aspvik, Nils Petter & Høigaard, Rune (2017) Norwegian football academy players – players’ characteristics, stress and coach-athlete relationship. The Open Sports Sciences Journal, 10, 141-150.
- Matin, Vazjwar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2017) Talented high school football players’ perception of talent identification criteria. Sport Mont Journal, 2, 3-7.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2017) Descriptive analysis of Objectively Assessed Physical activity among talented soccer players – a study of 3 Norwegian professional football clubs. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, 2, 1-5.
- Aalberg, Ruben R. & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) The Talent Development Environment in a Norwegian top-level football club. Sport Science Review, 3-4, 159-182.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2016) Norwegian junior football players - player´s perception of stress according to playing time. Sport Science Review, 1-2, 85-96.
- Nerland, Eirik & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) Norwegian football academy players – Players self-assessed competence, Perfectionism, Goal orientations and Motivational climate. Sport Mont Journal, 2, 7-11.
- Sæther Stig Arve & Mehus Ingar (2016) "You´re not born with talent" Talented girls´ and boys´ perception of their talents as football players. Sports, 4, 1, 1-8.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) Presence of the relative age effect and its effect on playing time among under-20 players in the Norwegian premier league Tippeligaen - a four year follow up. Montenegrin Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 1, 11-15
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Solberg, Harry Arne (2015) Talent Development in football: are young talents given time to blossom? Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal , Vol. 5 Iss: 5, pp.493 - 506
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) Selecting players for youth national teams - a question of birth month and reselection? Science & Sports, 30, 6, 314-320.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2014) Seasonal variation in objectively assessed physical activity among young Norwegian talented soccer players: A description of daily physical activity level. Journal of sports science & medicine, 13, 4, 964-968.
- Aspvik, Nils Petter, Mehus, Ingar, Sæther, Stig Arve & Tjønndal, Anne (2016) Instruerende og positiv feedback ledelse i fotball. En undersøkelse av norske mannlige fotballtreneres lederstil. idrottsforum.org
- Haulan, Christian & Sæther, Stig Arve (2015) Den viktige kamparenaen. En oppgave for toppklubbene eller aldersbestemte landslag. idrottsforum.org
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2014) Talent identification in Soccer. What do Coaches Look for? Idrottsforum.org
- Aalberg, Ruben R. & Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Trøndelag – verdens beste «skinasjon»? En undersøkelse av hvordan representanter fra regionen forstår sin egen suksess som dominerende skiidrettsregion i Norge. idrottsforum.org
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Høye ambisjoner og riktig studievalg - eneste vei til en fotballkarriere?, idrottsforum.org,
- Haulan, Christian & Sæther, Stig Arve (2011) Aldersbestemte fotballandslag i Norge. Dette kjennetegner de selekterte spillerne i 2009., Idrottsforum.org.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2010) Spilletid for talenter i norsk toppfotball. Status for tippeligaen 2009., Idrottsforum.org.
- Flatgård, G., Larsen, C. H. & Sæther, S.A. (2019) Talent development in a professional football club in Norway: The case of Ranheim football club. SVEBI conference, Stockholm 22.11.19
- Rye, A. & Sæther, S.A. (2019) Perception of stress in the transition from junior-elite to elite - a comparison of the elite and non-elite players. Football exchange conference, Liverpool John Moores University.
- Erikstad, M., Østrem, K., Sæther, S.A., Johansen, B.T. & Haugen. T. (2018) Talent identification in youth football: The prevalence og the relative age effect at grassroot, regional and national level. ECSS konferanse, Dublin July.
- Mehus, Ingar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2016) The importance of achievement goal orientation when learning a novel, and increasingly complexed, skill. ECSS konferanse, Vienna July.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Aspvik, Nils Petter (2014) Norwegian football academy players - assessing personal skills as a result of self-organized training. ECSS conference. Amsterdam 2014-07-02 - 2014-07-05.
- Mehus, Ingar & Sæther, Stig Arve (2014) Goal orientation, intrinsic motivation and exerted effort. ECSS conference. Amsterdam 2014-07-02 - 2014-07-05.
- Sæther, Stig Arve & Solberg, Harry Arne (2014) European football: The challenges of giving young players time and space. EURAM, Valencia, 3-7 June.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2013) Talent development in soccer: a question of top-level clubs budget and table position? ECSS konferanse. Barcelona. 2013-06-26 - 2013-06-30.
- Sæther, Stig Arve (2007) Soccer coaches understanding of talent in soccer. ISSA & ISHPES konferanse. ISSA & ISHPES; København. 2007-07-31 - 2007-08-05.,
Media (The ones in English)
- The science behind Norway’s Winter Games success, Your Morning, CTV, Canada, 21.02.18
- Too much practice can ruin the career of talented players, Sportmember.com, 28.08.17
- Young talented footballers overtrain, ScienceNordic 27.01.15
- How Norway Scores So Much Olympic Gold Gets. The Wall Street Journal, 08.02.15
- How do kids who excel in sports become real stars? ScienceNordic 29.09.14