Background and activities
Bern-Erik Sæther is the Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). He belongs to the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Integration of ecological and evolutionary processes, community and population dynamics. Bernt-Erik has led several major field projects, including the house sparrow and elk.
- Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) [ 2013 -
- Professor in population ecology at the Department of Biology [ 1996 -
- Professor II (20 %) at NTNU [ 1990-1996 ]
- Senior scientific advisor (20 %) at Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) [ 1996 ]
- Senior researcher, Division, Directorate for Nature Management [ 1990-1996 ]
- Division, Directorate for Nature Management. Researcher [ 1989 ]
- Researcher at Game Research [ 1984-1989 ]
- Research assistant at Game Research [ 1980-1984 ]
- Research Council of Norway’s Award for Outstanding Research (the Møbius Prize) together with Professor Steinar Engen (2013)
- Centre of Excellence Grant (SFF-III) by the Research Council of Norway to the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) (2012)
- Advanced Research Grant from the European Research Council (2011-2016)
- Elected member of the The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (2010)
- Elected as member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2009)
- Elected as member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (2002)
- Member and chairman for the Swedish Research Committee in Wildlife Research
- Member of the Steering Board for Environmental Research, MISTRA
- Member of the Steering Board of the Division for Energy, Resources and the Environment in the Research Council of Norway
- Member of the steering board for the research program in climate research in Norway (NORKLIMA) (2002-2007)
- Member of the Swedish Committee for Environmental Research (2000-2005)
- Member of the Steering Board for Environment and Development in the Research Council of Norway (1999-2003)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Characterizing morphological (co)variation using structural equation models: Body size, allometric relationships and evolvability in a house sparrow metapopulation. Evolution. vol. 73 (3).
- (2019) Ecological dynamics and large scale phenotypic differentiation in density-dependent populations. Theoretical Population Biology. vol. 127.
- (2019) Spatial scaling of population synchrony in marine fish depends on their life history. Ecology Letters. vol. 22 (11).
- (2019) Does harvesting amplify environmentally induced population fluctuations over time in marine and terrestrial species?. Journal of Applied Ecology. vol. 56 (9).
- (2019) Accounting for interspecific competition and age structure in demographic analyses of density dependence improves predictions of fluctuations in population size. Ecology Letters. vol. 22.
- (2019) More frequent extreme climate events stabilize reindeer population dynamics. Nature Communications. vol. 10 (1).
- (2019) Spatial heterogeneity in climate change effects decouples the long‐term dynamics of wild reindeer populations in the high Arctic. Global Change Biology.
- (2019) Parasite prevalence increases with temperature in an avian metapopulation in northern Norway. Parasitology. vol. 146 (8).
- (2019) Density‐dependent population dynamics of a high Arctic capital breeder, the barnacle goose. Journal of Animal Ecology.
- (2019) Use, selection, and home range properties: complex patterns of individual habitat utilization. Ecosphere. vol. 10:e02695 (4).
- (2019) Towards a predictive conservation biology: the devil is in the behaviour. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 374 (1781).
- (2018) The effect of harvesting on the spatial synchrony of population fluctuations. Theoretical Population Biology. vol. 123.
- (2018) Spatial distribution and optimal harvesting of an age-structured population in a fluctuating environment. Mathematical Biosciences. vol. 296.
- (2018) Does multiple paternity explain phenotypic variation among offspring in wild boar?. Behavioral Ecology. vol. 29 (4).
- (2018) Environmental drivers of varying selective optima in a small passerine: A multivariate, multiepisodic approach. Evolution. vol. 72 (11).
- (2018) Eco-evolutionary feedbacks - theoretical models and perspectives. Functional Ecology. vol. 33.
- (2018) Spatial scales of population synchrony of two competing species: effects of harvesting and strength of competition. Oikos. vol. 127 (10).
- (2018) Offspring fitness and the optimal propagule size in a fluctuating environment. Journal of Avian Biology. vol. 49 (7).
- (2018) Inferences of genetic architecture of bill morphology in house sparrow using a high-density SNP array point to a polygenic basis. Molecular Ecology. vol. 27 (17).
- (2018) Determinants of age at first reproduction and lifetime breeding success revealed by full paternity assignment in a male ungulate. Oikos. vol. 128 (3).