Background and activities
Dr. Dirk Ahlers is a senior researcher and project manager of +CityxChange. He has a background in Computer Science and now works with the Smart Sustainable Cities group of the Department of Architecture and Planning.
He has been an ERCIM Marie Curie postdoctoral fellow at the Data and Information Management group and a research scientist in the Information Systems group of the Department of Computer Science, working on Urban Intelligence, knowledge management, mobility and geospatial analysis, Smart Cities, and emission monitoring systems.
His research interests are Urban Intelligence, Smart Cities, Geospatial Retrieval, Information Retrieval, Web Mining, Search Engines, Information Access, Mobile, and Everything Geo.
You can find him at Geo: N 63.417002 E 10.404215
He is organizing the CS3CS — Workshop on City Strategies for Smart Sustainable Climate Solutions in Trondheim and is the co-chair of the LocWeb - Location and the Web workshop series.
The latest LocWeb2019 Workshop - Location and the Web @ WWW2019 is accepting submissions.
Some selected projects:
- UBIMOB — Ubiquitous Data-Driven Urban Mobility
- SCIL — Smart City Infrastructure Lab
- FME-ZEN — Center of Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities
- NTNU Smart Sustainable Cities
- CTT — Carbon Track & Trace
- Campus Mobility Analysis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Co-Creation of Positive Energy Blocks. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) A Smart City Ecosystem Enabling Open Innovation. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 1041.
- (2019) API deployment for big data management towards sustainable energy prosumption in smart cities-a layered architecture perspective. International Journal of Sustainable Energy.
- (2019) Big data-oriented energy prosumption service in smart community districts: a multi-case study perspective. Energy Informatics. vol. 2 (1).
- (2019) D2C-SM: Designing a Distributed-to-Centralized Software Management Architecture for Smart Cities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11701 LNCS.
- (2018) Harnessing Mobility Data in Cities: A Case Study from the Bergen Region. NOKOBIT - Norsk konferanse for organisasjoners bruk av informasjonsteknologi. vol. 26 (1).
- (2018) Report on the Eighth International Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2018). SIGIR Forum. vol. 52 (2).
- (2017) Supporting Municipal Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emission Inventories Using Business Process Modeling: A Case Study of Trondheim Municipality. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing. vol. 281.
- (2017) Report on the Seventh International Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2017). SIGIR Forum. vol. 51 (1).
- (2017) Investigating contextual ontologies and document corpus characteristics for information access in engineering settings. Journal of IT Cases and Applications. vol. 19 (1).
- (2016) Visualizing a city within a city – Mapping mobility within a university campus. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. vol. 166.
- (2016) A Measurement-Driven Approach to Understand Urban Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Nordic Cities. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2016) Training on the Job: Learning While Searching in an Engineering Workplace. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1647.
- (2016) Report on the Sixth International Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2016). SIGIR Forum. vol. 50 (2).
- (2015) Surveying GeoNames Gazetteer Data for the Nordic Countries. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) Document and Corpus Quality Challenges for Knowledge Management in Engineering Enterprises. ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality. vol. 6 (4).
- (2015) Report on the Fifth Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2015). SIGIR Forum. vol. 49 (2).
- (2015) Report on the Fourth Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2014). SIGIR Forum. vol. 49 (1).
- (2015) Open, Autonomous Digital Ecosystems – How to Create and Evolve Trustworthy Systems of Systems?. ERCIM News.
- (2014) Applying Geographic Information Retrieval — An Experience Report on Developing Local Search for a Developing Country. Datenbank-Spektrum. vol. 14 (1).
- Databases and multimedia systems
- Geographic information systems
- Information and communication technology
- System development and design
- Sustainable urban development
- Mobile applications & services
- Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Information Storage and Retrieval
- Information retrieval
- Access to information
- Big Data
- Smart Cities
- Enterprise Architecture
- Internet of Things