Background and activities
Dr. Ramampiaro is an Associate Professor at the Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU. He is head of the Data and Artificial Intelligence (DART) group and coordinator for IE Faculty at NTNU’s research initiative on big data analytics. Ramampiaro is member of the management committee for the European Network on Integrating Vision and Language and substitute member of the management committee for the Semantic keyword-based search on structured data sources EU COST actions. Ramampiaro's main research interests include information retrieval, information extraction, text mining, big data, and management of data/information in non-traditional environments.
I am teaching/lecturing in the following courses:
- TDT4117 Information Retrieval
- IT8802 Advanced Information Retrieval (Doctoral course)
- TDT4305 Big Data Architecture
- IT3902 - Informatics Postgraduate Thesis: Data and Information Management
In addition to these, I have previously been involved in a wide range of topics, including Digital Library and Computer Science (introductory course).
I have been involved in a number of projects during recent years, including:
- MUSED - Strategic Research Project (2016-2019)
Role: Principal Investigator
Funding 1 PhD and 1 Postdoc fellowship (approx. 1M USD)
- Big Data - Faculty Strategic Researh Area (2013-present)
Role: Project Coordinator/Leader.
Funding 2 PhD and 1 Postdoc fellowships (approx. 1M USD).
- "CAIM - Context-Aware Image Management" (2009-2013)
Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
Funded by the research council of Norway (the VERDIKT programe) - Approx. 1.5M USD
In addition I am participating in the following projects:
- Apache AsterixDB - Funded by NSF, currently an Apache project..
- ICT COST Action IC1307 - The European Network on Integrating Vision and Language (iV&L Net)
- ICT COST Action IC1302 - Semantic keyword-based search on structured data sources (KEYSTONE)
I have been / am main supervisor for the following PhD students:
- Massimiliano Ruocco (Main supervisor, graduated in 2014).
Current position: Research Scientist at Telenor and Adjunct Associate Professor at NTNU
- Tarik Salem (expected graduation in 2018)
- Shweta Tiwari (expected graduation in 2019)
In addition, I have been / am co-supervisor for the following PhD students:
- Eliezer de Souza da Silva (expected graduation in 2019)
- Audun Vennesland (expected graduation in 2018)
- Jan Rybak (expected graduation in 2017)
- Naimdjon Takhirov (graduated in 2013)
- Nattiya Kanhabua (graduated in 2012)
Visting Scholars/PhD Students
- Huamin Ren (Sept. 2011 - July 2012): One-year visting PhD Student from the Chinese Academy of Science, China.
- George Ruß (Aug. 2010 - Oct. 2010): Visiting PhD student from the Computational Intelligence Research Group, University of Magdeburg, Germany.
- 2012 - 2013: Dr. Chongsheng Zhang. ERCIM Postdoctoral fellow. Duration: 12 months.
- 2012 - 2013: Dr. George Almpanidis. ERCIM Postdoctoral fellow. Duration: 12 months.
- 2007: Dr. Damien Avoce. ERCIM Postdoctoral fellow. Duration: 9 months.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Geo-Temporal Distribution of Tag Terms for Event-Related Image Retrieval. Information Processing & Management. vol. 51 (1).
- (2014) Learning to Rank for Personalized Fashion Recommender Systems via Implicit Feedback. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8891.
- (2014) A scalable algorithm for extraction and clustering of event-related pictures. Multimedia tools and applications. vol. 70 (1).
- (2013) Event-Related Image Retrieval: Exploring Geographical and Temporal Distribution of User Tags. International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval.
- (2013) Exploring Temporal Proximity and Spatial Distribution of Terms in Web-based Search of Event-Related Images. ACM Hypertext Proceedings.
- (2011) DNA Sequence Search Using Content-Based Image Search Approach. Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing. vol. 93.
- (2011) Supporting BioMedical Information Retrieval: The BioTracer Approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6990.
- (2011) NTNU@MediaEval 2011 Social Event Detection Task (SED). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 807.
- (2010) BioMedical Information Retrieval: The BioTracer Approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6266.
- (2005) Using the MOWAHS characterisation framework for development of mobile work applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3547.
- (2004) A Locking Model for Mobile Databases in Mobile Environments. IASTED International Conference. Applied Informatics. Proceedings.
- (2004) CAGISTrans: Providing Adaptable Transactional Support for Cooperative Work - An Extended Treatment. Journal of Special Topics in Information Technology and Management. vol. 05 (1/2).
- (2003) Requirement Indicators for Mobile Work: The MOWAHS Approach. IASTED International Conference. Applied Informatics. Proceedings.
- (2000) Supporting Distributed Cooperative Work in CAGIS. IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications SEA : Proceddings.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Cumulative citation recommendation: classification vs. ranking. Proceedings of the 36th international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval.
- (2013) KBAAA: A Web-based Toolkit for the Assessment and Analysis of Knowledge Base Acceleration Systems. Proceedings of the Open research Areas in Information Retrieval (OAIR 2013).
- (2013) Multi-step Classification Approaches to Cumulative Citation Recommendation. Proceedings of the Open research Areas in Information Retrieval (OAIR 2013).
- (2012) Exploratory Analysis on Heterogeneous Tag-Point Patterns for Ranking and Extracting Hot-Spot Related Tags. Proceedings of the 5th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Location-Based Social Networks (LSBN'2012).
- (2010) Supporting Evidence-Based Software Engineering with Collaborative Information Retrieval. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Collaborative Computing: Networking, Applications and Worksharing.
- (2010) Event Clusters Detection on Flickr Images using a Suffix-Tree Structure. Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM2010).