Background and activities
Michail Giannakos is an associate professor of interaction design and learning technologies at the Department of Computer Science of NTNU, and Research Director of the Center for Excellent IT Education (Excited) - Excited is one of the 8 centres for excellence education (SFU) of Norway. Giannakos has co-authored more than 100 manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals and conferences (including Computers & Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Behaviour & Information Technology, BJET, ACM TOCE, CSCL, Interact, C&C, IDC, IEEE ICALT to mention few) and has served as an evaluator for the EC and the NSF. He is member on the executive board of IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology, and has served/serves in various organization committees (e.g., general chair, associate chair), program committees as well as editor and guest editor on highly recognized journals (e.g., IEEE Multimedia, Computers in Human Behavior, ACM TOCE). He has worked at several research projects funded by diverse sources like EC, Microsoft Research, The Research Council of Norway (RCN), US-NSF, German agency for international academic cooperation (DAAD) and Cheng Endowment; Giannakos is also a recipient of a Marie Curie/ERCIM fellowship, the Norwegian CAREER award and he is one of the outstanding academic fellows of NTNU (2017-2021).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Multimodal data as a means to understand the learning experience. International Journal of Information Management. vol. 48.
- (2019) Exploring children’s learning experience in constructionism-based coding activities through design-based research. Computers in Human Behavior.
- (2019) Coding activities for children: Coupling eye-tracking with qualitative data to investigate gender differences. Computers in Human Behavior.
- (2019) Explaining User Experience in Mobile Gaming Applications: An fsQCA Approach. Internet Research.
- (2019) Building pipelines for educational data using AI and multimodal analytics: A “grey‐box” approach. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- (2019) Coding games and robots to enhance computational thinking: How collaboration and engagement moderate children’s attitudes?. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. vol. 21.
- (2018) From players to makers: An empirical examination of factors that affect creative game development. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. vol. 18.
- (2018) Influence of Data Analysis, Entrepreneurial and Business Skills on Information Technology Firms: A Dynamic Capabilities Approach. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS).
- (2018) Learning analytics for learning design: A systematic literature review of analytics-driven design to enhance learning. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.
- (2018) Gaze-Driven Design Insights to Amplify Debugging Skills: A Learner-Centered Analysis Approach. Journal of Learning Analytics. vol. 8 (3).
- (2018) Supporting adaptive learning pathways through the use of learning analytics: developments, challenges and future opportunities. Interactive Learning Environments. vol. 26 (2).
- (2018) The human side of big data: Understanding the skills of the data scientist in education and industry. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON. vol. 2018-April.
- (2018) Discovering children's competences in coding through the analysis of Scratch projects. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON. vol. 2018-April.
- (2018) How do you feel about learning to code? Investigating the effect of children’s attitudes towards coding using eye-tracking. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. vol. 17.
- (2018) Big Data and Business Analytics Ecosystems: Paving the way towards digital transformation and sustainable societies. Information Systems and E-Business Management. vol. 16 (3).
- (2018) Supporting school leadership decision making with holistic school analytics: Bridging the qualitative-quantitative divide using fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis. Computers in Human Behavior. vol. 89.
- (2018) Evidence for Programming Strategies in University Coding Exercises. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 11082.
- (2018) Project-based learning in IT education : definitions and qualities. UNIPED. vol. 41 (2).
- (2018) Learning in Smart Environments: User-centered Design and Analytics of an Adaptive Learning System. Smart Learning Environments. vol. 5 (24).