English language requirements
These English requirements concern students applying for a master's degree and exchange programmes at NTNU.
English requirements for exchange students
English requirements for Erasmus Mundus
English requirements for Joint Nordic master's programmes
English requirements for International master's programmes and IFUS
Exchange students from countries outside the EU (South-Korea, China, Japan, South America and Serbia) are required to document their English proficiency starting spring semester 2014 (does not apply to autumn semester 2013):
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
Students from EU countries are not required to document their English proficiency.
The English language requirements for the Erasmus Mundus master's programmes vary. Visit the Erasmus Mundus programme website for information about programmes that are not listed here.
English requirements for the MSc in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management (CoMEM):
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 90 (internet-based test). Please note that we only accept the TOEFL internet based test, or
- IELTS (academic version) Overall Band score of at least 6.5, or
- The University of Cambridge 'Certificate of Proficiency in English' or the University of Cambridge 'Certificate in Advanced English'
CoMEM requires the language certificate to have been issued within the past two years.
nationals from the USA, the English speaking part of Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are exempt from the English language requirements.
The English language requirements for the Joint Nordic master's programmes vary. Visit the website of your master's programme of interest for further information.
This information is valid for applicants applying to an International master's programme. If you are uncertain if your programme is an International master's programme, please check it against this list.
- A passing grade from a Norwegian upper secondary school (videregående skole)
- Through a standardized test:
- University of Cambridge tests: - First Certificate in English - Certificate in Advanced English - Certificate of Proficiency in English
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery with a minimum score of 85 points
- One year of study at a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or the USA. The language of instruction must be English.
- A university degree with a major in English
- If special situations warrant it, applicants may document their English expertise in other ways.
Applicants from countries that are members of the European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) and/or the European Council/UNESCO-Cepes and who have had English as a second language over a period of a minimum of 7 years from elementary school through upper secondary school. In order to be eligible for this exemption, applicants must document that they meet these criteria. If special situations warrant it, applicants may document their English expertise in other ways.
Applicants with a Bachelor degree from a university in which the language of instruction is English:
- Eligible countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Gambia, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Applicants who have an A-level exam in English Countries eligible: Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Hong Kong, Cameroon, Kenya, Macau, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Western Samoa, Zimbabwe
In addition, the following may qualify for an exemption:
- Applicants from African countries with a BA/BSc/BEng degree where the language of instruction has been English and those who have passed English as a subject at GCE A-level with grade C or better.
- Applicants with a university degree in English language (BA in English) are also exempted from the language requirement. Please be aware that applicants from Asian countries (for example Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam) with a BA/ BSc/ BEng degree where the language of instruction has been English are not exempted from the English language requirements, except for candidates holding a BA degree in English.