Background and activities
Michail Giannakos is an associate professor of interaction design and learning technologies at the Department of Computer Science of NTNU, and Research Director of the Center for Excellent IT Education (Excited) - Excited is one of the 8 centres for excellence education (SFU) of Norway. Giannakos has co-authored more than 100 manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals and conferences (including Computers & Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Behaviour & Information Technology, BJET, ACM TOCE, CSCL, Interact, C&C, IDC, IEEE ICALT to mention few) and has served as an evaluator for the EC and the NSF. He is member on the executive board of IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology, and has served/serves in various organization committees (e.g., general chair, associate chair), program committees as well as editor and guest editor on highly recognized journals (e.g., IEEE Multimedia, Computers in Human Behavior, ACM TOCE). He has worked at several research projects funded by diverse sources like EC, Microsoft Research, The Research Council of Norway (RCN), US-NSF, German agency for international academic cooperation (DAAD) and Cheng Endowment; Giannakos is also a recipient of a Marie Curie/ERCIM fellowship, the Norwegian CAREER award and he is one of the outstanding academic fellows of NTNU (2017-2021).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) From players to makers: An empirical examination of factors that affect creative game development. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction.
- (2018) Learning analytics for learning design: A systematic literature review of analytics-driven design to enhance learning. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.
- (2018) Supporting adaptive learning pathways through the use of learning analytics: developments, challenges and future opportunities. Interactive Learning Environments. vol. 26 (2).
- (2018) The human side of big data: Understanding the skills of the data scientist in education and industry. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2018) Discovering children's competences in coding through the analysis of Scratch projects. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON. vol. 2018-April.
- (2018) How do you feel about learning to code? Investigating the effect of children’s attitudes towards coding using eye-tracking. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. vol. 17.
- (2018) Big Data and Business Analytics Ecosystems: Paving the way towards digital transformation and sustainable societies. Information Systems and E-Business Management. vol. 16 (3).
- (2018) Supporting school leadership decision making with holistic school analytics: Bridging the qualitative-quantitative divide using fuzzy-set qualitative comparative analysis. Computers in Human Behavior.
- (2018) Evidence for Programming Strategies in University Coding Exercises. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 11082.
- (2018) Project-based learning in IT education : definitions and qualities. UNIPED. vol. 41 (2).
- (2018) Learning in Smart Environments: User-centered Design and Analytics of an Adaptive Learning System. Smart Learning Environments. vol. 1.
- (2017) Serious games as a malleable learning medium: The effects of narrative, gameplay, and making on students? performance and attitudes. British Journal of Educational Technology. vol. 48 (3).
- (2017) Identifying Dropout Factors in Information Technology Education: A Case Study. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Entertainment, engagement, and education: Foundations and developments in digital and physical spaces to support learning through making. Entertainment Computing. vol. 21.
- (2017) The role of contemporary skills in information technology professionals: An FsQCA approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10595 LNCS.
- (2017) Gamifying informal learning activities using interactive displays: an empirical investigation of students’ learning and engagement. Smart Learning Environments. vol. 4 (2).
- (2017) Investigating the potential of the flipped classroom model in K-12 ICT teaching and learning: An action research study. Educational Technology & Society. vol. 20 (1).
- (2017) Learning Analytics for Learning Design: Towards Evidence-Driven Decisions to Enhance Learning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10474.
- (2017) Motivating students with Mobiles, Ubiquitous applications and the Internet of Things for STEM (MUMI4STEM). IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Designing social commerce platforms based on consumers ’ intentions. Behavior and Information Technology. vol. 36 (12).