Background and activities
Research areas: Transformation of work and organizations, sociology of emotions and emotional labour, gender, risk and safety, regulation, power and resistance, the Norwegian/Nordic model of woking life and welfare, sociology of fiance, a variety of methods including narrative analysis and memory work.
I hold a position as Professor of Sociology at the Department of Sociology and Political Science at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. Communication across disciplines, languages and cultures has been important in my choice of studies in the humanities and social sciences, and positions in research organizations and academia. I have received over 20 research grants with sole or joint responsibility. I have published in journals such as Evaluation Studies, Gender,Work and Organization, Ingenere, Kvinneforskning, Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift, Safety Science, Safety Science Monitor, Scandinavian Journal of Management, Tidsskrift for Arbejdsliv, Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening og Travailler. Among my publications are Paradoxes of Power: Dialogue as a Regulatory Strategy in the Norwegian Oil and Gas Industry (2021) with Ragnar Rosness, Safety Science (forthcoming), “Smile away”: Endringer i emosjonelt arbeid blant kabinansatte (2021) Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift, 5(1), 8-22, Il paradosso norvegese non esiste (2019), InGenere, 3/10, Brave new world? The global financial crisis’ impact on Scandinavian banking’s sales rhetoric and practices” (2015) with Emil A. Røyrvik and Stewart R. Clegg, and ”Boxing and dancing: Tripartite collaboration as an integral part of a regulation regime” with Ragnar Rosness in Risk Governance of Offshore Oil and Gas Operations (Lindøe, Baram and Renn, eds. 2014). I am co-editor of “Arbeid for livet” (2002) with Bente Rasmussen and Den norske modellen – Internasjonalisering som utfordring og vitalisering (2015) with Brita Bungum and Elin Kvande.
I was a visiting professor at the Dipartimento di Sociologia e Ricerca Sociale, Università di Trento, Italia, 2017-2018, during which I had the opportunity to add Italian as my sixth laguage.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) “Smile away”: Endringer i emosjonelt arbeid blant kabinansatte. Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift. vol. 5 (1).
- (2021) Paradoxes of power: Dialogue as a regulatory strategy in the Norwegian oil and gas industry. Safety Science. vol. 139.
- (2019) Reactivity and Resistance to Evaluation Devices. Valuation Studies. vol. 6 (1).
- (2018) Fremmed i NAV : arbeidslinja i praksis. Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift. vol. 2 (4).
- (2015) Brave New World? The global financial crisis’ impact on Scandinavian banking’s sales rhetoric and practices. Scandinavian Journal of Management. vol. 31 (4).
- (2013) Operational Managers Build Safety by Creating Favourable Environmental Conditions for Safety Work. Safety Science Monitor. vol. 17 (1).
- (2012) Environmental conditions for safety work - Theoretical foundations. Safety Science. vol. 50 (10).
- (2009) Salg, salg, salg - over hele linja! Mandag hele året? om mestringsstrategier og arbeidsstiler i salg av forsikringer. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 17 (3).
- (2005) Gender Matters? Exploring How Gender is Negotiated in Service Encounters. Gender, Work & Organization. vol. 12 (5).
- (2000) Betydningen av kunnskap om arbeidsgruppers kultur for å oppnå vellykkede tiltak for å forbedre arbeid og helse. Nordisk Psykologi: teori, forskning, praksis. vol. 52 (3).
- (2015) Den norske modellen: Internasjonalisering som utfordring og vitalisering. Fagbokforlaget. 2015. ISBN 978-82-450-1780-9.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Dialogue in asymmetrical power relations - Modern safety regulation?. Prevention of Accidents at Work: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on the Prevention of Accidents at Work (WOS 2017), October 3-6, 2017, Prague, Czech Republic.
- (2017) Performance-based regulation of HSE and the role of regulatory guidance. Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice : Proceedings of ESREL 2016 (Glasgow, Scotland, 25-29 September 2016).
- (2017) Trapped by compliance? The voices of the regulator. Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice : Proceedings of ESREL 2016 (Glasgow, Scotland, 25-29 September 2016).
- (2015) Internasjonalisering og den norske modellen. Den norske modellen: Internasjonalisering som utfordring og vitalisering.
- (2015) Trepartssamarbeid i aksjon - kontrovers, konsensus og utfordringer i petroleumsvirksomheten. Den norske modellen: Internasjonalisering som utfordring og vitalisering.
- (2015) Det norske verneombudet i et globalt arbeidsliv. Den norske modellen: Internasjonalisering som utfordring og vitalisering.
- (2014) Boxing and Dancing Tripartite Collaboration as an Integral Part of a Regulatory Regime. Risk governance of offshore oil and gas operations.
- (2012) The impact of framework conditions on HSE in subcontracting/outsourcing. Advances in Safety, Reliability and Risk Management - proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2011.
- (2008) Safety representative and managers: Partners in health and safety?. ESREL 2008 proceedings: Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications.