Background and activities
Spring 2021 teaching:
- ENG1101 English Linguistics
- ENG1001 Global English
- ENG6023 Global English
I recently completed a PhD on the topic of academic English reading among Norwegian university students and the extent to which the use of both English and Norwegian in the university context may affect reading approaches and outcomes. As part of my project, I investigated English vocabulary knowledge, reading strategies, and reading fluency within different groups of Norwegian university students.
I am a member of the research groups AcqVA (Acquisition, Variation & Attrition) and VOCLEX (Vocabulary and the multilingual mental lexicon).
- Second language acquisition
- Reading in a second language
- Academic language
- Metacognitive awareness
- Parallel language use
- PhD in Linguistics
- MPhil English Linguistics and Language Acquisition (NTNU)
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science (Australian National University and Dalhousie University)
- SPRÅK3001 - Research Methods in Linguistics
- ENG2153 - First and Second Language Acquisition
- ENG6025 - Linguistics and Language Acquisition
- ENG1201 and ENG6010 English Proficiency (NTNU)
- ENG1101 and ENG6020 Linguistics (NTNU)
- ENG1001 and ENG6023 Global English (NTNU)
- Graduate and undergraduate human anatomy courses (University of Wollongong)
- Undergraduate human anatomy, nutrition and sports medicine courses (University of Canberra)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Words from where? Predictors of L2 English vocabulary among Norwegian university students. ITL - International Journal of Applied Linguistics.
- (2018) Comparing first and second language reading: the use of metacognitive strategies among Norwegian university students. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 12 (2).
- (2020) Presumptions, proficiencies, and parallel languages: Investigating academic English reading among Norwegian university students. 2020. ISBN 978-82-326-5052-1.
- (2015) Too cool for school? Sources of English language acquisition, attitudes, and academic reading ability among Norwegian university students. 2015.
- (2020) Preparing to publicly defend a PhD on 'Presumptions, proficiencies and parallel languages'. AcqVA lunch seminar ; 2020-11-09.
- (2019) Acquiring L2 English vocabulary – are hobbies getting students through university?. EuroSLA29 ; Lund, Sweden. 2019-08-28 - 2019-08-31.
- (2019) Acquiring L2 English vocabulary – are hobbies getting students through university?. AcqVA half-day seminar in Trondheim ; 2019-04-10 - 2019-04-10.
- (2019) Acquiring L2 English vocabulary: Are hobbies getting students through university?. AcqVA Retreat 2019 . AcqVA; Tromsø, Norway. 2019-06-03 - 2019-06-04.
- (2019) Comparing reading strategies in L1 and L2 academic reading. 3rd International Conference on Situating Strategy Use ; Osaka, Japan. 2019-10-13 - 2019-10-15.
- (2019) English vocabulary knowledge among Norwegian university students – Do they know what they need to know to say what they want to say?. Norwegian Forum for English for Academic Purposes (NFEAP) . NFEAP; Oslo, Norway. 2019-06-06 - 2019-06-07.
- (2019) English vocabulary knowledge among Norwegian university students – is everyone equally prepared for reading academic texts in English?. English and Foreign Language Research Seminar Series ; Trondheim, Norway. 2019-05-23 - 2019-05-23.
- (2019) English vocabulary knowledge and academic reading among Norwegian university students – do they know what they need to know?. Vocab@Leuven 2019 ; Leuven, Belgium. 2019-07-01 - 2019-07-03.
- (2018) Academic English reading among Norwegian university students. Nettverkssamling for studieverksteder og skrivesentre ; Oslo, Norway. 2018-11-08 - 2018-11-09.
- (2018) Comparing L1 and L2 reading: The use of metacognitive strategies among Norwegian university students. Norwegian Graduate Student Conference in Linguistics and Philology (NoSLiP) . LingPhil; Oslo, Norway. 2018-02-15 - 2018-02-16.
- (2018) Studying in a second language: How does the use of English language teaching resources in Norwegian universities affect students?. EuroSLA 28 ; Munster, Germany. 2018-09-05 - 2018-09-08.
- (2016) How does the use of English language teaching resources in Norwegian universities affect students?. Norwegian Graduate Student Conference in Linguistics and Philology (NoSLiP) 2016 ; Trondheim, Norway. 2016-10-06 - 2016-10-07.