Background and activities
My research and teaching interest spans a broad set of topics in the field of ethics, in particular research ethics, food ethics, clinical ethics, animal ethics and empirical ethics.
Current research projects and groups
PREMETIKK Parental decision-making with regard to extremely premature newborns
National training initiative to make better use of biobanks and health registry data
Biobank Norway ELSI Common service
HUNT-GENES K.G. Jebsen-center for genetic epidemiology, NTNU
HARVEST Better health by harvesting biobanks
RESET Research Group on the Ethos of Technology
MHEtikk Research Group on Medical Ethics
Some current appointments
Head of the Norwegian Unit of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics
The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (The HUNT Study), Chairman of HUNT4 Ethics committee
Head of MH Examen philosophicum working group
Member of the Regional committee for medical and health research ethics
NTNU Biotechnology, Member of Responsible Research and Innovation Steering group
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) The Ethics of the Meat Paradox. Environmental Ethics. vol. 38 (2).
- (2016) Think Global, Buy National: CSR, Cooperatives and Consumer Concerns in the Norwegian Food Value Chain. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics. vol. 29 (3).
- (2013) We're not in it for the money - lay people's moral intuitions on commercial use of 'their' biobank. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy. vol. 16 (2).
- (2012) Peeking into the black box of privacy : biobank participants on the importance of recognition. Norsk Epidemiologi. vol. 21 (2).
- (2010) Biobank research and the welfare state project: the HUNT story. Critical Public Health. vol. 20 (4).
- (2010) Das persönliche Genom: Abschied von Privatheit und Zustimmung in der Biobankforschung?. Berliner Debatte INITIAL: Zeitschrift für sozialwissenschaflichen Diskurs. vol. 21 (4).
- (2010) Privacy and Property in the Biobank Context. HEC Forum. vol. 22 (3).
- (2009) Personal autonomy and informed consent. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy. vol. 12 (1).
- (2008) Biobank research and the right to privacy. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics. vol. 29 (4).
- (2008) When is normative recruitment legitimate?. Etikk i praksis. vol. 2 (2).
- (2005) Not worth the paper it's written on? Informed consent and biobank research in a Norwegian context. Critical Public Health. vol. 15 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fair, local and environmentally sound? Corporate social responsibility in Norwegian food production. Know your food. Food ethics and innovation.
- (2015) Er vi forpliktet til å produsere mat i Norge? Om det økologiske og økonomiske grunnlaget for norsk matproduksjon. Norske Matvarer - Verdier, muligheter og utfordringer.
- (2013) Gnawing doubt: eating animals and the promise of cultured meat. The ethics of consumption. The citizen, the market and the law.
- (2011) Harm to dead persons. Kant: Here, Now and How. Essays in honour of Truls Wyller.
- (2009) Duties and Rights of Biobank Participants: Principled Autonomy, Consent, Voluntariness and Privacy. The Ethics of Research Biobanking.
- (2009) The Health dugnad: Biobank participation and the solidary pursuit of the common good. The Ethics of Research Biobanking.
- (2008) The informed consenters: governing biobanks in Scandinavia. BIOBANKS Governance in comparative perspective.
- (2015) Folkehelselandsbyen 2015. 2015.
- (2014) Folkehelselandsbyen 2014. 2014.