Postal addressDepartment of Public Health and General Practice Norwegian University of Science and Technology Postboks 8905 7401 Trondheim Norway
Background and activities
Professor MD, PhD. Director, HUNT Research Centre, NTNU. Consultant in Psychiatry, Levanger Hospital, Nord-Trøndelag Health Trust.
PhD in Social Epidemiology / Public Health, research on socio-economic causes of poor health, disease, mortality and disability. Research experience in Psychiatric Epidemiology and Health Services Research. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Krokstad%20S)
Published several book chapters in social medicine and medical sociology, one of the editors of the new Social Medicine textbook in Norway. (http://www.gyldendal.no/Gyldendal-Akademisk/Medisin/Sosialmedisin)
Project manager (PI) of the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study in 2006-08 (HUNT3), which integrated data from a variety of medical and social science research disciplines. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22879362) Data from HUNT3 have led to extensive research in a wide range of disciplines. In addition, HUNT3 was a population based screening for selected diseases and conditions.
As Head of the HUNT Research Centre since 2008, (http://www.ntnu.edu/hunt) heavily involved in disease prevention and health promotion in partnership with local, regional and national authorities.
Former Specialist in General Practice, now a Specialist and Consultant in Psychiatry.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Medical benefits in young Norwegians and their parents, and the contribution of family health and socioeconomic status. The HUNT Study, Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. volum 41 (5).
- (2013) The Health Hazards of Marriage. A cohort study of work related disability within 12,500 Norwegian couples - the HUNT Study. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. volum 41 (5).
- (2013) Socio-economic inequalities in Norwegian health care utilization over 3 decades: the HUNT Study. European Journal of Public Health. volum 23 (6).
- (2012) Patterns of receptive and creative cultural activities and their association with perceived health, anxiety, depression and satisfaction with life among adults: the HUNT study, Norway. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. volum 66 (8).
- (2012) Trends in absolute and relative educational inequalities in four modifiable ischaemic heart disease risk factors: repeated cross-sectional surveys from the Nord-Trondelag Health Study (HUNT) 1984-2008. BMC Public Health. volum 12 (1).
- (2012) En bedre folkehelsepolitikk. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. volum 132 (19).
- (2012) Cohort profile : the HUNT study, Norway. International Journal of Epidemiology. volum 42 (4).
- (2012) The HUNT study: participation is associated with survival and depends on socioeconomic status, diseases and symptoms. BMC Medical Research Methodology. volum 12 (143).
- (2012) Education-based health inequalities in 18,000 Norwegian couples: The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. BMC Public Health. volum 12.
- (2012) Educational inequalities in disability pensioning - the impact of illness and occupational, psychosocial, and behavioural factors: The Nord-Trondelag Health Study (HUNT). Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. volum 40 (2).
- (2012) The welfare burden of adolescent anxiety and depression: a prospective study of 7500 young Norwegians and their families: the HUNT study. BMJ Open. volum 2 (6).
- (2012) Health hazards of romantic relationships in the HUNT Study. European Journal of Public Health. volum 22.
- (2012) Educational inequalities in utilisation of health care services from 1984-2008 in Norway. European Journal of Public Health. volum 22.
- (2012) Socioeconomic inequalities in dental services utilisation in a Norwegian county: The third Nord-Trondelag Health Survey. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. volum 40 (7).
- (2012) Socioeconomic inequalities in health care utilisation in Norway: the population-based HUNT3 survey. International Journal for Equity in Health. volum 11.
- (2011) Reading and writing difficulties in adolescence and later risk of welfare dependence. A ten year follow-up, the HUNT Study, Norway. BMC Public Health. volum 11.
- (2009) Grunnleggende strategivalg i forebyggende helsearbeid. Utposten. volum 38 (4).
- (2009) Material, psychosocial, behavioural and biomedical factors in the explanation of relative socio-economic inequalities in mortality: evidence from the HUNT study. International Journal of Epidemiology. volum 38 (5).
- (2006) A population based cohort study of the effect of common mental disorder on disability pension awards”. American Journal of Psychiatry. volum 163 (8).
- (2004) The importance of social characteristics of communities for the medically based sisability pension. European Journal of Public Health. volum 14 (4).
- (2004) Disability in society � medical and non-medical determinants for disability pension in a Norwegian total county population study. Social Science and Medicine. volum 58.
- (2003) Social causation, health-selective mobility, and the reproduction of socioeconomic health inequalities over time: panel study of adult men. Social Science and Medicine. volum 57.
- (2002) Trends in health inequalities by educational level in a Norwegian total population study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. volum 56.
- (2002) Health inequalities by socioeconomic status among men in the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study, Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. volum 30.
- (2011) Sosialmedisin. Gyldendal Norsk Forlag A/S. 2011. ISBN 9788205399150.
Part of book/report
- (2011) Sosial ulikhet i helse. Sosialmedisin.
- (2009) Sosial kapital : limet som holder folkehelsen sammen?. Sosial epidemiologi : sosiale årsaker til sykdom og helsesvikt.
- (2003) Folkehelse og sosial ulikhet. Helse for de mange. Samfunnsmedisin i Norge.
- (2011) Folkehelse i endring. Helseundersøkelsen i Nord-Trøndelag. HUNT 1 (1984-86) - HUNT 2 (1995-97) - HUNT 3 (2006-08). 2011. ISBN 978-82-91725-08-6.
- (2009) HUNT. Helseundersøkelsen i Nord-Trøndelag. Lokalt, nasjonalt og internasjonalt fremragende. HUNT og NTNU mot 2020. Status og muligheter. 2009.
- (2005) Sosiale ulikheter i helse i Norge. En kunnskapsoversikt. 2005.
- (2004) Socioeconomic inequalities in health and disability. Social epidemiology in the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT), Norway. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2004.
- (2012) Første stopp: Levanger. Trøndelag er den aller første regionen som får besøk av den nye helseministeren, Jonas Gahr Støre. www.levangeravisa.no [Internett]. 2012-09-24.