Course - Statistics - TMA4240
TMA4240 - Statistics
Descriptive statistics. Probabilities for an event and stochastic variables. Independent and
dependent stochastic variables. Conditional probability. Univariate and multivariate probability distributions. The most important classes of univariate probability distributions. Extreme
variables. Point estimation, interval estimation and hypothesis testing for one and two sample
data. Simple linear regression.
1. Knowledge. The student knows the mathematical basis for probability and statistical inference, can recognise simple statistical standard situations in technology and natural sciences, and know how these situations can best be analysed. Furthermore the student understands
the concepts of statistics and probability sufficient to be able to communicate with a trained statistician in more complicated situations.
2. Skills. The student can calculate probabilities for events in simple situations. Further, the student can apply his or her knowledge of probability and statistics to recognise and analyse data from simple statistical situations in technology and natural sciences, also using descriptive statistics. Furthermore, the student is able to communicate with a trained statistician in more complicated situations.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, recommended problems and compulsory exercises. Written final examination is the basis for the grade awarded in the course. Retake of examination may be given as
an oral examination.
Further on evaluation
see «Teaching methods and activities».
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Recommended previous knowledge
TMA4100 Calculus 1 or equivalent.
Will be announced at the start of the semester.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2021
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Technological subjects
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn NY School exam 100/100 C 2021-12-09 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL410 orange sone Sluppenvegen 14 53 SL410 blå sone Sluppenvegen 14 46 SL515 Sluppenvegen 14 11 SL420 Sluppenvegen 14 7 SL425 Sluppenvegen 14 6 SL310 lilla sone Sluppenvegen 14 75 SL415 Sluppenvegen 14 49 SL430 Sluppenvegen 14 51 SL323 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL238 Sluppenvegen 14 2 SL311 lyseblå sone Sluppenvegen 14 90 SL311 brun sone Sluppenvegen 14 74 SL311 grønn sone Sluppenvegen 14 65 SL310 hvit sone Sluppenvegen 14 42
- Autumn NY School exam 100/100 C 2021-12-09 09:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL355 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL319 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL520 Sluppenvegen 14 19 SL271 Sluppenvegen 14 2 SL274 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL318 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL317 Sluppenvegen 14 1 SL228 Sluppenvegen 14 8 SL425 Sluppenvegen 14 8 SL311 lyseblå sone Sluppenvegen 14 96 SL311 orange sone Sluppenvegen 14 65 SL311 brun sone Sluppenvegen 14 81 SL311 grønn sone Sluppenvegen 14 68
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"