Background and activities
Gunnar Austrheim Current projects
MANaging ECOsystem services in low alpine cultural landscapes through livestock grazing (MANECO) http://www.ntnu.no/web/vitenskapsmuseet/maneco
How to manage dynamic landscapes? (DYLAN). Towards a new framework for the management of cultural and natural heritage in upland Landscape Conservation Areas (LCA) in Norway. Norwegian Research Council, program ”Environment2015”. (leader Gunnar Austrheim).
Long-term ecological effects of sheep grazing in alpine ecosystems and its integration with management. Norwegian Research Council, program ”Environment2015”. (leader Atle Mysterud, UIO).
Towards sustainable management of moose, red deer and their food resources. Norwegian Research Council, program “Environment2015”. NFR: Miljø2015. (leader Erling J. Solberg NINA) www.NINA.no\hjortevilt.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Temporal scales of density-dependent habitat selection in a large grazing herbivore. Oikos. volum 123 (8).
- (2014) Linking sheep density and grazing frequency to persistence of herb species in an alpine environment. Ecological research. volum 29 (3).
- (2014) Lasting effects of snow accumulation on summer performance of large herbivores in alpine ecosystems may not last. Journal of Animal Ecology. volum 83 (3).
- (2014) Quantification of past plant abundances based on the R-value model: Exemplified by an impact assessment of pre-historic iron production and summer farming in Budalen, central Norway. The Holocene. volum 24 (4).
- (2014) General and specifi c responses of understory vegetation to cervid herbivory across a range of boreal forests. Oikos.
- (2014) Long-Term Increase in Aboveground Carbon Stocks Following Exclusion of Grazers and Forest Establishment in an Alpine Ecosystem. Ecosystems (New York. Print).
- (2014) Low intensities of red deer browsing constrain rowan growth in mature boreal forests of western Norway. Ecoscience. volum 20 (3).
- (2013) Bærekraftig sauebeiting: hvilke beitetrykk tåler naturen?. Frødi. volum 18 (2).
- (2013) Co-variation between plant above-ground biomass and phenology in sub-alpine grasslands. Applied Vegetation Science. volum 16 (2).
- (2013) Local temperatures inferred from plant communities suggest strong spatial buffering of climate warming across Northern Europe. Global Change Biology. volum 19 (5).
- (2013) Differences in the quality of seepage water and runoff caused by plant community and grazing at an Alpine site in Hol, southern Norway. Water, Air and Soil Pollution. volum 224 (9).
- (2013) Temporal variation in density dependent body growth of a large herbivore. Oikos. volum 122 (3).
- (2013) Browsing of sallow (Salix caprea L.) and rowan (Sorbus aucuparia L.) in the context of life history strategies: a literature review. European Journal of Forest Research. volum 132 (3).
- (2013) The Response of Alpine Salix Shrubs to Long-Term Browsing Varies with Elevation and Herbivore Density. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine research. volum 45 (4).
- (2013) Regional-scale alteration of clear-cut forest regeneration caused by moose browsing. Forest Ecology and Management. volum 289.
- (2013) The response of plant diversity to grazing varies along an elevational gradient. Journal of Ecology. volum 101 (5).
- (2012) Effects of Sheep Grazing on Availability and Leaching of Soil Nitrogen in Low-Alpine Grasslands. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine research. volum 44 (1).
- (2012) Age class, density and temporal effects on diet composition of sheep in an alpine ecosystem. Basic and Applied Ecology. volum 13 (5).
- (2012) Experimental evidence of density dependent activity pattern of a large herbivore in an alpine ecosystem. Oikos. volum 121 (9).
- (2012) Long-term land-use and landscape dynamics in Budalen, central Norway. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management. volum 8 (4).