Course - Mathematical methods 3 - IMAA2100
IMAA2100 - Mathematical methods 3
Limits and continuity. Directional derivative and the gradient. Tangent planes and tangent lines. Linear approximation and differentiability. The chain rule. Parametric curves in the plane and in space. Curvature and torsion.
Double integrals and iterated integration using cartesian and polar coordinates. Triple integrals and iterated integration using cartesian, cylinder- and spherical coordinates. Integration on curves and surfaces in space, curve length, surface area, volume and centroids.
Static vector fields. Divergence,curl, gradient fields and potentials. Conservative and curl free vector fields. Work/circulation and flux. Green theorem, Stokes' theorem and Gauss' Theorem. Applications of vector analysis in fluid mechanics and/or electro-magnetism (Maxwell's equations).
The candidate knows concepts, theorem, and methods from calculus in several variables related to differentiation, integration, and vector analysis for static vector fields.
The candidate can
- use mathematical language to formulate problems in mathematics and science related to calculus in several variables.
- apply methods from multivariable calculus to find analytic solutions to mathematical and engineering problems.
- use mathematical software to visualise and solve relevant problems in calculus in several variables.
The candidate can
- use mathematical language to communicate about problems in engineering.
- translate between a mathematical language and a language suitable for use with mathematical software
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and exercises.
Further on evaluation
4 hour individual exam in Inspera, graded using the scale A-F.
Exam aids: Simple calculator
In order to take the exam, 70% of all compulsory assignments, including one compulsory computer assignment must be passed. Re-sit Exam: May/June.
Python will be available on the exam
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Automation and Intelligent Systems (BIAIS)
Chemical engineering (FTHINGKJ)
Civil Engineering (BIBYGG)
Electrical Engineering (BIELEKTRO)
Logistics engineering (FTHINGLOG)
Materials engineering (FTHINGMAT)
Mechanical Engineering (BIMASKIN)
Renewable Energy (BIFOREN)
Ship Design, Engineering (699SD)
Recommended previous knowledge
Mathematical methods 1 and 2 for engineers, or equivalent..
To be announced.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2023
Language of instruction: -
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD School exam 100/100 3.PART , D 2023-12-21 09:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates G132 Gnisten/Fagskolen 42 C218 Ankeret/Hovedbygget 40
- Spring UTS School exam 100/100 3.PART , D INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"