Background and activities
My research deals with various aspects of second and third language acquisition, i.e., the acquisition of language(s) after early childhood. I'm interested in both theoretical and applied aspects of acquisition. Most of my work is on English. In particular, I am interested in how languages influence each other in the multilingual mind, the role of age in language acquisition, and in the relationship between implicit and explicit learning. I am also interested in multilingualism in a broad sense, and in multilingualism and language acquisition in schools.
I am one of the directors of Flere språk til flere Trondheim, whose aim is to communicate research-based knowledge about multilingualism, and I am a member of the research groups AcqVA: Acquisition, Variation, Attrition and FANT - Forskergruppe for andre- og tredjespråk. I am responsible for the topic of English in the Norwegian encyclopedia Store norske leksikon. I am currently the leader of the English study program at NTNU, and a member of the National Academic Council for English and of the Board of the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU.
Competence and academic interests:
- Second language acquisition
- Third language acquisition
- Age and language acquisition
- English in Norway
- English in (Norwegian) schools
- English in (Norwegian and international) academia
- Global English
I mainly teach courses in language acquisition and in Global English.
I'm happy to supervise theses on second and third language acquisition inside and outside the classroom, from theoretical or applied perspectives.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Flerspråklighet i engelskfaget. Fagsnakk fra Cappelen Damm.
- (2020) L2 transfer of L1 island-insensitivity: The case of Norwegian. Second Language Research.
- (2019) Fan translations of SKAM: Challenging Anglo linguistic and popular cultural hegemony in a transnational fandom. Scandinavian Studies in Language (SSL). vol. 10 (2).
- (2019) Introduction from our guest editors. Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics. vol. 22 (2).
- (2018) The acquisition of word order in L2 Norwegian: The case of subject and object shift. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. vol. 41 (3).
- (2018) Utvikling av funksjonell flerspråklighet gjennom 'translanguaging' og læringsstrategier. Communicare - et fagdidaktisk tidsskrift fra Fremmedspråksenteret.
- (2016) Engelsk som tredjespråk: Har lærere kompetanse til å støtte flerspråklighet?. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 10 (1).
- (2016) Baseline Assessment of Norwegian EFL Teacher Preparedness to Work with Multilingual Students. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 7 (2).
- (2015) Utvikling av språkforståelse i tidlig start med engelsk. Communicare - et fagdidaktisk tidsskrift fra Fremmedspråksenteret. vol. 5 (1).
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2004) Negative evidence in L2 acquisition. Nordlyd.
- (2018) Enacting Multilingualism From research to teaching practice in the English classroom. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. 2018. ISBN 9788202595623.
Part of book/report
- (2019) PhD Revisited: Young language learners. The acquisition of English in Norwegian first-grade classrooms. English didactics in Norway - 30 years of doctoral research.
- (2018) The Role of English as a Foreign Language in Educating Refugees in Norway. Educating Refugee-background Students: Critical Issues and Dynamic Contexts.
- (2016) Forging a Linguistically Diverse Future: Implications for EFL Teacher Education Programmes in Norway. Anglistentag 2015 Paderborn.
- (2015) Input and language competence in early-start foreign language classrooms. Usage-Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning.
- (2014) Prinsipper for grammatikkundervisningen. Fremmedspråksdidaktikk.
- (2014) Young language learners: The acquisition of English in Norwegian first-grade classrooms. 2014.
- (2008) Samarbeid mellom lærerutdanningsinstitusjon og skole-/barnehageeier Kartlegging, analyse og modellutvikling for HiTø og UiT. 2008. ISBN 9788273891259.
- (2000) Unlearning: On the Acquisition of Case Absorption Effects in English Passives by Native Speakers of Norwegian. 2000.
- (2019) Acquisition of verb placement in L3 French. Generative approaches to language acquisition (GALA 14) . University of Milano - Bicocca; Milano. 2019-09-12 - 2019-09-14.
- (2019) Verb placement in L3 German. L3 Workshop . Universität Konstanz; Konstanz. 2019-06-07 - 2019-06-08.
- (2019) Full Transfer and retraction in L2: Evidence from Norwegian-English bilinguals. AMLaP - Architectures and Mechanisms of Language Processing . HSE University; Moskva. 2019-09-06 - 2019-09-08.
- (2019) Learning subtle syntactic constraints in L2: Evidence from Norwegian-English bilinguals. CUNY 2019 32nd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing . University of Colorado Boulder; Boulder, Colorado. 2019-03-29 - 2019-03-31.
- (2019) Acquisition of verb placement in L3 German. GASLA Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition . University of Nevada, Reno; Reno, Nevada. 2019-03-22 - 2019-03-24.
- (2018) Word order in L3 acquisition. International conference on multilingualism and multilingual education . Douglas college; New Westminster, Vancouver. 2018-05-31 - 2018-06-02.
- (2018) L3 acquisition of verb placement. Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition North America - GALANA-8 . Indiana University, Bloomington; Bloomington, Indiana. 2018-09-27 - 2018-09-30.