Background and activities
Bern-Erik Sæther is the Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). CBD is a Norwegian Centre of excellence (SFF). He belongs to the Ecology research group at the Department of Biology at NTNU
Integration of ecological and evolutionary processes, community and population dynamics. Bernt-Erik has led several major field projects, including the house sparrow and elk.
- Director of the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) [ 2013 -
- Professor in population ecology at the Department of Biology [ 1996 -
- Professor II (20 %) at NTNU [ 1990-1996 ]
- Senior scientific advisor (20 %) at Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA) [ 1996 ]
- Senior researcher, Division, Directorate for Nature Management [ 1990-1996 ]
- Division, Directorate for Nature Management. Researcher [ 1989 ]
- Researcher at Game Research [ 1984-1989 ]
- Research assistant at Game Research [ 1980-1984 ]
- Research Council of Norway’s Award for Outstanding Research (the Møbius Prize) together with Professor Steinar Engen (2013)
- Centre of Excellence Grant (SFF-III) by the Research Council of Norway to the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) (2012)
- Advanced Research Grant from the European Research Council (2011-2016)
- Elected member of the The Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (2010)
- Elected as member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (2009)
- Elected as member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (2002)
- Member and chairman for the Swedish Research Committee in Wildlife Research
- Member of the Steering Board for Environmental Research, MISTRA
- Member of the Steering Board of the Division for Energy, Resources and the Environment in the Research Council of Norway
- Member of the steering board for the research program in climate research in Norway (NORKLIMA) (2002-2007)
- Member of the Swedish Committee for Environmental Research (2000-2005)
- Member of the Steering Board for Environment and Development in the Research Council of Norway (1999-2003)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Variation in generation time reveals density regulation as an important driver of pace of life in a bird metapopulation. Ecology Letters. vol. 24.
- (2021) Sustainable strategies for harvesting predators and prey in a fluctuating environment. Ecological Modelling. vol. 440.
- (2021) An evolutionary and ecological community model for distribution of phenotypes and abundances among competing species. The American Naturalist. vol. 98 (1).
- (2021) STRUCTURE OF THE G-MATRIX IN RELATION TO PHENOTYPIC CONTRIBUTIONS TO FITNESS. Theoretical Population Biology. vol. 138.
- (2021) Effects of pulsed resources on the dynamics of seed consumer populations: a comparative demographic study in wild boar. Ecosphere. vol. 12 (5).
- (2021) Population responses to harvesting in fluctuating environments. Climate Research (CR).
- (2021) Age-dependent patterns of spatial autocorrelation in fish populations. Ecology. vol. 00:e03523.
- (2021) Spatial structure and dispersal dynamics in a house sparrow metapopulation. Journal of Animal Ecology.
- (2021) Dispersal in a house sparrow metapopulation: An integrative case study of genetic assignment calibrated with ecological data and pedigree information. Molecular Ecology. vol. 30.
- (2021) Many lifetime growth trajectories for a single mammal. Ecology and Evolution.
- (2020) Connecting the data landscape of long‐term ecological studies: The SPI‐Birds data hub. Journal of Animal Ecology.
- (2020) Phenotypic evolution in stochastic environments: The contribution of frequency- and density-dependent selection. Evolution. vol. 74 (9).
- (2020) Multi-event capture-recapture analysis in Alpine chamois reveals contrasting responses to interspecific competition, within and between populations. Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 89.
- (2020) The Demographic buffering hypothesis: evidence and challenges. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. vol. 35 (6).
- (2020) Stabilizing selection and adaptive evolution in a combination of two traits in an arctic ungulate. Evolution. vol. 74 (1).
- (2020) Spatial scales of population synchrony in predator-prey systems. The American Naturalist. vol. 195 (2).
- (2020) Decomposing demographic contributions to the effective population size with moose as a case study. Molecular Ecology. vol. 29 (1).
- (2020) Spatial covariation of competing species in a fluctuating environment. Ecology. vol. 101 (1).
- (2020) Consistent scaling of inbreeding depression in space and time in a house sparrow metapopulation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 117 (25).
- (2020) Opposing fitness consequences of habitat use in a harvested moose population. Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 89 (7).