Background and activities
Main domains of research and supervision:
- Social psychological factors and transportation mode use
- Risk and safety psychology with a particular focus on transport safety
- Substance use and misuse in subgroups, specifically among patients with substance use disorders (SUD) and young adults in the general population
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
Background and research profile:
Full Professor in Social Psychology, Department of Psychology, NTNU (2017 - ).
20% research position at St.Olavs Hospital, Clinic of Substance Use and Addiction Medicine (2017 - ).
20% Senior research position at NTNU Social Research/Samfunnsforskning (Studio Apertura). NFR funded position by the TRANSIKK Research Programme. (2013 - 2016).
Senior Researcher at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health (Sirus/FHI), Department of Drugs and Addiction (2013 - 2016).
Two doctoral degrees in psychology. PhD June 2011 thesis entitled: "Patients with Substance Use Disorders: An investigation of Relapse, Substance Use and Recovery", Dr. philos September 2011 thesis entitled: "Risk judgements, attitudes and behaviour in transport: Temporal, geographical and cultural differences".
Elected lifetime member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters Academy (DKNVS) 2020 -
Frequently invited reviewer for top international journals and other committees related to fields of expertise.
Awarded the scientific prize for young excellent researchers in the social sciences who have documented outstanding talent, originality and effort, and who have achieved extremely good results in their fields. Awarded by the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters Academy (DKNVS) (2018)
Awarded the scientific prize from the Regional Health Care Enterprise (Helse Midt-Norge RHF) for excellent research among highly prioritized patient groups (2011).
Head of the Research Group on Transportation at the Department of Psychology, NTNU: https://www.ntnu.edu/psychology/transportation
Member of the Citizens, Environment and Safety group at the Department of Psychology, NTNU: https://www.ntnu.edu/psychology/ces
Head coordinator of the Introduction and Bachelor programmes at the Department of Psychology, NTNU (2017 - 2021).
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=D4hC7rAAAAAJ&hl=no
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A home-based approach to understanding the effect of spatial autocorrelation on seat belt non-use. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour.
- (2021) The importance of interdisciplinarity in accommodating patient needs among Norwegian nurses. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing.
- (2020) Emerging adults in inpatient substance use treatment: A prospective cohort study of patient characteristics and treatment outcomes. European Addiction Research.
- (2020) Factors associated with quality of life trajectories among inpatients treated for alcohol use disorders: A prospective cohort study . Addictive Behaviors Reports. vol. 12.
- (2020) The association between lifestyle and aberrant driving behavior among Iranian car drivers. Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives (TRIP). vol. 8.
- (2020) Substance use disorder patients’ expectations on transition from treatment to post-discharge period. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. vol. 37 (3).
- (2020) Predictors of Public Transport Use among University Students during the Winter: A MIMIC Modelling Approach. Travel Behaviour & Society. vol. 22.
- (2020) Structural Equation Modelling of potential risk factors for pedestrian accidents in rural and urban roads. International Journal of Injury Control and Safety Promotion.
- (2020) Barriers to children’s walking to school in Iranian and Chinese samples. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. vol. 73.
- (2020) Active travel as a pro-environmental behaviour: An integrated framework. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. vol. 84.
- (2020) If I know when you will arrive, I will let you walk to school: The role of information technology . Journal of Safety Research. vol. 72.
- (2019) The role of transport priorities, transport attitudes and situational factors for sustainable transport mode use in wintertime. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. vol. 62.
- (2019) The Correlation Between Education, Engineering, Enforcement, and Self-Reported Seat Belt Use in Tennessee: Incorporating Heterogeneity and Time of Day Effects. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. vol. 66.
- (2019) Change in psychosocial factors connected to coping after inpatient treatment for substance use disorder: A systematic review. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy. vol. 14 (16).
- (2019) Psychosocial factors associated with coping behaviour after inpatient treatment for substance use disorder (SUD): A systematic review study protocol. BMJ Open. vol. 9:e022673.
- (2019) Environmental norms and sustainable transport mode choice on children’s school travels: The norm-activation theory. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. vol. 14 (2).
- (2019) Driver behaviour and crash involvement among professional taxi and truck drivers: Light passenger cars versus heavy goods vehicles. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. vol. 62.
- (2019) Mono- and multimodal green transport use on university trips during winter and summer: hybrid choice models on the norm-activation theory. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. vol. 130.
- (2019) “Winter is coming”: Psychological and situational factors affecting transportation mode use among university students. Transport Policy. vol. 81.
- (2019) The role of social cognition in perceived thresholds for transport mode change. Transport Policy. vol. 83.