Johan Berg Pettersen
Background and activities
I have 15 years of experience in use and development of methods for life cycle assessment (LCA), mainly applied to oil/gas extraction, transport and infrastructure, and space technologies, as well as numerous other land based industries. I was co-founder and manager of the LCA consultancy MiSA, and I have worked as researcher and lecturer in adjunct positions at NTNU, University of Agder (UiA) Department of engineering science, and UiT - The Arctic University of Norway Department of arctic and marine biology. I have also been engaged in the establishment and development of innovation clusters within the aquaculture supply industry, and water technologies.
My research interests are the environmental aspects of production and product development, and I am mainly working with aquaculture and product manufacturing. I teach aluminium product innnovation in cooperation with NAPIC, and lead the life cycle assessment work in the recently started H2020 project RemovAl investigating possible uses of bauxitt residue (red mud) from primary aluminium production.
Research, to me, is most exciting when it allows insights into actual product systems. I seek partners for sustainable engineering and increased competitiveness in Norwegian and European industry.
I am study program director for energy and sustainability at the Faculty of Engineering, and study proram manager for the international master studies at the Industrial Ecology Programme:
- International MSc in Industrial Ecology (MSINDECOL)
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Circular Economy (MSCE)
- TEP4295 Environmental analysis and industrial ecology (course coordinator)
- TEP4225 Energy and environment (lecturer)
- TMM4285 Life cycle performance of aluminium products (lecturer)
I regularly contribute lectures in sustainability and sustainability assessment for marine resources and aquaculture, manufacturing and metallurgy.
Smart Water Cluster Norwegian water technology innnovation cluster (2011-2016)
NCE Aquatech Cluster Norwegian Centre of Expertise in sustainable aquaculture technology (2017--)
RemovAl - Removing the waste streams from the primary Aluminum production in Europe (2018-2022)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Life cycle assessment of recirculating aquaculture systems: A case of Atlantic salmon farming in China. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 23 (5).
- (2017) Life cycle impact assessment in the arctic: Challenges and research needs. Sustainability. vol. 9 (9).
- (2017) Comparative life cycle assessment of tailings management and energy scenarios for a copper ore mine: A case study in Northern Norway. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 164.
- (2014) Lifecycle Assessment and Lifecycle Costing of Aluminium Wrought-to-Wrought Recycling. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.
- (2013) Investigating the Carbon Footprint of a University - The case of NTNU. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 48.
- (2013) Greenhouse gas emissions from life cycle assessment of Norwegian food production systems. Acta agriculturæ Scandinavica. Section A, Animal science. vol. 62 (4).
- (2008) Critical review: Life-cycle inventory procedures for long-term release of metals. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 42 (13).
- (2008) Occupational health impacts: offshore crane lifts in life cycle assessment. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. vol. 13 (5).
- (2006) Marine Ecotoxic Effect of Pulse-Emissions in Life-Cycle Impact Assessment. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. vol. 25 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2014) Green Procurement as a Means Towards Resilient Public Organizations. Proceedings of the 20th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference (ISDRC 2014).
- (2013) A Guide to Better Wells: Environmental Life-Cycle Assessment of Historical, Current and Future Best Practice in Drilling. SPE Offshore Europe Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, 3-6 September, Aberdeen, UK.
- (2011) Forutsetninger for biogassproduksjon i Norge. En flerfaglig casestudie av Ørland og Frosta. 2011. ISBN 9788214050851.
- (2007) Development and application of life-cycle inventory and impact assessment methods. 2007. ISBN 978-82-471-5613-1.
- (2007) Overall evaluation of offshore drilling fluid technology: Development and application of life-cycle inventory and impact assessment methods. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2007. ISBN 978-82-471-5613-1. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (251).
- (2004) Marine ecotoxic pulse effects in LCIA. 2004. IndEcol working papers (2004/9).
- (2004) Økoeffektiv elektrisitetsproduksjon: Vindkraft i et livsløpsperspektiv. 2004. Industrial Ecology Theses (4).