Background and activities
My research deals with various aspects of second and third language acquisition, i.e., the acquisition of language(s) after early childhood. I'm interested in both theoretical and applied aspects of acquisition. Most of my work is on English. In particular, I am interested in how languages influence each other in the multilingual mind, the role of age in language acquisition, and in the relationship between implicit and explicit learning. I am also interested in multilingualism in a broad sense, and in multilingualism and language acquisition in schools.
I am one of the directors of Flere språk til flere Trondheim, whose aim is to communicate research-based knowledge about multilingualism, and I am a member of the research groups AcqVA: Acquisition, Variation, Attrition , FANT - Forskergruppe for andre- og tredjespråk, and VOCLEX - VOCabulary and the multilingual mental LEXicon.
I am Principal Investigator in the project Cross-linguistic Influence in Multilingual Acquisition (CLIMA), funded by the Research Council of Norway, and also a team member in the Polish-Norwegian projects Across-domain investigations in multilingualism: Modeling L3 acquisition in diverse settings (ADIM) og Cross-linguistic influence in multilingualism across domains: Phonology and syntax (CLIMAD).
I am also responsible for the topic of English in the Norwegian encyclopedia Store norske leksikon. , and a representative to the National Academic Council for English and to the Board of the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU.
Competence and academic interests:
- Second language acquisition
- Third language acquisition
- Age and language acquisition
- Multilingualism in education
- English in Norway
I mainly teach courses in language acquisition and multilingualism.
I'm happy to supervise theses on second and third language acquisition inside and outside the classroom, from theoretical or applied perspectives.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Reading Rate of Academic English Texts: Comparing L1 and Advanced L2 Users in Different Language Environments. Nordic Journal of English Studies (NJES). vol. 20 (1).
- (2021) French as a third language in Norway: The influence of the prior languages in the acquisition of word order. Oslo Studies in Language (OSLa). vol. 12 (1).
- (2020) L2 transfer of L1 island-insensitivity: The case of Norwegian. Second Language Research.
- (2019) Fan translations of SKAM: Challenging Anglo linguistic and popular cultural hegemony in a transnational fandom. Scandinavian Studies in Language (SSL). vol. 10 (2).
- (2019) Introduction from our guest editors. Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics. vol. 22 (2).
- (2018) The acquisition of word order in L2 Norwegian: The case of subject and object shift. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. vol. 41 (3).
- (2018) Utvikling av funksjonell flerspråklighet gjennom 'translanguaging' og læringsstrategier. Communicare - et fagdidaktisk tidsskrift fra Fremmedspråksenteret.
- (2016) Engelsk som tredjespråk: Har lærere kompetanse til å støtte flerspråklighet?. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 10 (1).
- (2016) Baseline Assessment of Norwegian EFL Teacher Preparedness to Work with Multilingual Students. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 7 (2).
- (2015) Utvikling av språkforståelse i tidlig start med engelsk. Communicare - et fagdidaktisk tidsskrift fra Fremmedspråksenteret. vol. 5 (1).
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2004) Negative evidence in L2 acquisition. Nordlyd.
- (2022) Theoretical and Applied Perspectives on Teaching Foreign Languages in Multilingual Settings: Pedagogical Implications. Multilingual Matters. 2022. ISBN 9781788926409.
- (2018) Enacting Multilingualism From research to teaching practice in the English classroom. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. 2018. ISBN 9788202595623.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Educational and Career Opportunities for Refugee-Background Adults in Norway: A DLC Perspective. Dominant language constellations approach in education and language acquisition.
- (2019) PhD Revisited: Young language learners. The acquisition of English in Norwegian first-grade classrooms. English didactics in Norway - 30 years of doctoral research.
- (2018) The Role of English as a Foreign Language in Educating Refugees in Norway. Educating Refugee-background Students: Critical Issues and Dynamic Contexts.
- (2016) Forging a Linguistically Diverse Future: Implications for EFL Teacher Education Programmes in Norway. Anglistentag 2015 Paderborn.
- (2015) Input and language competence in early-start foreign language classrooms. Usage-Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning.
- (2014) Prinsipper for grammatikkundervisningen. Fremmedspråksdidaktikk.
- (2014) Young language learners: The acquisition of English in Norwegian first-grade classrooms. 2014.
- (2008) Samarbeid mellom lærerutdanningsinstitusjon og skole-/barnehageeier Kartlegging, analyse og modellutvikling for HiTø og UiT. 2008. ISBN 9788273891259.
- (2000) Unlearning: On the Acquisition of Case Absorption Effects in English Passives by Native Speakers of Norwegian. 2000.
- (2022) CLIMA - et forskningsprosjekt om tredjespråkstilegnelse. NOA9 Forskningskonferanse om norsk som andrespråk 2022 . Høgskolen i Østfold; 2022-02-03 - 2022-02-04.
- (2022) Cross-Linguistic Influence in Multilingual Acquisition (CLIMA). Cross-linguistic Influences in Multilingual Acquisition - Kick-off seminar . NTNU, CLIMA; Trondheim. 2022-03-10 - 2022-03-11.
- (2022) Island-insensitivity in L2 Production. 35th Annual Conference on Human Sentence Processing . University of California, Santa Cruz; Santa Cruz, California. 2022-03-24 - 2022-03-26.
- (2022) Polsk/norsk/engelsk flerspråklighet: Forskjeller mellom andre- og tredjespråkstilegnelse. NOA Norsk som andrespråk . Høgskolen i Østfold; 2022-02-03 - 2022-02-04.
- (2021) To move or not to move: Verb placement in L3 French. Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition North America, GALANA9 . University of Iceland; Reykjavik. 2021-05-07 - 2021-05-09.
- (2019) Acquisition of verb placement in L3 French. Generative approaches to language acquisition (GALA 14) . University of Milano - Bicocca; Milano. 2019-09-12 - 2019-09-14.
- (2019) Verb placement in L3 German. L3 Workshop . Universität Konstanz; Konstanz. 2019-06-07 - 2019-06-08.
- (2019) Full Transfer and retraction in L2: Evidence from Norwegian-English bilinguals. AMLaP - Architectures and Mechanisms of Language Processing . HSE University; Moskva. 2019-09-06 - 2019-09-08.
- (2019) Learning subtle syntactic constraints in L2: Evidence from Norwegian-English bilinguals. CUNY 2019 32nd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing . University of Colorado Boulder; Boulder, Colorado. 2019-03-29 - 2019-03-31.
- (2019) Acquisition of verb placement in L3 German. GASLA Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition . University of Nevada, Reno; Reno, Nevada. 2019-03-22 - 2019-03-24.