Course - International organisation and management - AL510311
AL510311 - International organisation and management
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2021/2022
- Political, economic, legal and technological environments
- Social responsibility and global management ethics
- The effect of culture on management and organization
- The effect of culture on communication, negotiations, and decision-making
- Design a company's organisation and HR strategies
- Global alliances and strategy implementation
- Organisation structure and control systems
- Recruiting, training, and compensation in relation to global enterprises
- Global teamwork, expatriation and repatriation
- Motivation and exchange in a cross-cultural/international context
Knowledge: Should understand the importance of the cultural context of international business in the management of international corporations and have basic knowledge of theories and models in international management. General competence: Be able to use the knowledge and competence obtained in the course in a global business and international management environment to formulate and implement strategies for international and global operations. Skills: Understand the complexity and challenges of organising international enterprises, be able to demonstrate competence within the area of international management and understand the role different national cultures have on communication, negotiation and decision-making.
Learning methods and activities
Teaching methods: Lectures, guest lectures, cases and class discussions and presentations
Further on evaluation
Students are entitled to re-sit only the part of the examination in which they have had legitimate reasons for an absence or have failed. A re-sit examination will take place only during the designated period for re-sit examinations. Later exams will require that both exam elements must be repeated.
The 4 hour individual written exam will comprise 80% of the final grade, and the oral exam will constitute 20% of the final grade.
Recommended previous knowledge
As for the study programme.
Required previous knowledge
This course is only available to students who have been admitted to the following programmes: - Master in International Business and Marketing, at Department of International Business (NTNU Aalesund) - Master in Business Administration, at Trondheim Business School (NTNU Trondheim) - Master in Financial Economics, and Master in Economics, at Department of Economics (NTNU Trondheim) - Master in Entrepreneurship, and Master in Industrial Economics and Technology Management, at Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (NTNU Trondheim)
- Deresky, H. (2017). International management: Managing across borders and cultures (9th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Bartlett, C. A., & Beamish, P. W. (2018). Transnational management: Text and cases in cross-border management. Cambridge University Press.
- Gooderham et al. (2019): Global Strategy and Management: Theory and Practice. Edward Elgar Publications.
- Gooderham et al. (2013): International Management: Theory and Practice. Edward Elgar Publications.
- Selected articles
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Language of instruction: English
- Economics and Administration
Department with academic responsibility
Department of International Business
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"