Ida Nilstad Pettersen
Background and activities
I am Associate Professor in transition design and Deputy Head of Department for Research at the Department of Design, with a PhD (2013) in design for sustainability.
My research addresses relations between design, everyday practices, and societal change, and the role of design in sustainability transitions and sociotechnical and socioecological transformation. Over the last years, consumption (e.g., energy and materials use, circular economy), urban development and urban natures have been main interests, focusing on topics such as inclusion, cocreation and experimental exploration of human-nature relations, possible futures, and alternative ways of living and working.
I have worked on these topics in interdisciplinary EU and RCN projects, in cross-sector collaborations, in supervision of PhD and master’s projects, and in teaching. I currently also coordinate the department’s Design for Sustainability group and lead the PhD programme in Design (PHDESIG).
- Design for sustainability transitions, social practice theory, more-than-human theories and approaches, participatory design, consumption, urban development, urban natures
- CCSDI, Cluster for Co-creative Service Design and Innovation (2017-2022), RCN HELSEVEL
- TRANS-URBAN-EU-CHINA (2018-2021), H2020 Research and Innovation Programme
- Circ€uit, The Circular European Economy Innovative Training Network (2016-2020), H2020 Marie Skłodowska Curie Innovative Training Network
- 3C // Co-constructing city futures (2016-2019), RCN Idélab (sandpit) Cities that work
- Hug the streets (2016-2019), RCN Idélab (sandpit) Cities that work
- The Medical Home (2013-2016), RCN PRAKSISVEL
- MINDER, Methodologies for improvement of non-residential buildings' day-to-day energy-efficiency reliability (2013-2016), RCN ENERGIX
Teaching and supervision
- TPD4210 Sustainability Transitions (new course 2022, course coordinator)
- TPD4500 Design 9, Specialisation Project (course coordinator)
- TPD4852 Experts in Teamwork Village Designing in Urban Natures (2021)
- Supervision: TPD4500 Design 9, TPD4505 Design Theory and TPD4900 Industrial Design Engineering, Master's Thesis
- PhD supervisor
- TPD4500 - Design 9, Specialization Project
- TPD4910 - Industrial Ecology, Master's Thesis
- TPD4505 - Design Theory, Specialization Course
- TPD4900 - Industrial Design Engineeering, Master's Thesis
- PD8301 - Design for Sustainability - Individual PhD course
- TPD4210 - Sustainability Transitions
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Emerging circular economies: Discourse coalitions in a Norwegian case. Sustainable Production and Consumption. vol. 26C.
- (2020) Consumer engagement in the circular economy: Exploring clothes swapping in emerging economies from a social practice perspective. Sustainable Development. vol. 28 (1).
- (2019) FM perceptions on occupant impact and the shaping of occupant engagement practice. Facilities. vol. 37 (11/12).
- (2019) Power and Politics in Design for Transition. Conference proceedings of the Design Management Academy. vol. 2 (1).
- (2019) User acceptance and adoption of circular offerings in the fashion sector: insights from user-generated online reviews. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 231.
- (2019) Speculative and Critical Design — Features, Methods, and Practices. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 1 (1).
- (2019) Consumer acceptance of edible insects and design interventions as adoption strategy. International Journal of Food Design. vol. 4 (1).
- (2018) Consumption in the Circular Economy: A Literature Review. Sustainability. vol. 10 (8).
- (2018) Care relationships at stake? Home healthcare professionals' experiences with digital medicine dispensers - a qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 18 (26).
- (2017) Ambitions at work: Professional practices and the energy performance of non-residential buildings in Norway. Energy Research & Social Science. vol. 32.
- (2016) Fostering absolute reductions in resource use: the potential role and feasibility of practice-oriented design. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 132.
- (2016) Key issues for enhancing citizen participation in co-constructing city futures. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1776.
- (2015) Towards practice-oriented design for sustainability: the compatibility with selected design fields. International Journal of Sustainable Engineering. vol. 8 (3).
- (2013) Framing the role of design in transformation of consumption practices: beyond the designer-product-user triad. International Journal of Technology Management. vol. 63 (1/2).
- (2008) The Ethics in Balancing Control and Freedom when Engineering Solutions for Sustainable Behaviour. International Journal of Sustainable Engineering. vol. 1 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2018) The tree as method: co-creating with urban ecosystems. Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference: Short Papers, Situated Actions, Workshops and Tutorial - Volume 2.
- (2017) The Future of Design for Sustainable Behaviour, Revisited. Sustainability Through Innovation in Product Life Cycle Design.
- (2017) Consumer and user acceptance in the circular economy: what are researchers missing?. PLATE: Product Lifetimes And The Environment.
- (2017) Design for endring av praksis. Velferdsteknologi i praksis.
- (2016) "By Their [Data] You Will Know Them": Historical Reflections on Capturing Patterns in Everyday Life. Everyday Futures.
- (2016) What ideas of users and their lifestyles exist amongst actors involved in the design and delivery of heating technologies?. Daily life, digital technologies and energy demand – A working paper collection.
- (2015) Practice-oriented research into energy management and use in non-residential buildings: the reliability gap framework. eceee Summer Study proceedings. eceee 2015 Summer Study First fuel now.
- (2014) How do material objects transcend the boundaries between professional and domestic practices?. Practices, the Built Environment and Sustainability – A Thinking Note Collection.
- (2014) Service Innovation and Welfare Technology for Sustainable Home Medication: Insights from Social Practice Theory. Proceedings of DRS 2014: Design's big debates. Design Research Society Biennal international conference 16-19 June 2014.
- (2020) The case study “Framtidsbilder Trondheim sentrum 2050”. Universitetet i Oslo. 2020.
- (2013) Changing Practices: The Role of Design in Supporting the Sustainability of Everyday Life. 2013. ISBN 978-82-471-4361-2.