Background and activities
Bern-Erik Sæther is the Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). He belongs to the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Integration of ecological and evolutionary processes, community and population dynamics. Bernt-Erik has led several major field projects, including the house sparrow and elk.
- Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) [ 2013 -
- Professor in population ecology at the Department of Biology [ 1996 -
- Professor II (20 %) at NTNU [ 1990-1996 ]
- Senior scientific advisor (20 %) at Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) [ 1996 ]
- Senior researcher, Division, Directorate for Nature Management [ 1990-1996 ]
- Division, Directorate for Nature Management. Researcher [ 1989 ]
- Researcher at Game Research [ 1984-1989 ]
- Research assistant at Game Research [ 1980-1984 ]
- Research Council of Norway’s Award for Outstanding Research (the Møbius Prize) together with Professor Steinar Engen (2013)
- Centre of Excellence Grant (SFF-III) by the Research Council of Norway to the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) (2012)
- Advanced Research Grant from the European Research Council (2011-2016)
- Elected member of the The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (2010)
- Elected as member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2009)
- Elected as member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (2002)
- Member and chairman for the Swedish Research Committee in Wildlife Research
- Member of the Steering Board for Environmental Research, MISTRA
- Member of the Steering Board of the Division for Energy, Resources and the Environment in the Research Council of Norway
- Member of the steering board for the research program in climate research in Norway (NORKLIMA) (2002-2007)
- Member of the Swedish Committee for Environmental Research (2000-2005)
- Member of the Steering Board for Environment and Development in the Research Council of Norway (1999-2003)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Temporal correlations among demographic parameters are ubiquitous but highly variable across species. Ecology Letters. vol. 25 (7).
- (2022) Environmental effects on spatial population dynamics and synchrony: lessons from northern ecosystems. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.
- (2022) Density-dependent selection and the maintenance of colour polymorphism in barn owls. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 289 (1976).
- (2022) Extreme events, trophic chain reactions, and shifts in phenotypic selection. Research Square.
- (2022) Population responses to harvesting in fluctuating environments. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.
- (2022) Harvesting can stabilise population fluctuations and buffer the impacts of extreme climatic events. Ecology Letters. vol. 25 (4).
- (2022) Artificial size selection experiment reveals telomere length dynamics and fitness consequences in a wild passerine. Molecular Ecology.
- (2022) Inbreeding is associated with shorter early-life telomere length in a wild passerine. Conservation Genetics.
- (2022) Effects of density, species interactions, and environmental stochasticity on the dynamics of British bird communities. Ecology. vol. 103 (8).
- (2022) Sustainable management of populations impacted by harvesting and climate change. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.
- (2021) Variation in generation time reveals density regulation as an important driver of pace of life in a bird metapopulation. Ecology Letters. vol. 24.
- (2021) Sustainable strategies for harvesting predators and prey in a fluctuating environment. Ecological Modelling. vol. 440.
- (2021) An evolutionary and ecological community model for distribution of phenotypes and abundances among competing species. The American Naturalist. vol. 198 (1).
- (2021) Structure of the G-matrix in relation to phenotypic contributions to fitness. Theoretical Population Biology. vol. 138.
- (2021) Quantifying fixed individual heterogeneity in demographic parameters: Performance of correlated random effects for Bernoulli variables. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 13 (1).
- (2021) Effects of pulsed resources on the dynamics of seed consumer populations: a comparative demographic study in wild boar. Ecosphere. vol. 12 (5).
- (2021) Spatiotemporal variation in climatic conditions across ecosystems. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.
- (2021) Demographic consequences of harvesting: a case study from a small and isolated moose population. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.
- (2021) Detecting climate signals in populations across life histories. Global Change Biology.
- (2021) Optimal harvesting in a changing climate. Climate Research (CR). vol. 86.