Associate ProfessorDepartment of Information Security and Communication Technology Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Background and activities
I am an Associate Professor at the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology, NTNU. I received my Ph.D. from NTNU in December 2016, supervised by Prof. Harald Øverby and co-supervised by Prof. Danilo Gligoroski and Assis. Prof. Gergely Biczók. My research interests lie in the theoretical and practical challenges that arise in storage of big data. This broadly includes the areas of information theory, coding theory, and computer systems. Recently, I have worked on link scheduling and node scheduling problems in multi-hop wireless networks. I was a visitor at the research group of Prof. Deniz Gunduz at Imperial College London during the autumn semester 2017 where I was working on wireless caching in 5G.
My Master degree is in the area of wireless and mobile communications from the Institute of Telecommunications, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University - Skopje, Macedonia.
During my Ph.D., I have cooperated with the Transfer Technology Office at NTNU and based on the latest research in the area of erasure coding we were granted several fundings:
- H2020 EIC SME INSTRUMENT-2-2018-2020, duration of 3 years
- 0.7 mil. NOK from Innovation Norway, 2016
- 4.3 mil. NOK from the Research Council of Norway, Program on Commercializing R&D Results (FORNY 2020), 2015
- 2.5 mil. NOK from the Research Council of Norway, Program on Commercializing R&D Results (FORNY 2020), 2014
- 1.1 mil. NOK from NTNU Discovery, 2013
- 0.5 mil. NOK from Brukerstyrt Regional Innovasjonsarena (BRIA), 2013
I am a co-founder at MemoScale AS. MemoScale is a provider of software solutions for data protection in storage systems. Please check the web page for more information.
- Coding techniques for data protection:
- Balanced Locally Repairable codes (Systematic codes where the number of ones in each row and column are equal for the parity nodes);
- HashTag Erasure codes (Explicit construction of high rate MDS codes with an arbitrary sub-packetization level that achieve near-optimal or optimal repair bandwidth depending on the sub-packetization level, and they are optimized in terms of random I/Os and multiple failures);
- Parity-splitting of HashTag codes that enables two ways of repairing the data by using locally repairable codes or regenerating codes;
- Practical implementations of these codes in Hadoop release 3.0.0-alpha2;
- Wireless multi-hop communications;
- Resource allocation in IEEE 802.15.4e;
- Wireless caching in 5G;
- Optical packet switched networks.
- D. J. Vergados, A. Michalas, K. Kralevska, and D. D. Vergados, "Evaluation of HTTP/DASH Adaptation Algorithms on Vehicular Networks," Global Information Infrastructure and Networking Symposium (GIIS 2018)
- N. Mital, K. Kralevska, D. Gündüz, and C. Ling, "Storage-Repair Bandwidth Trade-off for Wireless Caching with Partial Failure and Broadcast Repair," IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW 2018)
- L. Jaccheri, S. Khodambashi, K. De Moor, O. Ozgobek, K. Kralevska, "Who Will Be the Leaders in Top Academic Positions in Entertainment Computing?,” International Conference on Entertainment Computing Workshop (IFIP-ICEC’18)
- Danilo Gligoroski, Katina Kralevska, Rune E. Jensen, and Per Simonsen, "Network Traffic Driven Storage Repair," Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Big Data Intelligence, 2018
- Katina Kralevska and Danilo Gligoroski, "An Explicit Construction of Systematic MDS Codes with Small Sub-packetization for All-Node Repair," IEEE DataCom 2018
- K. Kralevska, D. J. Vergados, Y. Jiang, and A. Michalas, "A Load Balancing Algorithm for Resource Allocation in IEEE 802.15.4e Networks," IEEE PerCom 2018
- D. J. Vergados, N. Amelina, Y. Jiang, K. Kralevska, and O. Granichin, "Towards Optimal Distributed Node Scheduling in a Multihop Wireless Network through Local Voting," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 400-414, Jan. 2018
- D. J. Vergados, N. Amelina, Y. Jiang, K. Kralevska, and O. Granichin, "Local Voting: Optimal Distributed Node Scheduling Algorithm for Multihop Wireless Networks," In IEEE Conf. on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), pages 1014–1015, 2017
- D. Gligoroski, K. Kralevska, R. E. Jensen, and P. Simonsen "Repair Duality with Locally Repairable and Locally Regenerating Codes," IEEE DataCom 2017
- K. Kralevska, "Applied Erasure Coding in Networks and Distributed Storage," Ph.D. thesis, Dec. 2016
- K. Kralevska, D. Gligoroski, R. E. Jensen, and H. Øverby, "HashTag Erasure Codes: From Theory to Practice," Accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Big Data, 2017
- K. Kralevska, D. Gligoroski, and H. Øverby, "Balanced Locally Repairable Codes," In Proceedings of 9th International Symposium on Turbo Codes and Iterative Information Processing (ISTC), pp. 280-284, Sept. 2016
- K. Kralevska, D. Gligoroski, and H. Øverby, "General Sub-packetized Access Optimal Regenerating Codes," IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1281-1284, July 2016
- T. D. Assefa, K. Kralevska, and Y. Jiang, "Performance Analysis of LTE Networks with Random Network Coding," In Proceedings of 39th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO), pp. 601-606, May 2016
- G. Biczók, Y. Chen, K. Kralevska, and H. Øverby, "Combining Forward Error Correction and Network Coding in Bufferless Networks: a Case Study for Optical Packet Switching," IEEE 17th International Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), 2016
- K. Kralevska, H. Øverby, and D. Gligoroski, "Coded Packet Transport for Optical Packet/Burst Switched Networks," In Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), pp. 1 - 6, Dec. 2015
- D. Gligoroski, K. Kralevska, and H. Øverby, "Minimal Header Overhead for Random Linear Network Coding," In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communication Workshop (ICCW), pp. 680 - 685, June 2015
- K. Kralevska, H. Øverby, and D. Gligoroski, "Joint Balanced Source and Network Coding," 22nd Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), Telecommunication Society 2014, ISBN 978-1-4799-6190-0, pp. 589-592
- D. Gligoroski and K. Kralevska, "Families of Optimal Binary Non-MDS Erasure Codes," IEEE Proceedings on International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), ISBN 978-1-4799-5186-4, pp. 3150-3154, 2014
- K. Kralevska, Z. Hadzi-Velkov, and H. Øverby, "Asymptotic Performance of Bidirectional Dual-Hop Amplify-and-Forward Systems," Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol. 231, pp. 283-289, 2014
- K. Kralevska, D. Gligoroski, and H. Øverby, "Balanced XOR-ed Coding," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8115, pp. 161-172, 2013
- K. Kralevska and Z. Hadzi-Velkov, "Asymptotic Performance of Amplify-and-Forward Relay Systems with On-off Relaying," Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, vol. 150, pp. 119-127, 2012
- "Network Coding over GF(2)" , Application No. US14/902,251 (granted)
- "Coding in Galois Fields with Reduced Complexity", Application No. PCT/EP2015/063337 (pending)
- "Systematic Coding Technique", Application No. US 9,430,443 (granted)
- "Systematic Erasure Coding Technique", Application No. GB2545737 (granted)
- "Locally Repairable Erasure Codes", Application No. GB1608441.0 (pending)
- "Regenerating - Locally Repairable Codes", Application No. GB1613575.8 (pending)
- "Regenerating - Locally Repairable Codes", Application No. GB1616704.1 (pending)
From August - December 2017, I was Faculty Board member representing the temporary scientific staff.
I am an active member of the Leadership program for Women in Computer Science WeLead.
We participated in Grace Hopper 2015 organized by the Anita Borg Institute. In April 2016, I attended the 1st European Celebration of Women in Computing in Brussels.
Additionally, I was responsible for organizing Lunch Colloquiums at our Department.
I have participated in the following schools:
- The European School of Information Theory (ESIT) - April 2016, Gothenburg - Sweden, organized by Chalmers University of Technology and my participation was financed by the UNIFOR;
- SPCodingSchool - January 2015, Campinas - Brazil; organized by UNICAMP and my participation was financed by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP);
- Network Coding Training - November 2013, Palo Alto - USA; organized by CodeOn technologies and my participation was financed by NTNU Discovery;
- Mobile Phone Programming School - August 2013, Aalborg - Denmark; organized by Aalborg University and my participation was financed by the UNIFOR.