Background and activities
PhD EE Cornell University 1994, Pre-Business U of Oregon 1981/82, IEEE Senior Member 2000
Courses in "Management Competence at Board Level" (BI 2007) and completed NTNU's Research Leadership Programme (Oct 2011-Feb 2012)
- March 31, Apr 4-5, 2017: Elster visited NTNU-Ålesund on Friday (March 31), and will be visiting NTNU-Gjøvik today (April 4) and NFR's ERC 10-year event on April 5, in Oslo.
- Elster will be an opponent for a PhD candidate at UiB and serves as expert on tenure review for KTH, Sweden, spring 2017
- March 16, 2017: Elster served on the Education panel organized by Morgenbladet at Samfunnet https://morgenbladet.no/hendelse/late-og-stressa-studenter
- Jan 27, 2017: EU H2020 MCSA Post Doc for Dr. Weifeng Liu approved for signing! Looking forward to have him join my research group
- Jan 10, 2017: Participated in the NOKUT panel in Oslo at UofO : (NOKUT is Norway's Accreditaion organization for higher ed) on the tdiscussing the recent educators' survey: http://www.nokut.no/no/Nyheter/Konferanser-seminarer-og-kurs/NOKUT-frokost/NOKUT-frokost-Vi-legger-frem-resultatene-fra-Underviserundersokelsen/
- See also interview with me in Norway's main financial paper DN.no as well as several other university papers, etc: http://www.dn.no/talent/2017/01/10/0815/Utdannelse/dette-mener-laererne-om-norske-studenter-og-universiteter
- Jan 9, 2017: Attended RCN (NFR) meeting in Oslo on H2020 evaluation: http://www.forskningsradet.no/no/Arrangement/Horisont_2020__Midtveisevaluering_og_posisjoner_til_neste_rammeprogram/1254022392669
Founder and Director – HPC-Lab, Dept. of Computer & Info. Science NTNU, which I started as my research group when I joined NTNU in 2001, and founded as a lab in 2008. We are now an established research lab in Heterogeneous and Parallel Computing, consisting of myself, several Post Docs, PhD students and Master students as well as both national and international visiting colleagues and scientists who want to learn about and experiment with heterogeneous computing.
EU Horizon2020 ICT FEIT 2014 Proposal: CloudLightning: Self-Organizing, Self-Managed Heterogeneous Clouds,
John Morrison, Cork University Collage, Ireland (Coordinator), Anne C Elster (main co-PI) + 5 more partners. NTNU is largest partner aside from coordinator and receives ca. 16% of the Euro 3.9 million budget.
The project is developing self-organization and management of cloud services to enable efficient access to heterogeneous resources. The resources are exploited to reduce application development efforts. The aim is to make optimizations easier and to simplify service deployment. I lead a work package on characterizing and capturing behavior of several resource co-processor types including: GPUs (Graphics Processing Units), MICs (e,g, Intel Xeon Phi) , and DFEs (Maxeler FPGA-based DataFlow Engine). Dr. Elster is also the overall project's Quality and Risk Manager.
I have been or am the main advisor for several studentsand have been co-advisor, Opponent and EU evaluator for many more. I have also so far been the main advisor for more than 70 master students at NTNU, over 30 of them on project related to GPU computing.
Teaching: I love teaching! Here are some of the main courses I am or have been involved with:
UT Austin: Algorithms, Data Structures, Operating Systems and Iterative Numerical Methods
NTNU: Parallel Computing, Compilers, Operating Systems, + 3 special topics MS/PhD courses covering parallel environments, numerical methods, heterogeous and grid computing and highly parallel algorithms.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Machine learning based auto-tuning for enhanced performance portability of OpenCL applications. Concurrency and Computation.
- (2015) Machine Learning Based Auto-Tuning for Enhanced OpenCL Performance Portability. Proceedings, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS).
- (2015) Noise modeler: An interactive editor and library for procedural terrains via continuous generation and compilation of GPU shaders. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9353.
- (2015) GPU simulation of nonlinear propagation of dual band ultrasound pulse complexes. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1685:070003.
- (2015) Real-time gradient vector flow on GPUs using OpenCL. Journal of Real-Time Image Processing. vol. 10 (1).
- (2015) Medical image segmentation on GPUs - A comprehensive review. Medical Image Analysis. vol. 20 (1).
- (2014) Summary of the First Workshop on Sustainable Software for Science: Practice and Experiences (WSSSPE1). Journal of Open Research Software. vol. 2 (1).
- (2014) Comparing algorithms for automated vessel segmentation in computed tomography scans of the lung: the VESSEL12 study. Medical Image Analysis. vol. 18 (7).
- (2014) GPU accelerated segmentation and centerline extraction of tubular structures from medical images. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery. vol. 9 (4).
- (2013) GPU-Accelerated Visualization of Scattered Point Data. IEEE Access. vol. 1.
- (2012) Optimization and Parallelization of Ptychography Reconstruction Code. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2012) Fast GPU-Based Fluid Simulations Using SPH. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7134.
- (2012) GPU-Based Airway Segmentation and Centerline Extraction for Image Guided Bronchoscopy. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2012) Real-Time Surface Extraction and Visualization of Medical Images using OpenCL and GPUs. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2011) Bandwidth Reduction Through Multithreaded Compression of Seismic Images. Proceedings, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS).
- (2011) Auto-tuning a Matrix Routine for High Performance. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2011) Optimized Barriers for Heterogeneous Systems Using MPI. Proceedings, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS).
- (2010) Pourous Rock Simulations and Lattice Boltzmann on GPUs. Advances in Parallel Computing. vol. 19.
- (2010) Parallel Computing with GPUs. Advances in Parallel Computing. vol. 19.
- (2010) Throughput Computing on Future GPUs. Advances in Parallel Computing. vol. 19.