Background and activities
Michail Giannakos is an associate professor of interaction design and learning technologies at the Department of Computer Science of NTNU, and Research Director of the Center for Excellent IT Education (Excited) - Excited is one of the 8 centres for excellence education (SFU) of Norway. Giannakos has co-authored more than 100 manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals and conferences (including Computers & Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Behaviour & Information Technology, BJET, ACM TOCE, CSCL, Interact, C&C, IDC, IEEE ICALT to mention few) and has served as an evaluator for the EC and the NSF. He is member on the executive board of IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology, and has served/serves in various organization committees (e.g., general chair, associate chair), program committees as well as editor and guest editor on highly recognized journals (e.g., IEEE Multimedia, Computers in Human Behavior, ACM TOCE). He has worked at several research projects funded by diverse sources like EC, Microsoft Research, The Research Council of Norway (RCN), US-NSF, German agency for international academic cooperation (DAAD) and Cheng Endowment; Giannakos is also a recipient of a Marie Curie/ERCIM fellowship, the Norwegian CAREER award and he is one of the outstanding academic fellows of NTNU (2017-2021).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Identifying Dropout Factors in Information Technology Education: A Case Study. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Entertainment, engagement, and education: Foundations and developments in digital and physical spaces to support learning through making. Entertainment Computing. vol. 21.
- (2017) Gamifying informal learning activities using interactive displays: an empirical investigation of students’ learning and engagement. Smart Learning Environments. vol. 4 (2).
- (2017) Investigating the potential of the flipped classroom model in K-12 ICT teaching and learning: An action research study. Educational Technology & Society. vol. 20 (1).
- (2017) Learning Analytics for Learning Design: Towards Evidence-Driven Decisions to Enhance Learning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10474.
- (2017) Supporting adaptive learning pathways through the use of learning analytics: developments, challenges and future opportunities. Interactive Learning Environments.
- (2017) Designing social commerce platforms based on consumers ’ intentions. Behavior and Information Technology.
- (2017) Big data analytics capabilities: a systematic literature review and research agenda. Information Systems and E-Business Management.
- (2017) Reviewing the affordances of tangible programming languages: Implications for design and practice. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Mobile learning adoption through the lens of complexity theory and fsQCA. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Assessing Student Behavior in Computer Science Education with an fsQCA Approach: The Role of Gains and Barriers. ACM Transactions on Computing Education. vol. 17 (2).
- (2017) Investigating students’ use and adoption of with-video assignments: lessons learnt for video-based open educational resources. Journal of Computing in Higher Education.
- (2017) Fuzzy set analysis as a means to understand users of 21st-century learning systems: The case of mobile learning and reflections on learning analytics research. Computers in Human Behavior.
- (2017) Sense and sensibility in personalized e-commerce: How emotions rebalance the purchase intentions of persuaded customers. Psychology & Marketing. vol. 34 (10).
- (2017) Social Media and Analytics for Competitive Performance: A Conceptual Research Framework. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing. vol. 263.
- (2016) An international perspective on Facebook intrusion. Psychiatry Research. vol. 242.
- (2016) Cultural and Personality Predictors of Facebook Intrusion: A Cross-Cultural Study. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 7 (1895).
- (2016) Mobile Applications to Support Learning Activities in a Science Center. American Educational Research Association. Annual Meeting Program.
- (2016) Orchestrating 21st Century Learning Ecosystems using Analytics. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1601.
- (2016) Exploring the relationship between video lecture usage patterns and students' attitudes. British Journal of Educational Technology. vol. 47 (6).