Background and activities
Having earned his PhD in Chemical Engineering, he is currently employed as an Associate Professor within Particle Engineering and Hydrometallurgy. He is also employed as a Researcher at the Department of Water Management, TU Delft, Netherlands. He is currently the Centre Manager for the recently established Particle Engineering Research Centre and a member of the operative group for the Gemini Centre within hydrometallurgy - HYPROS.
My research team is located as part of the Environmental Engineering and Reactor Technology Research Group at Department of Chemical Engineering, NTNU, Norway. We exploit fundamentals of Chemical Engineering in two broad areas – particle engineering (Part-En) and hydrometallurgy (Hy-Met).
Part-En research area focuses on synthesis, characterization and functionalization of nanomaterials for fundamental understanding of growth mechanisms through experiments and molecular modelling. These nanomaterials are designed for applications in hydrological tracing, water management, drug delivery, biosensing, magnetic hyperthermia, MRI, biomedicine, enhanced oil recovery (EOR), drilling fluids, photocatalysis, etc.
Hy-Met research area focuses on hydrometallurgical methods such as leaching, precipitation, solvent extraction for recycling of lithium ion batteries (LIBs).
During 2018 - 2021, he worked as a Post Doctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Chemical Engineering, NTNU and Department of Water Management, TU Delft. He also worked as a Polymer Scientist in Jotun Antifouling for a short stint. Before joining Jotun in 2017, he was working as a Post Doctoral Researcher at TU Delft and UNESCO-IHE. He graduated with a B.E (Hons) in Chemical Engineering from Jadavpur University, India and was thereafter awarded the Erasmus Mundus Fellowship to do his MSc in Chemical Engineering at NTNU, Norway.
Recipient of JBNSTS 2006, DAAD 2009, his research interests include synthesis, characterization and functionalization of nanoparticles, development of nanoparticle based hydrological tracers, drug delivery and modelling of nanosystems, recycling of Lithium-ion batteries.
Most recently, our work with magnetic nanoparticles and COVID-19 test kits has been instrumental in re-opening Norwegian society. More info about the project.
2012 - 2016 PhD in Chemical Engineering, NTNU, Norway
2010 - 2012 MSc in Chemical Engineering, NTNU, Norway
2006 - 2010 B.E (Hons.) in Chemical Engineering, Jadavpur University, India
- Katharina Zurbes (NTNU)
- Zeeshan Ali (NTNU)
- Nesrine Bali (NTNU)
- Marte Kee Arntsen (NTNU)
- Jai Kishan Rajak (NTNU)
- Bhaskar Joshi (NTNU)
- Karthik Raghunathan (NTNU)
- Anuvansh Sharma (NTNU)
- Jibin Antony (NTNU)
- Erlend Ravlo (NTNU)
- Muhammad Awais Ashfaq Alvi (UiS, Norway)
- Faruk Ibrahim Yakasai (UTM, Malaysia)
- Rafat Riyadh Noormohammed Abdul-Razzak (UTM, Malaysia)
- Radhika Gautam Gunaji (UTM, Malaysia)
- Al-Jaber Hasanain Ali Jabber (UTM, Malaysia)
KP 3150 Introduction to Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer (Spring Semester) 2021 - Present (Course Co-ordinator)
TKP 4100 Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer (Spring Semester) 2019 - Present (Lecturer)
TKP 4190 Fabrication and Application of Nanomaterials (Spring Semester) 2013 - Present (Lecturer)
TKP 4535 Environmental Engineering and Reactor Technology, Specialization Course (Fall Semester) 2019 - Present (Lecturer)
Operative Leader Group Member of HYPROS Gemini Centre (2018 - Present)
Member of MSCHEMENG Programme Board ( 2018 - Present)
Member of Admission Committee for International MSc Students at the Dept. of Chemical Engineering, NTNU (2012 - Present)
Awards and Scholarships:
Innovator of the year Award for 2020 at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, NTNU.
Best PhD thesis for 2016/2017 at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, NTNU.
NorFab Project Support for work in NTNU Nanolab (2017-2019)
Norges tekniske høgskoles fond for Summer School at iNano PhD School, Århus University (June 2013)
NorFab Small Project Support for work in NTNU Nanolab (2013-2014)
Erasmus Mundus Fellowship (2010-2012) for Masters at NTNU, Norway
DAAD summer internship fellowship (WISE - INTERNSHIPS in SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY and ENGINEERING) for 2009 summer.
First prize in a Poster Competition, held at the Chemical Engineering Department, NTNU, Norway,(22nd November,2010), poster being entitled “Process Design and Economic Investigation of LPG Production from Natural Gas Liquids (NGL)”
Dr. Hiralal Roy Smriti Padak (Silver Medal) for securing the highest marks in the fourth year Bachelor of Chemical Engineering Second Semester Examination in the subject “General Knowledge in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering” Viva-voce Examination, 2010.
First prize in a Poster Competition, held at the Chemical Engineering Department, Jadavpur University, Kolkata (16th January,2010), poster being entitled “Electrodeposition of Aluminium from Organic Solvents in AAO Membranes”
Medha Samman Award for Best Project for the year 2008, project being entitled “Synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery” at the Jagadish Bose Forum, Kolkata..
Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) Senior scholarship, 2006-07.
Medhavi Chatra Puraskar, 2004, for outstanding performance in I.C.S.E from the Governor of West Bengal.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) From "research" to "research for a better world" - lessons learned. the case of the NTNU Corona test. NV Faculty Day 2021 . Faculty of Natural Sciences, NTNU; Trondheim. 2021-01-07 - 2021-01-07.
- (2021) Research pursuits during undergraduate study: Possibilities and Incentives. Induction Programme for 2020 Freshers . Department of Chemical Engineering, Jadavpur University; Kolkata. 2021-01-11 - 2021-01-11.
- (2021) New insights into controlling the twin structure of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles. Applied Materials Today. vol. 24.
- (2021) Magnetic Nanoparticles to Unique DNA Tracers: Effect of Functionalization on Physico‑chemical Properties. Nanoscale Research Letters.
- (2020) Investigating Synergistic Effects of Surfactants and Nanoparticles (NPs) on Emulsion Viscosity. Asian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences. vol. 1 (1).
- (2020) Effect of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles on the Properties of Water-Based Drilling Fluids. Energies. vol. 13 (24).
- (2020) Effect of Hydrophobic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles on the Properties of Oil Based Drilling Fluid. ASME 2020 39th International Conference on Ocean ; 2020-08-03 - 2020-08-07.
- (2020) Effect of Hydrophobic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles on the Properties of Oil-Based Drilling Fluid. Journal of energy resources technology. vol. 143 (4).
- (2020) 150 000 kan testes ukentlig med NTNU-metoden. Gemini [Internett]. 2020-04-07.
- (2020) Application of hydrometallurgy in metal recycling from spent batteries. Introduction to Hydrometallurgy: Course . NTNU and EIT Raw Materials, HydroMetEC; 2020-09-08 - 2020-09-10.
- (2020) COVID-19 Diagnostic Test: From Small Scale to Production in a Few Weeks to Meet the Pandemic. INASCON 2020 ; 2020-08-11 - 2020-08-13.
- (2020) COVID-19 Diagnostic Test: University Establishing Production to Meet the Pandemic. Norwegian Chemical Society (NKS) Trondheim Lecture Series . Norwegian Chemical Society (NKS) Trondheim; 2020-09-24 - 2020-09-24.
- (2020) Can Artificial Sand and Nature’s Messenger Help in Water Management?. Norwegian Chemical Society (NKS) Trondheim Lecture Series . Norwegian Chemical Society (NKS); Trondheim. 2020-03-10 - 2020-03-10.
- (2020) Coronatest: Her reddes Norges testkapasitet. Dagbladet [Avis]. 2020-04-24.
- (2020) Design Car Batteries so that they can be Recycled. TEDx Trondheim - Leading Lights . TEDx Trondheim; Trondheim. 2020-11-15 - 2020-11-15.
- (2020) Designer spesialutstyr i kampen mot koronaviruset. Teknisk Ukeblad [Fagblad]. 2020-07-11.
- (2020) Designer spesialutstyr i kampen mot koronaviruset. Gemini [Internett]. 2020-07-01.
- (2020) Det vi har fått til på tre uker, tar vanligvis flere år. Adressa Website [Avis]. 2020-09-24.
- (2020) Development of NTNU Corona Test: The Story behind Collaboration. . International Lecture Series . SVKM’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy; 2020-11-09 - 2020-11-09.
- (2020) From thousands of tiny magnetic balls to 150,000 COVID-19 tests per week. Norwegian SciTech News [Internett]. 2020-04-07.
- (2020) Interview on NRK regarding production of Corona-tests. NRK Website [TV]. 2020-09-24.
- (2020) Lagde 100 enheter i forskningslab – fikk bestilling på 5,2 millioner testsett for koronavirus. Teknisk Ukeblad [Fagblad]. 2020-06-04.
- (2020) Lithium Battery Recycling in Norway-Current State and Outlook. International Seminar in Hydrometallurgy ; 2020-11-05 - 2020-11-06.
- (2020) NTNU COVID-19 Diagnostic Test. TEKNA Labdrift 2020 . Tekna; 2020-12-01 - 2020-12-01.
- (2020) NTNU COVID-19 Diagnostic Test: An Interdisciplinary Solution. Seminar on COVID 19 Management . NTNU Alumni India and Bhutan; 2020-11-21 - 2020-11-21.
- (2020) NTNU Corona Test. Tekna Teknologidagen 2020 . Tekna; 2020-10-29 - 2020-10-29.
- (2020) NTNU etablerte fabrikk for å lage koronatester. Gemini [Internett]. 2020-04-25.
- (2020) NTNU har solgt en million koronatester til India og Danmark. NRK Website [Internett]. 2020-09-24.
- (2020) NTNU-forskere har laget ny testmetode for koronaviruset. https://www.universitetsavisa.no/forskning-koronavirus/ntnu- [Avis]. 2020-03-30.
- (2020) NTNU-metode er avgjørende: Nå kan så å si alle koronatestes. NRK Website [Internett]. 2020-04-24.
- (2020) NTNUs covid-19-test eksporteres til India og Danmark. Gemini [Internett]. 2020-09-24.
- (2020) NTNU’s new COVID-19 test to be used in India and Denmark. Norwegian SciTech News [Internett]. 2020-09-24.
- (2020) NUCLEATION AND GROWTH OF PARTICLES-LOOKING INTO CRYSTALLIZATION. Invited Lecture . Chemical Engineering Department, CIT Uluberia, Howrah; 2020-06-05 - 2020-06-05.
- (2020) Ny koronatest utviklet på rekordtid i Trondheim. Gemini [Internett]. 2020-04-01.
- (2020) Polymeric Nanomaterials – An Overview. Short Course . University of Bucharest; 2020-09-28 - 2020-09-30.
- (2020) Recycling of Lithium Ion Car Batteries in Norway. NTNU Team Battery Seminar ; 2020-09-10 - 2020-09-10.
- (2020) Samfunnets viktigste beredskapslager. Dagens Naeringsliv [Avis]. 2020-07-13.
- (2020) Storstilt dugnad sikret Norge nok korona-tester: Da universitetet måtte starte fabrikk. Forskning.no [Internett]. 2020-07-26.
- (2020) Tailoring at the Nano-scale for Advanced Biomedical Applications. The 4th International Conference On Materials and Metallurgical Engineering and Technology ; Surabaya. 2020-10-19 - 2020-10-19.
- (2020) COVID-19 Diagnostic: From Small Scale to Production in a Few Weeks. NBS-nytt 2-2020 [Tidsskrift]. 2020-06-01.
- (2020) COVID-19 Diagnostic: From Small Scale to Production in a Few Weeks. NKS Kjemi [Tidsskrift]. 2020-06-01.
- (2020) Controlled synthesis, surface functionalization and coating of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles (IONPs) with NIPAM-based hydrogels for potential applications in advanced pharmaceutics. INASCON 2020 ; 2020-08-11 - 2020-08-13.
- (2020) Production and characterization of biopolymer schizophyllan using sago starch as a carbon source. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 1529 (052063).
- (2020) Tuning and tracking the growth of gold nanoparticles synthesized using binary surfactant mixtures. Nanoscale Advances. vol. 2 (5).
- (2020) Current developments and future outlook in nanofluid flooding: A comprehensive review of various parameters influencing oil recovery mechanisms. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. vol. 93.
- (2019) 2 Day Course on Fabrication and Application of Nanomaterials - Particle Design Towards Oil Based Applications. Short Course . UTM- MPRC Institute of Oil and Gas; 2019-11-11 - 2019-11-12.
- (2019) Controlling Growth of Anisotropic Gold Nanoparticles (Au NPs) using Binary Surfactant Mixtures. CompFlu 2019 . IISER, Bhopal; Bhopal. 2019-12-05 - 2019-12-07.
- (2019) Fabrication and Application of Nanomaterials. McGraw-Hill. 2019. ISBN 9781260132236.
- (2019) Fabrication and Application of Nanomaterials: Solution-based Synthesis. Lecture Series . Research Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ITB; Bandung. 2019-11-08 - 2019-11-08.
- (2019) Lithium Ion Battery Recycling in Norway. 5th Hydrometallurgy Seminar ; 2019-03-21 - 2019-03-22.
- (2019) Lithium can now be recycled. Gemini (English edition).
- (2019) Multifunctional Nanomaterials – at the interface of polymers and colloids. Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT - Madras ; 2019-01-23 - 2019-01-23.
- (2019) Nå skal litium også resirkuleres. Teknisk Ukeblad.
- (2019) Recycling of lithium battery. INTERNATIONAL PROCESS METALLURGY SYMPOSIUM - Metallurgy as a tool for challenges in circular economy . Aalto University; Helsinki. 2019-11-05 - 2019-11-06.
- (2019) Short Course on Solution Based Fabrication of Nanomaterials. Short Course . Material Engineering Department, ITS; 2019-11-07 - 2019-11-07.
- (2019) Short Course on Synthesis, Functionalization and Characterization of Nanomaterials for Biomedical and Environmental Applications. Short Course ; Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). 2019-03-10 - 2019-03-10.
- (2019) Tailoring Magnetic Nanoparticles for Biomedicine and Environmental Applications. Guest Lecture . Material Engineering Department, ITS; 2019-11-07 - 2019-11-07.
- (2019) The development and application of DNA-encapsulated nanoparticle tracers in hydrological studies. AGU Fall Meeting 2019 ; San Fancisco. 2019-12-09 - 2019-12-13.
- (2019) Growth of Gold Nanoparticles - Study on the effect of co-surfactant. Norwegian NanoSymposium 2019 . NTNU - Nanolab; Trondheim. 2019-10-16 - 2019-10-17.
- (2019) Functionalization of Magnetic Nanoparticles with DNA for Water Management. Norwegian NanoSymposium 2019 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2019-10-16 - 2019-10-17.
- (2019) Functionalization of Magnetic Nanoparticles with DNA for Water Management. 33rd Conference of the European Colloid and Interface Society (ECIS) ; Leuven. 2019-09-08 - 2019-09-13.
- (2018) Mapping the volume phase properties of multiresponsive nanogels. NKS Makro Symposium for Young Researchers: Polymers & Soft Matter ; 2018-02-14 - 2018-02-15.
- (2018) Multifunctional Nanomaterials – at the junction of polymer science and colloid chemistry. Det 21. Landsmøte i kjemi ; 2018-10-16 - 2018-10-18.
- (2018) Growing gold nanostructures for shape-selective cellular uptake. Nanoscale Research Letters. vol. 13:254.
- (2018) Synthesis, characterization and drug loading of multiresponsive p[NIPAm-co-PEGMA] (core)/p[NIPAm-co-AAc] (Shell) nanogels with monodisperse size distributions. Polymers. vol. 10:309 (3).
- (2018) FunNano – Functional Nanomaterials for Diverse Applications. Det 21. Landsmøte i kjemi . Norsk Kjemisk Selskap; 2018-10-16 - 2018-10-18.
- (2017) Understanding seed mediated growth and growth kinetics of anisotropic gold nanostructures. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2017 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2017-12-06 - 2017-12-07.
- (2017) WaterTagging: DNA based particles for Water Management. Indo-Norwegian Collaboration Project Workshop . Department of Chemical Engineering, Jadavpur University; Kolkata. 2017-12-08 - 2017-12-09.
- (2017) Influence of polymer coating on release of L-dopa from core-shell Fe@Au nanoparticle systems. Colloid and Polymer Science. vol. 295 (2).
- (2017) A robust method to calculate the volume phase transition temperature (VPTT) for hydrogels and hybrids. RSC Advances. vol. 7 (84).
- (2017) The Influence of Differently Shaped Gold Nanoparticles Functionalized with NIPAM-Based Hydrogels on the Release of Cytochrome C. Gels. vol. 3 (4).
- (2017) Shape tunable synthesis of anisotropic gold nanostructures through binary surfactant mixtures. Materials Today Chemistry. vol. 3.
- (2017) DNA-tagged Microparticles for Tracing Water Flows and Travel Times in Natural Systems: The First results from Controlled Laboratory Experiments. AGU Fall Meeting ; New Orleans. 2017-12-11 - 2017-12-15.
- (2017) Modulating the temperature and pH sensitivities of NIPAM based nanogels for environmental applications. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2017 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2017-12-06 - 2017-12-07.
- (2017) Design of DNA based nanoparticles for water management. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2017 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2017-12-06 - 2017-12-07.
- (2017) Synthesis of NIPAm nanogels and L-tartaric acid based zwitterionic amphiphiles. Organisk kjemisk Vintermøte OKV32 . Norsk Kjemisk Selskap - Faggruppe for organisk kjemi; Skeikampen. 2017-01-12 - 2017-01-15.
- (2017) Synthesis of gadolinium oxide nanodisks and gadolinium doped iron oxide nanoparticles for MR contrast agents. Journal of materials chemistry. B. vol. 5 (3).
- (2016) Incorporation of Fe@Au nanoparticles into multiresponsive pNIPAM-AAc colloidal gels modulates drug uptake and release. Colloid and Polymer Science. vol. 294 (12).
- (2016) Gold nanostructures for biomedical applications. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2016 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2016-11-17 - 2016-11-18.
- (2016) Tailoring nanoparticle (NP) properties for Drug Release. NTNU Nanolab Seminar Series . NTNU Nanolab and Timini; 2016-04-15 - 2016-04-15.
- (2016) Controlling the Release of Cyt C and L- Dopa from pNIPAM-AAc Nanogel Based Systems. ICNB 2016 : 18th International Conference on Nanotechnology and Biotechnology . World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology; Melbourne. 2016-02-04 - 2016-02-05.
- (2016) Smart and Multifunctional Core-Shell Nanoparticles (NPs) for Drug Delivery . 2016.
- (2016) L-DOPA-Coated Manganese Oxide Nanoparticles as Dual MRI Contrast Agents and Drug-Delivery Vehicles. Small. vol. 12 (3).
- (2016) Colorimetric assay for detecting ESX-3 secretion system disruption in mycobacteria. EMBO Conference Tuberculosis 2016: Interdisciplinary research on tuberculosis and pathogenic mycobacteria . Institut Pasteur; Paris. 2016-09-19 - 2016-09-23.
- (2016) Tracking the Growth of Anisotropic Gold Nanostructures. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2016 . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2016-11-17 - 2016-11-18.
- (2015) Controlled Release from Nanoparticles (NPs) for Theranostic Applications. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2015 ; 2015-11-11 - 2015-11-11.
- (2015) Controlled Release from Nanoparticles (NPs) for Theranostic applications. INASCON 2015 . INASCON; University of Basel. 2015-08-11 - 2015-08-14.
- (2015) Different shaped Au nanostructures for biomedical applications. INASCON 2015 Oral Presentation . INASCON; University of Basel. 2015-08-11 - 2015-08-14.
- (2015) Tailoring the properties of pNIPAM-AAc nanogels with Fe@Au nanoparticles for drug delivery applications. Oral Presentation: Nano@NTNU Symposium 2015 ; 2015-11-11.
- (2015) Role of Physicochemical and Interfacial Properties on the Binary Coalescence of Crude Oil Drops in Synthetic Produced Water. Energy & Fuels. vol. 29 (2).
- (2015) Controlling the self-assembly and optical properties of gold nanoclusters and gold nanoparticles biomineralized with bovine serum albumin. RSC Advances. vol. 5 (122).
- (2015) L-DOPA-coated manganese oxide nanoparticles as dual MRI contrast agents and potential drug delivery vehicles. Nordic Neuroscience 2015 . Scandinavian Physiological Society; Trondheim. 2015-06-10 - 2015-06-12.
- (2015) Modelling the Swelling-Collapse Behaviour of Nano Systems Showing Phase Transition. Nano@NTNU Symposium 2015 ; 2015-11-11.
- (2014) Ultrasound-assisted transport of nanoparticles across the blood-brain barrier and nanoparticle-mediated silencing of efflux transporters. National Biophysics Conference ; Oslo. 2014-03-06 - 2014-03-07.
- (2014) Nanoparticle uptake and nanoparticle-mediated silencing of efflux transporters in the blood brain barrier. National PhD conference in medical imaging. ; Bergen. 2014-06-17 - 2014-06-18.
- (2014) Forsker Grand Prix – Targeting Drugs Through the Post.
- (2014) Targeting Drugs. Forsker Grand Prix 2014, Trondheim . NTNU and Forskningsdagene; Byscenen, Trondheim. 2014-09-25 - 2014-09-25.
- (2014) Nanogels in targeted drug delivery and hyperthermia treatment. NTNU NanoLab 10 Year Anniversary . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2014-11-10 - 2014-11-11.
- (2014) Synthesis and in vitro cellular interactions of superparamagnetic iron nanoparticles with a crystalline gold shell. Applied Surface Science. vol. 316 (1).
- (2014) Functional Nanomaterials for Theranostic Applications. NTNU NanoLab 10 Year Anniversary . NTNU NanoLab; Trondheim. 2014-11-10 - 2014-11-11.
- (2014) Synthesis of Au nanowires with controlled morphological and structural characteristics. Applied Surface Science. vol. 311.
- (2013) Multifunctional nanoparticles (NPs) for bioimaging. 5th Norwegian PhD Conference in Medical Imaging . Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging; Tromsø. 2013-10-02 - 2013-10-03.
- (2013) Core Shell Nano-particles (NPs) for Stimuli responsive Targeted Drug delivery. Myfab and NorFab User Meeting 2013 ; 2013-04-17 - 2013-04-18.
- (2013) Shape and Size Controlled Synthesis of Metal Nanostructures. 8th Nanolab usermeeting . NTNU Nanolab; Trondheim. 2013-11-12 - 2013-11-12.
- (2012) Biodegradable Nano-Clusters as drug delivery vehicles. The Future of Drug Delivery Vectors. Lambert Academic Publishing. 2012. ISBN 978-3-659-19302-6.
- (2012) Application of Design of Experiment on Synthesis of Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Particle by Modified Solution Combustion. Advanced Science Letters. vol. 5.
- (2012) Core Shell Nano-particles for Stimuli responsive Targeted Drug delivery. 7th NTNU Nanolab Meeting ; 2012-12-12 - 2012-12-12.
- (2012) The mutual influence of brine and crude oil composition on interfacial properties of crude oil/brine systems. 26th Conference of the European Colloid and Interface Society (ECIS2012) ; Lund. 2012-09-02 - 2012-09-07.