Background and activities
My main research area of interest is understanding the interplay between thermo-mechanical processing, microstructure and mechanical properties of metallic materials, mainly steel and aluminium. The scale ranges from nanoscale (precipitates and particles) through micro scale (grain structure) to macro scale (final products/structures).
Some of my recent work includes in-situ testing in the scanning electron microscope (SEM) combined with digital image correlation (DIC). This technique requires that you have markers in/on the material that you can trace during deformation. We have used both the microstructure as specific marker, but also the gold remodelling teqchnique, where a high density of small gold droplets are formed. The latter technique gives a very high resolution of the strain field during deformation.
Another topic I been working with the last years is solid state bonding of dissimilar materials. E.g aluminium and steel have been bonded together through rolling, heat treated and mechanical tested. The heat treatments leads to formation of intermetallic phases, which strongly influence the properties of the bond. Alloying elements in the bulk materials influence the initiation and growth of the intermetallic phases in different ways.
Courses I have been teaching and responsible for the last years:
- Introduction to materials science TMT4171
- Microstructure and properties of metals TMT4240
- Experts in Team: A bright, light and strong future with materials TMT4850
- Applied electron microscopy (PhD course) MT8219
Links the department and other large research centers I am involved in:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Relationship between Al-Ni intermetallic Phases and Bond Strength in Roll Bonded Steel-Aluminum Composites with Nickel Interlayers. Metals. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) The influence of silicon in EN AW 6082 alloys on the bond strength in cold pressure welding. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 2113 (1).
- (2019) EBSD characterization of the microstructure evolution in (σ, χ)-containing SDSS subjected to long term heating. ISOPE - International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Proceedings. vol. 4.
- (2019) The effect of elastic strain and small plastic deformation on tensile strength of a lean Al-Mg-Si alloy. Metals. vol. 9 (12).
- (2019) Comparing In Situ DIC Results from an Etched Surface with a Gold Speckled Surface. Metals. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) Characterization of the Density and Spatial Distribution of Dispersoids in Al-Mg-Si Alloys. Metals. vol. 9 (1).
- (2018) Influence of thermomechanical processing sequence on properties of AA6082-IF steel cold roll bonded composite sheet. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 15.
- (2018) Influence of Stacking Sequence and Intermediate Layer Thickness in AA6082-IF Steel Tri-Layered Cold Roll Bonded Composite Sheets. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 767 KEM.
- (2018) Effect of tungsten on the precipitation kinetics and localized corrosion resistance of super duplex stainless steels. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 2018-April.
- (2018) Microstructure Evolution in Super Duplex Stainless Steels Containing σ-Phase Investigated at Low-Temperature Using In Situ SEM/EBSD Tensile Testing. Metals. vol. 8 (7).
- (2017) Effect of microstructure on the corrosion resistance of duplex stainless steels: Materials performance maps. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 8.
- (2017) The effect of alloying elements on the ductility of Al-Mg-Si alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 693.
- (2017) The Effect of Heating Rate on the Density and Spatial Distribution of Dispersoids during Homogenisation of 6xxx Aluminium Alloys. Materials Science Forum. vol. 877.
- (2016) The Effect of Sample Preparation on Quantification of Retained Austenite in Supermartensitic Stainless Steel Studied by EBSD and XRD. ISOPE - International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Proceedings.
- (2016) Work-hardening and ductility of artificially aged AA6060 aluminium alloy. Mechanics of materials (Print). vol. 97.
- (2015) Permanent effect of a cryogenic spill on fracture properties of structural steels. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 102.
- (2015) Influence of microstructure on work-hardening and ductile fracture of aluminium alloys. Materials & Design. vol. 70.
- (2015) Crystal plasticity finite element simulations of pure bending of aluminium alloy AA7108. International Journal of Material Forming. vol. 9 (4).
- (2014) Influence of processing route on the work-hardening and ductile fracture of an AA6060 aluminium alloy. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.
- (2014) The effect of elastic straining on a 6060 Aluminium alloy during natural or artificial ageing. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.