Course - Terrestrial Laser Scanning - GEOM2210
GEOM2210 - Terrestrial Laser Scanning
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
- Different types of terrestrial laser scanners (TLS)
- Instruments' components and mode of operation
- Data acquisition with TLS instruments
- Handling point clouds
- Point cloud registration
- Georeferencing of point clouds
- General feature extraction and basic 3D modeling from point clouds
- Commonly used data formats
- Reporting and documentation of fieldwork and post-processing
By the end of the semester students will gain the following knowledge:
- Fundamentals of the scanning mechanism of the latest TLS instruments
- Different georeferencing methods
- The relevant industry standards
- Statistical methods for quality analysis of an acquired dataset
By the end of the semester students will gain the following skills:
- Setting up, operating and calibrating TLS instruments
- Matching overlapping scanned datasets (registration and georeferencing)
- Basics of feature extraction and 3D modeling
- Detection of systematic and gross error in the dataset; statistical analysis and tests against given criteria
- Hazard assessment of using TLS instruments
Learning methods and activities
- Project work
- Mandatory assignments
Further on evaluation
The evaluation is based on the quality of a project report, with a specific focus on the students ability to present and explain the method used for his/her project, including explaining the theoretical underpinnings. A detailed description of the requirements for choosing a project will be given at the start of the course. A project description must be approved by the instructor before work gets underway.
In case of failure of the project, the subject must be repeated.
Limited admission to classes.
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Recommended previous knowledge
GEOM1110 - Introduction to engineering geomatics
- Topographic Laser Ranging and Scanning, Principles and Processing, Seconf Edition, Edited by Jie Shan and Charles K. Toth, 2018, ISBN: 978-1-4987-7227-3
- Instrument and software manuals (regularly updated on the relevant website or in help menu)
Material in Norwegian (non-Norwegian-speaking students will get help in translation from the instructor):
- Skogseth, T. (2014). Grunnleggende landmåling. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget (ISBN: 978-82-05-44934-3). (in Norwegian)
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"