Background and activities
Bern-Erik Sæther is the Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). He belongs to the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Integration of ecological and evolutionary processes, community and population dynamics. Bernt-Erik has led several major field projects, including the house sparrow and elk.
- Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) [ 2013 -
- Professor in population ecology at the Department of Biology [ 1996 -
- Professor II (20 %) at NTNU [ 1990-1996 ]
- Senior scientific advisor (20 %) at Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) [ 1996 ]
- Senior researcher, Division, Directorate for Nature Management [ 1990-1996 ]
- Division, Directorate for Nature Management. Researcher [ 1989 ]
- Researcher at Game Research [ 1984-1989 ]
- Research assistant at Game Research [ 1980-1984 ]
- Research Council of Norway’s Award for Outstanding Research (the Møbius Prize) together with Professor Steinar Engen (2013)
- Centre of Excellence Grant (SFF-III) by the Research Council of Norway to the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) (2012)
- Advanced Research Grant from the European Research Council (2011-2016)
- Elected member of the The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (2010)
- Elected as member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2009)
- Elected as member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (2002)
- Member and chairman for the Swedish Research Committee in Wildlife Research
- Member of the Steering Board for Environmental Research, MISTRA
- Member of the Steering Board of the Division for Energy, Resources and the Environment in the Research Council of Norway
- Member of the steering board for the research program in climate research in Norway (NORKLIMA) (2002-2007)
- Member of the Swedish Committee for Environmental Research (2000-2005)
- Member of the Steering Board for Environment and Development in the Research Council of Norway (1999-2003)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Eco-evolutionary feedbacks - theoretical models and perspectives. Functional Ecology. vol. 33.
- (2018) The effect of harvesting on the spatial synchrony of population fluctuations. Theoretical Population Biology. vol. 123.
- (2018) Spatial distribution and optimal harvesting of an age-structured population in a fluctuating environment. Mathematical Biosciences. vol. 296.
- (2018) Does multiple paternity explain phenotypic variation among offspring in wild boar?. Behavioral Ecology. vol. 29 (4).
- (2018) Environmental drivers of varying selective optima in a small passerine: A multivariate, multiepisodic approach. Evolution. vol. 72 (11).
- (2018) Spatial scales of population synchrony of two competing species: effects of harvesting and strength of competition. Oikos. vol. 127 (10).
- (2018) Offspring fitness and the optimal propagule size in a fluctuating environment. Journal of Avian Biology. vol. 49 (7).
- (2018) Inferences of genetic architecture of bill morphology in house sparrow using a high-density SNP array point to a polygenic basis. Molecular Ecology. vol. 27 (17).
- (2018) Determinants of age at first reproduction and lifetime breeding success revealed by full paternity assignment in a male ungulate. Oikos.
- (2017) Extinction risk and lack of evolutionary rescue under resource depletion or area reduction. American Naturalist. vol. 190 (1).
- (2017) Reproductive allocation in pulsed-resource environments: a comparative study in two populations of wild boar. Oecologia. vol. 183.
- (2017) Interactions between demography and environmental effects are important determinants of population dynamics. Science Advances. vol. 3 (2).
- (2017) Controlling for P-value inflation in allele frequency change in experimental evolution and artificial selection experiments. Molecular Ecology Resources. vol. 17 (4).
- (2017) Reversal of response to artificial selection on body size in a wild passerine bird. Evolution. vol. 71 (8).
- (2017) Evolution of stochastic demography with life history tradeoffs in density-dependent age-structured populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 114 (44).
- (2017) Fitness correlates of age at primiparity in a hunted moose population. Oecologia.
- (2017) Effective size in density‐dependent two‐sex populations: the effect of mating systems. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 30 (8).
- (2017) How are species interactions structured in species-rich communities? A new method for analysing time-series data. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 284 (1855).
- (2017) Climate and density dependence cause changes in adult sex ratio in a large Arctic herbivore. Ecosphere. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Demographic influences of translocated individuals on a resident population of house sparrows. Oikos. vol. 126 (10).